Schools that should come to 6-man

sinfonian

11-man fan
Here is what I've got from the schools that could have chosen to play 6 man instead of 11 man:
D'Hanis (104) 3-7 (win against Runge)
Crosbyton (103) 2-8 (win against New Home)
Shamrock (100) 3-7 (win against Munday)
Hamlin (96) 9-1 (win against New Home and Baird)
Bartlett (94) 0-10
New Home (93) 1-9
Munday (92) 0-10
Ranger (91) 2-8 (win against Roby)
Booker (89) 1-9 (win against Beaver, OK size-99 students)
Baird (88) 4-6 ( win against Roby, Irion County)
Menard (87) 4-6 (win against Baird, Irion County)
Earth Spring Lake (85) 4-6 (win against Booker, Crosbyton)
Runge (83) 3-7
Irion County (83) 2-8 (win against Roby)
Roby (82) 0-5
Rocksprings (81) 5-5 (win against Menard, Irion County)
Bruni (78) 4-5
Burkeville (74) 1-8 (win was a forfeit)

Between these 18 teams, they had 48 wins between them . 16 of those wins were against each other and one was a forfeit. Only one team actually had a winning season and if you take that team away you have 24 wins between the other 17 teams that were not against each other. Seems like they would all do better if they moved up to six man.

D'Hanis could possibly fit in with Leaky in their district. The southwest area of Lubbock is a hot spot for growth, so New Home, I'm sure, will be 11 man / 2-A on the next realignment. Bruni has already consolidated with Mirando City due to enrollment numbers. The problem with Bruni is that they would have to travel some miles to play games.

For reference, here are their enrollments:

NAME ENROLLMENT
Crosbyton 103
Hamlin 96
Mertzon Irion County 83
Munday 92
Ranger 91
Baird 88
Bartlett 94
Booker 89
Bruni 78
Burkeville 74
D Hanis 104
Earth Springlake 85
Menard 87
New Home 93
Roby 82
Rocksprings 81
Runge 83
Shamrock 100

There's also Claude, which UIL aligned as 2A but they've chosen to play independent 6M.

If these schools can field an 11 man team and are happy in doing so, they should stay with it. Most of the time when the enrollment goes south of 75, they start running into the teens of actual players. That is when the beatings and forfeits begin, and they begin to realize they can no longer play that game. ( they really don't know what they are missing by hanging on)

coachj25":2ude6sx0 said:
I think Crosbyton made the playoffs. They are in the same district as New Home. Both teams beat Lockney.
You’re correct, Crosbyton made the playoffs. Unfortunately they’re going to take a beating round one.
I’ll keep my eye on Lockney. If participation dwindles due to continuous 1 and 2 win seasons it’s a possibility we may see them in the near future. They’re a hot spot for hosting Sixman games and even had the field markings and boundaries for a Sixman field put into their turf field.

BuffaloCountry":3aqmqtky said:
coachj25":3aqmqtky said:
I think Crosbyton made the playoffs. They are in the same district as New Home. Both teams beat Lockney.
You’re correct, Crosbyton made the playoffs. Unfortunately they’re going to take a beating round one.
I’ll keep my eye on Lockney. If participation dwindles due to continuous 1 and 2 win seasons it’s a possibility we may see them in the near future. They’re a hot spot for hosting Sixman games and even had the field markings and boundaries for a Sixman field put into their turf field.

Lockney turned in 138 last October. Doubtful they'll be joining 1A any time soon.

I saw the Irion County announcement on Twitter.

Back