Robert Lee, the six man San Angelo

jamwash

Six-man fan
I understand that realignments have changed where playoffs are held, and the Richland Springs Balmorhea game was in San Angelo. However, I feel like Robert Lee is the crown jewel in the Concho Valley now for playoffs and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
I don’t know the number of six man playoff games that have been held in San Angelo Stadium or Lake View Stadium since those stadiums open (hoping @Leman Saunders can do some historical research for me, please).
However, I have seen many teams deciding to skip over San Angelo and play in Robert Lee. Heck, there have been playoffs games in Mertzon, Bronte, Eden, and Miles which are all less than an hour from San Angelo. An hour and a half drive gets you to C-City and Garden City which are other towns a lot of six man playoff games.
I remember driving from Angelo State last year to go see the playoffs games and the drives were great and the games were better than driving. And every stadium I went to had good amenities. I do want to know why San Angelo is passed out (from a fans perspective and coaches perspective if any are reading this).

[Side Note: I really miss not being in San Angelo. God willing, I’ll find my way back to that area, hopefully soon. That way I can see more six man games. I added some pictures of playoff games I went to last year]

Attachments

• 2C650D5C-96AA-4F48-B471-EA5C229A43A4.jpeg
    2C650D5C-96AA-4F48-B471-EA5C229A43A4.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1D30C8A7-A17B-4711-BFC0-3723F6EBA930.jpeg
    1D30C8A7-A17B-4711-BFC0-3723F6EBA930.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 32F3C12B-8268-4F78-80B6-82A85D398410.jpeg
    32F3C12B-8268-4F78-80B6-82A85D398410.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 36
  • E7F66FCB-91BE-4F13-90EB-A428C98EA165.jpeg
    E7F66FCB-91BE-4F13-90EB-A428C98EA165.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 0C9C4F5F-B969-4B62-9B4A-08CEE03AC333.jpeg
    0C9C4F5F-B969-4B62-9B4A-08CEE03AC333.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 35
  • 57248AB8-B0EA-424B-A095-38D9322ECAAA.jpeg
    57248AB8-B0EA-424B-A095-38D9322ECAAA.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 37
I understand that realignments have changed where playoffs are held, and the Richland Springs Balmorhea game was in San Angelo. However, I feel like Robert Lee is the crown jewel in the Concho Valley now for playoffs and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.
I don’t know the number of six man playoff games that have been held in San Angelo Stadium or Lake View Stadium since those stadiums open (hoping @Leman Saunders can do some historical research for me, please).
However, I have seen many teams deciding to skip over San Angelo and play in Robert Lee. Heck, there have been playoffs games in Mertzon, Bronte, Eden, and Miles which are all less than an hour from San Angelo. An hour and a half drive gets you to C-City and Garden City which are other towns a lot of six man playoff games.
I remember driving from Angelo State last year to go see the playoffs games and the drives were great and the games were better than driving. And every stadium I went to had good amenities. I do want to know why San Angelo is passed out (from a fans perspective and coaches perspective if any are reading this).

[Side Note: I really miss not being in San Angelo. God willing, I’ll find my way back to that area, hopefully soon. That way I can see more six man games. I added some pictures of playoff games I went to last year]
$$$ Money $$$
Sometimes the host field wants too much money.

Robert Lee is a great place “except”, always in there, not enough seating on visitors side. For the fans, no track around the field so we can be closer to the action is always great. When you get 77 year old eyes, you will understand. Next year they will be 78.

Robert Lee is a great place “except”, always in there, not enough seating on visitors side. For the fans, no track around the field so we can be closer to the action is always great. When you get 77 year old eyes, you will understand. Next year they will be 78.
Yeah the visitor side isn’t big enough but it’s the stands butt up to the street. Tracks around the field, especially with sixman, doesn’t help the sights for spectators

Robert Lee, Hermleigh, Borden County and Garden City have nice facilities

WB was visiting team at both Robert Lee (2 games) and Garden City (1 game) I felt the Robert Lee visiting stand was bigger. I could be wrong on that. Robert Lee visiting stands go from the 10 to the other 10 with 4 or 5 rows. Garden City goes from the 25 to the other 25 with 8-9 rows. So it probably comes out the same. Both schools did a great job hosting this year.

Colorado City was a great place last year. It made sense for WB vs Ira and Sterling vs WB. I heard rumor they are trying to stay away from 6 man games.

I have always thought if WB would upgrade their facilities they could host a lot of Play off game. Being on I-20 would be a central location for different alignments. But the way it is the Visiting stand is really small and locker rooms can’t handle it. Maybe in the future. I like being able to park around the field that helps people that can’t be in the cold or rain.

CCity has new Head Coach. He doesn't know come here from sic em!!
They had some really great six man games in the past, with large crowds over there. Dozens of us from Loraine, Westbrook, Ira, Hermleigh, Highland, Robert Lee, Borden County and Water Valley went to those games.
Borden County, Garden City, Westbrook, Sterling City, and more all played in big games in CCity stadium.
Go figure. The local business suffer from his arrogance.

Easy: Cost, hassle, and it is an 11man field.

Why play there when you can play in Robert Lee, Garden City, Rankin, Blackwell, Hermleigh or Trent? No field modifications needed, not as expensive and you are keeping the dollars in smalls schools/towns and also it is very likely one or both teams have previously played on that field. A lot less hassle is involved all the way around.

I'd rather teams play in a six-man town and on a six-man field that can accommodate.

Robert Lee, Hermleigh, Borden County and Garden City have nice facilities
They all look good and are in prime locations with good highway access (maybe with the exception of Gail but I know sixman fans will gladly go there)
I have always thought if WB would upgrade their facilities they could host a lot of Play off game. Being on I-20 would be a central location for different alignments. But the way it is the Visiting stand is really small and locker rooms can’t handle it. Maybe in the future. I like being able to park around the field that helps people that can’t be in the cold or rain.
If Westbrook were to get a bond to upgrade the stadium/locker room, Westbrook would be the sixman C-City just how Robert Lee is with San Angelo
Colorado City was a great place last year. It made sense for WB vs Ira and Sterling vs WB. I heard rumor they are trying to stay away from 6 man games.
If this is true, I bet Hermleigh, Sterling City and Robert Lee (maybe even Bronte and Blackwell) would gladly take it’s place

CCity has new Head Coach. He doesn't know come here from sic em!!
They had some really great six man games in the past, with large crowds over there. Dozens of us from Loraine, Westbrook, Ira, Hermleigh, Highland, Robert Lee, Borden County and Water Valley went to those games.
Borden County, Garden City, Westbrook, Sterling City, and more all played in big games in CCity stadium.
Go figure. The local business suffer from his arrogance.
Oh I know the Sterling City Westbrook game last year was absolutely great in the stadium. But if a town like Hermleigh Sterling City or Robert Lee could get that business, I as well as the town wouldn’t complain

Easy: Cost, hassle, and it is an 11man field.

Why play there when you can play in Robert Lee, Garden City, Rankin, Blackwell, Hermleigh or Trent? No field modifications needed, not as expensive and you are keeping the dollars in smalls schools/towns and also it is very likely one or both teams have previously played on that field. A lot less hassle is involved all the way around.

I'd rather teams play in a six-man town and on a six-man field that can accommodate.
I agree, play at Sixman stadiums. it’s nice seeing people talking and chanting from the fence line. The question is what can be done to make sure all the playoff games are held at a Sixman stadium (excluding the state championship)?
also prior to the mid 2000s it was a bigger deal to play in a bigger stadium like that...I dont think kids care about that now to be honest...there is less of an aura about those stadiums...except for AT&T of course
Ok this makes sense because I’ve seen videos on YouTube of games in Coleman, Ballinger, Winters, etc.

20 years ago it was a pleasure to get to play on a bigger schools field, because of nice turf and facilities. Now with wind energy and oil, most six man stadiums are as nice as 3A stadiums.
They are which is good. Wonder if some schools that can hold playoff games will keep the grass or move to turf
The exception is parking and seating for playoff games. Some 6 man teams have a larger following than bigger schools.
Especially the ones that ended up with a show made about them (just finished watching it again)

I forgot about Blackwell. They have a great facility as well.

Blum and Benjamin have new facilities. Not sure how they compare. I haven’t seen any playoff games being played there.

Back