RS football

Sixmanex_84

11-man fan
I'm an ex six man football player and I want some other people's opinions. Maybe it's just me but I've been wondering for a long time how Richland springs has such a good football team every year. I mean I can under stand how you can have a special kid come along every once an a while (Tyler ethridge) but every single year with only limited kids just seems out of the ordinary to me. I'm not trying to start anything just wanting other people's opinions.

Ok Ok Ok we give up, cats out the bag, .........it's the .......peanuts.. Goobs Goobers..1/2 # per day for lunch with 1 mason jar of Everclear

Sixmanex_84":3q1tzw4p said:
I'm an ex six man football player and I want some other people's opinions. Maybe it's just me but I've been wondering for a long time how Richland springs has such a good football team every year. I mean I can under stand how you can have a special kid come along every once an a while (Tyler ethridge) but every single year with only limited kids just seems out of the ordinary to me. I'm not trying to start anything just wanting other people's opinions.
You're right. It's not ordinary............ It's extraordinary.
All of the above are good attempts to explain this but all will fall short.
Naysayers will attempt to explain "it" by attributing it to cheating or importing players.
The reality is that we (humans) will always attempt to apply concrete logic to the abstract.
There are some things that just cannot be explained.....................

smokeyjoe53" There are some things that just cannot be explained.....................[/quote said:
It's kinda like UFO's or the JFK assassination. Or as doggie could appreciate lookin for sasquach.

The population sign reads 320 if I remember correctly. 99% of 320 means that about 317 of the population is pulling in one direction. And that direction is toward a State Championship each and every year. From my observations, the entire community is supportive of all of the activities of the school and students at Richland Springs.

Some towns talk about winning, and talk about having a good program, and talk about supporting, but, until they actually get involved like most of the R.S. people do, they will just be another "also ran".

Take for example the RS Booster club. Those are not all moms and dads of the kids. There are folks from all walks, some with grown kids and some who never had kids, who just want to give of their valuable time to support the program. None of the supporters is afraid of hard work. It seems that the harder it is, the better they like it.

I saw at one of their games, that one of their strongest supporters is a little 104 year old lady. She makes every home game they said.

The main cog of the program, the one who ties it all together and makes it all work, is the Head Coach and Athletic Director Jerry Burkhart. With the limited resources of a small school, and limited time to work, it takes a very talented individual to coordinate it all and keep the engine firing on all cylinders.

If any family would want to get a clear and close-up look at how they do it down at Richland Springs, just bring your kids and grandkids and be a part of the winning tradition!

They actually have a 5th quarter every home game. Now we don't get no 3rd or 4th quarter most of the time, but all the kids and parents and coaches have the 5th quarter at the local church after the game.......So just maybe they have 1 very extra set of hands

OBK, to put that myth to rest finally, why don't you go to the U.S. Census website and check the average income levels for San Saba county. If there were industry or any kind of jobs other than minimum wage available, I might see some validity in that.
You have to have it to give it.

Well thank you for all of y'all's opinions. I was just wondering because I lived in San Saba for 5 years and wondered how they were so good for so many years. I do know though that the right coach makes all the difference in the world. My soph. year we had a young coach that coached us to our first outright district championship in school history. So if you have a coach that can connect with kids you can be good year in an year out. ( me personally I'm hoping ole kliff does the same with tech). But that's all I was wondering about thanks for the input.

smokeyjoe53":3sgjy1dm said:
OBK, to put that myth to rest finally, why don't you go to the U.S. Census website and check the average income levels for San Saba county. If there were industry or any kind of jobs other than minimum wage available, I might see some validity in that.
You have to have it to give it.

You did not see the smiley at the end?

I knew you were just funning but some people actually believe that RS recruits players. I wasn't chastising just attempting to bury that dead horse ...........

It kinda like the ol' real estate saying..........location, location, location!

BUT as far as the Richland Springs Football Program goes, it's pretty simple..........coaching, coaching, coaching!

I want to tell you a few truths on how to acquire success in the football realm at the six man level. Yes, coaching has a lot to do with it, but its more than that. Much more. It is a rarity that you find a place where the sole purpose of living is for football. Everything at Richland Springs revolves around football. I wouldn't be surprised if football is the only thing keeping the budget afloat.
But with great accomplishment comes greater adversaries. Nothing comes without a price- a self sacrifice. If you want to know what it takes to be as successful as Richland Springs, you have to sell out to one sport just as they do. Sure, you play basketball, but you must enter into that sport with the mind frame of "How can this sport make me better for football?" The same goes for track and baseball. The sad truth is this: teenagers don't want to sell out to anything now-a-days. They are growing up in a world where everything comes instantaneously by the thumb print on a screen. It's hard for them to grasp the reality of what it took for six state championships to manifest.
If you want to mirror the type of success that Brownwood, Celina, Southlake Carrol, Fort Hancock, Stephenville, and Richland Springs has had, there is a dying to self agenda type order to the process. What I mean is this:
When the rest of the kids are getting ready to go on vacations, parties, etc. in the summer, you have to spend those times in the weight room, studying film, sweating over countless agility drills, diet, repetition, and building team friendships that seem like brotherhoods.
You have to get out of the state of mind that tells you, "is this really worth it? Why am I doing this? What's the point?"
I promise you, you will never succeed in anything if that is what you're dealing with between the eyes.

There must be an all out mentality towards whatever you do in this life in order to dominate the field you were created to take dominion over at this point in time.
Trust me, there is always a price to pay. Set aside that worthless Xbox360. There's no athletic growth in that. Tell your girlfriend she'll have to wait. Plenty of sharks in the ocean anyway. You need to completely reject the drugs and alcohol lifestyle. Winners don't have anything to do with that crap. I promise before God, there is no good that comes out of that lifestyle. It is a lie that the enemy of our souls have tricked us with. Leave those types of choices up to the feeble minded world chasers.
Now I'm not requesting you to become a monk. You just have to learn to discipline yourself from all the distractions of this life. Remember, everything in moderation.

I speak for myself when I say all of these things. For I have been through a lot in my short life. I have seen the good, the bad, and the really ugly.
It is possible to mimic what has been achieved by these juggernaut programs- but it will not come easy, and it won't come late. You must begin early. Jr High even.
Are you willing to dedicate such a microscopic six to seven years of your life towards a sport that comes and goes like a storm? That is the million dollar question.
I wish you the best of luck.
God bless,
TE

Well said, 13. It's really nothing mysterious about having a successful program. It's a rare thing though, because it is such hard work to get there. By the way, has anyone noticed that the head coaches at Richland Springs, Stephenville, and Stephenville Faith, all State Champions this year, and all amazingly successful in recent history, all played or coached under Art Briles? I would also venture a guess that those coaches are also strong believers in weight training, just like Briles. I've seen posts on the boards from folks who discount the value of the weight room, but the proof is in the pudding. High school boys are like anyone else. If they are willing to claim the vision and work their tails off, they can accomplish the extraordinary

Back