Rotan ISD-Head Football

LReid

11-man fan
Rotan ISD is taking applications for Head Football Coach for the 2020-21 School Year. Teaching field is open at this time with emphasis on Social Studies, English or Math. Job will include Coaching Stipend and Coordinators Stipend(Both are negotiable). For more information or interest contact Supt. Greg Decker at (254) 718-3996 or by email at [email protected]

Emphasis on English & Math, For a football coach at the 1A level, Come on Mr. AD.

This job will once again will be a revolving door.

It's ashame because this job (hd fb) is open every year with ties to baseball.

Maybe one day this job will be SS or PE with ties to track & field.

Coach Roach":o51pmux1 said:
It literally says Social Studies before Math and English. You may want to re-read it...

yes I have read it 27x. Let's look at this job vacancy and put it into perspective

1. Why isn't the AD the head football coach, Usually in 1A he does. He is listed as ASST COACH.
2. Do you know how hard it is to find a MATH teacher who coaches football AT THE 1A LEVEL.
3. Most, all most all, English teachers are OAP and they have NOTHING to do with athletics.
4. Rotan has been a revolving door since they made the transition to 6 man.

5. Ain't no math teacher gonna move to 1A Rotan in April (you will have a better chance of mating with a rabid hyena), now come June and July when coaches get desperate and they need a job, That's when Rotan will get a math football coach OR they will be a school of innovation and place a History certified teacher in the math classroom.

Rotan needs to look at SS/History/PE/Science first ... OVER ENGLISH & MATH .... For a football coach.

I won't go into EOC's and MATH for that football coach.

Coach Roach,
I ask you this, How many 1A football coaches do you know that are
-Math
-English
-PE
-SS

Kramer":14g9brsx said:
Coach Roach":14g9brsx said:
It literally says Social Studies before Math and English. You may want to re-read it...

yes I have read it 27x. Let's look at this job vacancy and put it into perspective

1. Why isn't the AD the head football coach, Usually in 1A he does. He is listed as ASST COACH.
2. Do you know how hard it is to find a MATH teacher who coaches football AT THE 1A LEVEL.
3. Most, all most all, English teachers are OAP and they have NOTHING to do with athletics.
4. Rotan has been a revolving door since they made the transition to 6 man.

5. Ain't no math teacher gonna move to 1A Rotan in April (you will have a better chance of mating with a rabid hyena), now come June and July when coaches get desperate and they need a job, That's when Rotan will get a math football coach OR they will be a school of innovation and place a History certified teacher in the math classroom.

Rotan needs to look at SS/History/PE/Science first ... OVER ENGLISH & MATH .... For a football coach.

I won't go into EOC's and MATH for that football coach.

Coach Roach,
I ask you this, How many 1A football coaches do you know that are
-Math
-English
-PE
-SS

I have 2 of those, could get PE pretty easily, and would love to coach at Rotan. While I'm not applying, there is nothing wrong with listing options. Why are you flipping out?! This post is harmless enough; Besides, there are often jobs posted "wanting only HS Math" to be like an assistant coach. At least your the man in Rotan!

Either way, we should just chill out and let Rotan find their woman, man, any entity identifying as anything else, or their Cosmo Krammer.

Come on TebowTime15,
You off all people should be more respectful of your comment.

Why does Rotan have to find their man? What if a woman is qualified for the position?

Kramer":yusb2q8d said:
Come on TebowTime15,
You off all people should be more respectful of your comment.

Why does Rotan have to find their man? What if a woman is qualified for the position?

What are you talking about?

Perhaps Kramer
is jus pointing out
that teaching such an involved class
like math and eng(if oap is included)
is a full schedule
and if you throw HC in there
then somethings gotta give?

That's fine, in fact I probably agree with you, Dogface. I just think it's silly to get all worked up about the order the administrator listed the subjects in.

Rotan surely knows that the math teacher will probably not be a coach, but there are some coaches that teach science or math. What does it hurt to try?

PS. I would be willing to help anyone reading this who wants to get certified in 8-12 ELA. While it's a hard test, I think more of the difficulty comes from a lack of explanation as to what the state is looking for on the essay rather than actual hard content. Not to brag, but I challenged it and passed it.

If I read the original post correctly Rotan listed Social Studies, English OR Math? Correct? So some of our highly motivated coaches might actually be up for teaching one of those combinations of study. Kramer's statement of the chances of a coach wanting to teach those fields of study is only an accurate indictment of what most school districts get out of coaches in general. Not much. My personal experience at a sixman school many years ago was the head coach would slide into the classroom looking ready to take a nap and did little to dispel that notion for the next hour. Now I know there are exceptions to that example but not many. Getting a coach to effectively teach a class is like asking a racehorse to plow a field. Yes they can do it but don't have the motivation. School districts don't get their money worth in that regard. It's a sad reflection on how important winning in athletics has become and how unimportant educating our children is today. Count those trophies all day long but they will not help our children pay their bills in five, ten, you got it, years.

Mr. Texlonghorn, your comment is insulting to all coaches, especially those who start their work day proving that the first prerequisite for achieving the highest level of coachingdom is to first be a great teacher. It is an essential!
My friend, you do not know what your talking about.

BE I did qualify my statement saying there are motivated and non motivated coaches. So you are saying there aren't unmotivated coaches? I witnessed coaches behavior both in high school and college, and the majority fall into the unmotivated category unless teaching their favorite athletic endeavor. I talk with friends who played football at large schools in Fort Worth and the story was the same. Their coaches had a difficult time getting jacked up to teach anything other than athletics. Telling the class to read the chapter and discuss it later is not much instruction. All are drawing a salary to teach in addition to coach but not delivering much bang for the buck. To compound the issue many coaches eventually migrate up the ladder to principal and possibly superintendent where the continuing saga of ineptitude continues. Once at the top of the ladder they reinforce the standard they ascended with, they overlook the low effort placed on educating their students. Hey, it's the taxpayer's dollar and BE, you are the employee. Hope you are the motivated type. Every school district is different and different school boards evaluate coaches according to their needs. Football is not the end game, Education is.

Texlonghorn75, there are procedural processes in place to try to weed out the type of employee that you describe here. The interview process should catch most of those, but there are always those who get past this. The probationary contract is the next screen used to take care of those. Of course those types will then continue to apply at other schools until they finally get the hint and change vocations. If the prospective employer will only pick up the phone and do their due diligence, the quality employee that BE is describing will be the norm.

This is just my two cents, so take it for what it is worth.

Texlonghorn75 is mostly right. Social studies is so poorly taught, and it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why. I do agree, however, that it is not fair to lump every coach together, as BE said, because some coaches do try to teach their subject. BE is probably an excellent social studies teacher, and I think that everyone should thank him slightly less than military and police officers because it is that important.

Let's take the emotions out of it and talk about big 6A schools. What they do is hire a teacher or two at every grade-level, that teacher tells the coaches what to do, and the coaches execute with varying success. 6A football and sports in general is very competitive, so they will keep an employee if he/she/it is the best X position coach in the State of Texas yet does not know the different between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution.

Looking at from the coaches perspective, they are asked to do two jobs, and trust me coaching is more than a forty hour a week job, while still maintaining time for a personal life. Thus, I really agree with BE that blaming the coach is not the answer.

The question that interests me is not beating up on the coaches, but who decided that all of them, with a few exceptions, should teach social studies and administrators and society in general would give them a pass? I am sure the other subjects are important as well, but, in our current political climate, ignorance about the past is on full display on both sides.

While I agree more with the policies of one side rather than the other, I am going to refrain from being political in this post. In my opinion, laymen Americans needs to know who the United States got its independence from via the American Revolution or why the United States defeated the Soviet Union during the Cold War rather than know that Act 2 Scene 2 of Hamlet is a play within a play, how to balance a chemical equation, or factor an exponent. Although those are important skills, our country is suffering from a crisis in terms of understanding the past.

I am not a big fan of beating up on coaches because they have it rough no matter what subject they teach. Regardless, society, as a whole, needs to demand more social studies knowledge or we face the risk of making major mistakes that have already been tried and failed historically.

I could ramble about this forever because I am really passionate about it. If any coaches ever want help with social studies, I am here for you. It's a hard job, and I think everyone has put a big burden on them.

Back