Reminiscing on the 2015 Season

First, congratulations to the DI champions Abbott Panther and the DII champion Richland Springs, a champion feline and a canine champion. I think Abbott is the fourth time a district runner-up has won a championship, the others are: Amherst in 1994, Strawn in 2003 and 2008.
The fact that Abbott is the DI champion to me is no shock. It reminds of the last DI East champion in 2011(edited) thanks to BE, Throckmorton who was an underdog despite being undefeated.
I do admit I thought the DI game was the only game that would go 4 quarters of the 2 championship games. I did think Crowell would win in a close game.
I will never look at how teams did against common opponents again!!
Both teams played Calvert and lost but the Crowell loss was close.
Both played Blum and defeated them Crowell by 45-point rule and the Abbot wins against Blum were close game in six man terms.
Another shocker this year was the defeat of Calvert by Jonesboro.
The fact that Jonesboro lost to Richland Springs wasn't a shock but the margin of victory was.
I also thought that Balmorhea would be the West representative in DII and Borden County in DI.

Six-man football will never be predictable for me again.

2001 champ was Whitharral...I think. If not I apologize.

I agree. It was a strange and spectacular year. For me it is best summed up with a non-football expression...It was the year of the Trump.

It was a pretty wild year. I feel like most years you can predict a state champion pretty early. This year, I figured Borden County would win it, Abbott had other plans. Richland Springs dominated in the playoffs, I was leaning towards Calvert or Jonesboro. Seems like dyeing your hair blonde increases your chances of winning state exponentially.

That the year they beat Borden County? I picked BC that year. Didn't it come down to a fourth down where BC blitzed and Throck passed for a TD? Some gutsy calls!

Yes it was Borden County and I still remember the play. Throckmorton had built a big lead and Borden County fought back and had gotten the score to 40-36. Throckmorton had 4 yards to go for a first down and they threw a pass to a wide open receiver for a touchdown for the final score. I believe Borden had a turnover on the kickoff.

Back