Roughing the Kicker

If the penalty was declined? Or if they accepted the Roughing the Kicker penalty and replayed the try from half the distance. Other than that, I can't think of a reason. Any other details that could help make it clearer?

Rephrasing the original question: Should Roughing the Kicker penalty be assessed on the KO following a successful extra point try?

Yes. The kicking team can either take the points and assess the penalty on the kickoff or take the penalty and replay the try. In 11 man, sometimes a team might take advantage of the 1.5 yard penalty and try to go for two, but obviously in 6 man you wouldn't do that, so you would take it on the kickoff.

With that explanation I can think of no reason why the penalty would not be assessed, other than mistakenly declining the penalty. This happened twice in the Throck- Rankin game. Didn't make sense to me......

Are you sure that it was Roughing the Kicker, not Running into the Kicker? Because if it was just running into, then that penalty is declined by rule if you take the points and cannot be assessed on the kick off.

The "kicking" signal is the same, the only difference is that if it was roughing, there would have been a personal foul signal prior to the "kicking" signal...

signal 38 followed by signal 30

The call was running into the kicker against Rankin...not assessed on kickoff.

Roughing the kicker would have been assessed on Kickoff. The official felt that it wasn't a personal foul.

Therefore, we declined the penelty and took the points.

I'm sure it was confusing cause I had several people ask the same Q.

Legacy Zebra":2aree97j said:
Are you sure that it was Roughing the Kicker, not Running into the Kicker? Because if it was just running into, then that penalty is declined by rule if you take the points and cannot be assessed on the kick off.
Edward Golden":2aree97j said:
Could the 5 yard penalty be marked on the kickoff? If so, why not take the penalty?
Says here that isn't an option. The only logical thing to do would be take the points and decline the penalty.

For this topic it might be easier to know it is a matter of a simple foul versus a personal foul. Roughing is a personal foul. Running into the kicker is not a personal foul.
So if team B holds or is offsides on a succesful kick. A normally elects to take the points and penlaties are declined.
Roughing the kicker, facemask, etc then A can keep points and enforce on kickoff since they are personal fouls.

Fouls During a Try Before a Change of Team Possession
ARTICLE 3. a. Offsetting fouls: If both teams foul during the down and Team B
fouls before the change of possession, the fouls offset and the down is repeated,
even if additional fouls occur after the change of possession. Any repeat of the
down after offsetting fouls must be from the previous spot (A.R. 8-3-3-II).
b. Fouls by Team B on a try:
1. When the try is successful Team A shall have the option of declining
the score and repeating the try after enforcement, or declining the
penalty(ies) and accepting the score. Team A may accept the score with
penalties for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls enforced
on the succeeding kickoff or from the succeeding spot in extra periods
(A.R. 3-2-3-VI; A.R. 8-3-2-II; A.R. 8-3-3-I; and A.R. 10-2-5-IX-XI).

Back