Rule Changes for Practices Proposed

Insight

11-man fan
From DCTF.... Your thoughts?

“UIL med advisory board unanimously recommends to Legis. counsel to limit in-season full-contact in football to 90 min per week #txhsfb”

And with that, the Twittersphere proceeded to freak out, without any further details. Heck, we didn’t even know what “full-contact” entailed, and yet the social media world descended into chaos.

Eventually, though, as more details became available, everyone calmed down and realized…this really isn’t that big of a deal.

Smith has a very good breakdown of the committee’s recommendation, complete with quotes from top coaches, and it’s worth your time. For the “Too Long, Didn’t Read” crowd, here’s a summary:

-Yes, the UIL medical advisory committee unanimously recommended a limit of 90 minutes of full-contact practice per week during the season for high school football.

-However, by the definition of “full-contact” – which is, loosely, game speed and blocking/tackling all the way to the ground – most programs are already in compliance of the rule.

-The biggest keys here are in the details, like the “during the season” part. That means that in the preseason – when most of the actual teaching and technique refining goes on – teams can still act at the speed they need to in order to teach.

Actually,
it's the pre-season where most kids get injured or
receive a pre-injury blow.
I had already decided
that once a week
full speed/contact
should be sufficient.
Crenn22 also said his coach limited their beating each other up
and most lasted the season injury free.
A kid only has so many hits in them.
Why use them all up in prac.?
It's good enough for the pro's so...

The pros also only block a guy for a second or 3 before the ball is out, and arm tackle because they dont practice wrapping up and taking a guy to the ground in practice! You practice like you play, that is the standard I have always known. I have already been seeing way too much arm tackling and letting off blocks ... I do not want our game to become that.

Was talking with friends at the Gordon Clinic on Saturday; one mentioned that most of their concussion injuries happened during practice or pre-game warmups.

Except for open-field tackling, we don't do any tackling in practice except against a one-man sled (we would like to buy a tackling dummy). Let's face it -- especially with our teams, where you think you've got lots of bodies when you have more than 12 kids out there on the field -- tackling each other all week long isn't a real wise idea.

Somebody mentioned the Guardian Helmet Caps ($55 each), which they use in practices and warmups ... link at http://guardiancaps.com/store/ or http://guardiancaps.com/

It's good enough for the pro's so

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the pros have been playing this game for 15+ years. We are talking about trying to teach kids who have little or no experience with the game how to properly tackle and initiate contact, with time constraints. Now I know that most guys out there now probably fall well below the 90 minutes of time, I know that we do, but it just seems to me that we are traveling a slippery slope.

Back