River City Believers

coachbronk

Six-man fan
Just saw on TAPPS that Coach Burnett was suspended from coaching from February 2014 to February 2015 for Tampering. Whats the word with this?

djb0412":s41h6bdj said:
What school is that?

River City Believers Academy in Selma is what used to be Believers Academy in San Antonio several years ago. The school and its original church parted ways and the school paired up with River City Christian Fellowship in North Central SA.

A couple years ago, the church purchased what was the old Verizon Ampetheater music venue, just on the other side of the Retama Park horse track and moved the church and school there. They have played football the last several years.

I heard a bit of the story concerning Jody's suspension. Honestly, I think it's something that got exaggerated and a good old firm slap on the hand would have been in order. But it got made into a big deal and the school refused to stand behind its coach ... the only one who had a winning record in about five years of RCBA football ...

Think about this. In your first year of coach, you finish fourth in your district. You lost three district games. One game was to the team that won the state title. Another was to the team that won the previous year's state title -- and lost in the semifinals to the state champion. And the third game was to the team that won the state title two years ago -- and lost in the state championship to the other two teams.

That's not too bad.

NBCA is scheduled to play RCBA this fall. Is there any more information regarding who will be the coach? I had contacted Jody before i saw this. I just need to know who to contact. Also, does RCBA play their games at their school? Or do they use a different field? Any info is appreciated.

Corey Burger
Head Football Coach, NBCA
[email protected]
210-218-6878

Free agent, I don't agree with your rationale. If someone gets suspended for a year, there must be a very good reason. And whatever the reason, the guy's coaching record should not be a factor in the decision. A little bit of wrong is just as equal as a lot of wrong!

Little Doc":2yezalpg said:
Free agent, I don't agree with your rationale. If someone gets suspended for a year, there must be a very good reason. And whatever the reason, the guy's coaching record should not be a factor in the decision. A little bit of wrong is just as equal as a lot of wrong!

Doc, yes, you're right ... a coach's record shouldn't be part of the decision. But those of you who know me, well Believers has never been one of my favorite opponents. In fact, I used to offer any coach who beat Believers when I was AD a steak dinner for a win over Believers, sadly, except for volleyball, I rarely paid off on the bet.

But this was, in my opinion, something that got blown out of proportion. Yes, a pretty stern slap on the wrist was deserved.

But I've seen much worse without even a stern talking-to involved. And some of those people are high up on the TAPPS food chain.

I think some facts need to be shared concerning this issue.

Coach Burnett sent multiple text messages to a CHFBS player informing the player that he (Coach Burnett) could get the player a college scholarship if the player would transfer to River City Believers. Of course this was arguably the best CHFBS player that Coach Burnett contacted. Since all the contact was by text, it was hard for Coach Burnett to refute it when TAPPS held the hearing.

Coach Burnett tried to claim that this was all in fun but when a person reads the text messages it is obvious that he was very serious in his recruiting efforts.

Recruiting another teams players is strictly prohibited. This was not a he said she said case. The text messages were handed over to TAPPS. I do not think there was anything else TAPPS could do but suspend the coach. The coach did not get a raw deal. On multiple occasions and in multiple text messages, Coach Burnett tried to recruit the best player from a rival team to come play for him.

Freeagent, can you tell me where RCBA plays their home games? Do they have a field? I am having a hard time getting in touch with anybody over there

Its over and done with. I'm sure Coach Burnett feels terrible and wishes he could change it, but it is what it is. There is no more need to beat the dead horse.

This is the physical address I was given last year for their field to play them.

River City Believers Academy
16765 Lookout Road
Selma, Texas 78154

"Of course this was arguably the best CHFBS player that Coach Burnett contacted."- Don't have to think too hard to figure out who that is.

Didn't he used to play for Town East??????

pup":3jybwlos said:
"Of course this was arguably the best CHFBS player that Coach Burnett contacted."- Don't have to think too hard to figure out who that is.

I think it would have helped Coach Burnett's claims that this was all a joke if he had contacted one of the other players. But it "just happened" to be the best player at CHFBS. What are the odds.........

Yes, he did play at Town East until they eliminated their football program last year.

6man4me":2wr7hfzy said:
pup":2wr7hfzy said:

I think it would have helped Coach Burnett's claims that this was all a joke if he had contacted one of the other players. But it "just happened" to be the best player at CHFBS. What are the odds.........

Yes, he did play at Town East until they eliminated their football program last year.

The young man in question actually transferred away from Town East at the conclusion of the 2012 football season and actually participated in off-season workouts and I believe spring training at a San Antonio 5A public school; if I remember right, he transferred away from Town East in his freshman year to a different San Antonio public school before returning to Town East in 2012.

Those of us less charitable than I might proffer that here's a kid that would change schools given the opportunity.

I don't believe there was any "mischief" in his transfer to Castle Hills in 2013, as his family attended church there through that time and I have great confidence in the integrity of Coach Criner and his program.

The "joke" thing kind of rings flat to me. It's just as bad if you're going after the benchwarmer than the star. Heck, Texas public HS football coaches have been screaming and wailing about recruiting for years when their third-string JV fullback decides to transfer to a private school (when many of them do the same to each other).

As I said, Coach Burnett deserved some sanction because in my book this is breaking one of those "What in the (blank) were you thinking?" rules, but I still think the penalty given was excessive. And sadly, his school refused to stand behind the coach because they were said to be worried about their reputation before the TAPPS leadership.

But my friend 6man and I are going to agree to disagree on this one.

freeagent":taxx790q said:
6man4me":taxx790q said:
pup":taxx790q said:

The young man in question actually transferred away from Town East at the conclusion of the 2012 football season and actually participated in off-season workouts and I believe spring training at a San Antonio 5A public school; if I remember right, he transferred away from Town East in his freshman year to a different San Antonio public school before returning to Town East in 2012.

Those of us less charitable than I might proffer that here's a kid that would change schools given the opportunity.

I don't believe there was any "mischief" in his transfer to Castle Hills in 2013, as his family attended church there through that time and I have great confidence in the integrity of Coach Criner and his program.

The "joke" thing kind of rings flat to me. It's just as bad if you're going after the benchwarmer than the star. Heck, Texas public HS football coaches have been screaming and wailing about recruiting for years when their third-string JV fullback decides to transfer to a private school (when many of them do the same to each other).

As I said, Coach Burnett deserved some sanction because in my book this is breaking one of those "What in the (blank) were you thinking?" rules, but I still think the penalty given was excessive. And sadly, his school refused to stand behind the coach because they were said to be worried about their reputation before the TAPPS leadership.

But my friend 6man and I are going to agree to disagree on this one.

mtstickgif_e0.gif

Back