Rule Question

Okay, thanks... I have watched some film but have not seen anyone moving. Other than YouTube, is there any web site that has 6 man games online?

6newbie":3sf9l6d2 said:
Okay, thanks... I have watched some film but have not seen anyone moving. Other than YouTube, is there any web site that has 6 man games online?
Search Sixman Magazine on ustream there are several game videos

The main thing to remember is three players have to be set, on the line of scrimmage, before the snap. We use motion a lot and the it's important to make sure only one is moving when the ball is snapped.

6newbie":3o6cakaf said:
I have not seen much 6 man football but can anyone be in motion? and can only one person be in motion like 11 man?
You have the weight of building a start-up 6man program
on your shoulders
and you haven't seen much 6man?

I'm somewhat speechless.

Doggie ... there are lots of examples of folks coaching six-man whose first game watching is also their first game coaching ... and that's been true for lots of years. I read a biography of my high school coach (back in Wisconsin) and learned his first football coaching job was at a rural school playing sixman in the 1940's.

It can be done ... today, you should be able to call upon the "experts" for advice either personally or through this board and take advantage of the easy availability of game film -- using "old fashioned" DVDs, any of the film sharing services (like HUDL) or even YouTube to learn more about the game.

In fact, my kid (going into 6th grade) is going to have a head coach who has, as far as I know, no coaching experience. I think he's shown up in the stands for some of our varsity games (he is a police officer, leaving the force to work at Lifegate, his wife already teaches here). But he will have some guys who have coached and will work with him and he is wise enough to ask the advice of other football coaches here, including a guy whose team won a state championship last year.

Would I prefer to have my head coach with prior game/coaching experience? Sure. But this ain't rocket surgery, either.

And a couple things.

This isn't a perfect world and what you like isn't often what you get.

How do you get "experience" without the opportunity to do? You could get me on a sidetrack about that, but I'm gonna pass.

Doggie-

What freeagent describes was our situation exactly- had never even heard of 6 man before our first season!! We started with a Junior High team, and this year will field both a JH and HS program, with our first full varsity schedule...

You guys have no idea what great resources you all are in sharing the information and details of the game...And while the "heart" of 6 man is in West Texas, the guys running the 6 Man programs in the DFW area (Lucas Christian, Dallas Covenant, Wylie Prep, Denton Calvary, THESA) are TRUE ambassadors of the game and have allowed programs like ours to not only exist, but to thrive...

Each one of these schools/coaches has helped us to build our program- Based on numbers from this year already, we are looking at having to field three teams next season (Varsity, JV, JH)....Without these guys, it never would have happened....Living proof that you can survive and hopefully thrive as a program...even when the first 6 Man game you have seen...is also the first one that you have coached!!!

Mark Baker
CHANT Chargers

Both of y'all are talkin about
little christian private schools.
Have there been successful UIL programs
started by a (several) first yr. coaches
who don't know 6man?
What if the school didn't really want football
so,
they continue to hire guys who may struggle?

You're right about football not being rocket science though.
A guy who can do typical guy stuff,
like remodeling his house or working on his truck
can figger it out.
I jus thought back to back newbies was rather weird.

Don't listen to dogface. I would rather have a coach that is willling to learn and ask questions than pretends to know it all. He has been begging for a job all spring and summer and knows everything about about six man football. Jus saying

back to one of the original questions....

They can all be in motion, but only one can be moving when the ball is snapped, just like 11-man

I don't believe thats exactly accurate.

1) Lineman cannot go into motion. If you see a lineman in motion, he has to "shift" off the line and come to a pause for 1 second before he can start a motion. You still have to maintain the 3 man on the LOS. So if you have 3 lineman on the LOS to begin with and one comes off, a back must come to the LOS.

2) you must have 3 lineman at the LOS.

3) all players can take part in a shift I believe except the center... but don't quote me on this one...I havent been in the rule book for awhile.

4) any person taking part of a shift must come to rest for 1 full second prior to the snap.

3) 1 player (slot, wing, back) other than a lineman may be in motion at the snap.

Best of luck to you Newbie6- Doggie- My mind may be slipping, but as I recall, the Little Christian 6 Man teams run about a 50/50 clip when playing Public school programs...I may be wrong, but believe that is roughly the data that was provided from the last couple of seasons...

I would argue it is even harder to build a program in these scenarios- don't have built in infrastructure (practice/game facility, weight room, equipment, etc...) I spend more of my time doing work of an AD than Coaching...And we are 100% volunteer...

I was turned down by 12 different ISD's here in the DFW area until we finally found one that would let us host our home games...Not a problem for an ISD coach...Practice at a public park, cutting out our practice space next to the 8-9 year old soccer teams...Love it, but has its own set of challenges that most ISD coaches don't have to deal with...

6 Newbie,
a. We run motion, message me and I can probably hook you up with some film
b. First 6man game I ever saw, I was a head coach in. It was middle school, but I wasn't any less worried. We went 7-1, though. Especially after I learned that we kicked off from the 30. And that a EP kick was worth 2. And that it was 15 yards for a first down. And that it was perfectly ok with everybody to 45 'em and dangerous not to.
c. Forget these guys, if you can't figure this out pretty quick, you're not trying. It ain't rocket surgery, or brain science for that matter, and don't let them make you think that it is.
d. making the switch, make yourself quit thinking that it's easy to throw deep (it ain't), it's easy to get in tight and run power plays against smaller teams (it ain't), direct snaps in spread are a good idea (they generally ain't, but we use them in certain situations), you should kick deep (normally, you shouldn't), motion is going to have much effect on the defensive alignment (it doesn't), fresh freshmen are better than tired seniors (they ain't), that having your defensive front play soft is a bad idea (it ain't, but you have to know when and how to do it). There's a few more, but otherwise, you know, just block and tackle those guys. It's football.
e. Read Underwood's book.
Regards,
Coach Akin
OC, Little Christian School State Champions 2012.

Thanks for the help... What you guys have posted has just reinstated what I thought was right...

As far as you haters... I didnt post on here I didnt know football... I simplely asked about 6 man... Football is football... You tackle right? You block right? you run and pass the ball right? you punt and kick right? you... well you get my point... My team will be ready to play will yours?

6 MAN FOOTBALL... Loving it already!

Back