Recruiting

RogueEconomist

11-man fan
For those that have never read or play lose with the UIL rules or plain cheat on recruiting here is a link
https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/constitution/general

Read
Subchapter M. ELIGIBILITY
Section 443: CHANGING SCHOOLS FOR ATHLETIC PURPOSES

This is one nasty swamp that needs cleaning up really bad, UIL needs to return integrity to football and make examples of the few outlaws that break the rules. Championships are of little meaning if you cheat to win them.

Growing up I was taught that if you were going to make an accusation Against someone that you had better be able to prove it. In today's Keyboard World not only do you Not Have to Prove It, you can be a coward and hide behind some anonymous made up name while you are trashing someone else.
Technical Progress, ain't it great!

Rogue, everyone knows some cheat, and everyone in the know has heard it all before. The UIL knows, but until these dads who say it has happened to their sons take a stand nothing can be done. And if you are someone who has first-hand knowledge of recruiting but don't want to get involved, you are allowing the situation and you may be part of the problem by enabling it to continue. And you have made the decision for your team to suffer the consequences.
I have spoken to three dads who assure me their kids have been contacted by particular coaches from nearby schools. When I ask them to "show me the money", they find a way to justify not making a move.

But some recruiting is not breaking the rules. Girls from school A going after a boy (or girl) from school B is not against the rules. Players from school A attending a Baptist retreat and trying to persuade a stud from school B to transfer is not breaking the rules to those in authority. Visiting a player in school A's district who attends a school outside the district he lives in is not breaking the rules. Having a parent of school A offer the parent of a stud from another school a job cannot be acted upon by the UIL. It happens frequently. Why do you think a successful girl's basketball team in the panhandle has returned to state championship prominence the last two or three years.
Dad got a good job there and moved his girls. They were the best girls in the panhandle. Nothing you can do about that except wish you had found a way first.

And let us not forget that the best programs often attract the best athletes. In the '70s I wanted to play for the Brownwood Lions and coach Gordon Wood. Lots of players in Central Texas wanted to be a Brownwood Lion football player. I wanted to badly. Then we realized I would have to sit out a year of varsity sports, so we gave up. Not sure when that UIL rule was abolished. I knew several guys from Early and Blanket who did transfer into Brownwood, and eventually started for the Lions.

Tyler flirted with the idea of moving to Brownwood in 2005 and 2006. I had a coach and administrator from there and Lampasas calling every spring and summer offering us positions in their schools. Almost forgot... offered a job with a $10,000 stipend in 2003, and a position at Anahuac in 2004. Was not me they pursued. I was an average coach at that point, more focused on baby production than studying coaching philosophy. :)

Nonetheless, some could accuse that of being a form of recruiting, but not really breaking the rules...or is it. :)

BE":2d1nh989 said:
Rogue, everyone knows some cheat, and everyone in the know has heard it all before. The UIL knows, but until these dads who say it has happened to their sons take a stand nothing can be done. And if you are someone who has first-hand knowledge of recruiting but don't want to get involved, you are allowing the situation and you may be part of the problem by enabling it to continue. And you have made the decision for your team to suffer the consequences.

I have spoken to half a dozen dads who assure me their kid has been contacted by coaches from nearby schools, but when I ask them to "show me the money", they find a way to justify saying nothing to people in authority.

But some recruiting is not breaking the rules. Girls from school A going after a boy (or girl) from school B is not against the rules. Players from school A attending a Baptist retreat and trying to persuade a stud from school B to transfer is not breaking the rules to those in authority. Visiting a player in school A's district who attends a school outside the district he lives in is not breaking the rules. Having a parent of school A offer the parent of a stud from another school cannot be acted upon by the UIL. It happens frequently. Why do you think a successful girl's basketball team in the panhandle has returned to state championship prominence the last two or three years.
Dad got a good job there and moved his girls. They were the best girls in the panhandle. Nothing you can do about that except wish you had found a way first.

And let us not forget that the best programs often attract the best athletes. In the '70s I wanted to play for the Brownwood Lions and coach Gordon Wood. I wanted it bad. Then we realized I would have to sit out a year of varsity sports, so we gave up. Not sure when that UIL rule was abolished. I knew several guys from Early and Blanket who did transfer into Brownwood, and eventually started for the Lions.
Tyler flirted with the idea of moving to Brownwood in 2005 and 2006. I had a coach and administrator from there and Lampasas calling every spring and summer offering us positions in their schools.
Someone could accuse that of being a form of recruiting, but not really breaking the rules...or is it. :)

Oil Field Companies I was told did this better than anyone...offering jobs to dads to get their sons in their preferred town to play football for 4 years...

BE you're are very correct there was a lot of us in the 70's that wanted to play for Coach Wood's but didn't want to lay out for a year. After watching TE play for four years I'm surprised you were not called daily by other teams. A player like TE doesn't come around very often he was fun to watch.

More west BULL##iiiit,,, can't stand a winner.... This sounds just like last season..... both Div 1 and 2..... must be a lot of liberals out west, cry and whine when you lose......

I have discovered it is a law of attraction fact--"the rich get richer and the poor 'get left behind.' "

We were accused of being recruited by Richland Spgs. while living in Follett. My memory fails me sometimes because I don't make an effort to remember negative comments. I think it was a peckerhead from the area near Turkey Valley who accused us of being recruited. You could think that I suppose.
However it is incorrect and a reach in the dark by a bumble-head.
We left Hermleigh to get the kids closer to their mother who was missing them dearly. So with no offers and blind faith we loaded up and moved in with granny until something could be located.
I applied all over the place within driving distance of Bwd. A month zipped by with no success. I applied at every sixman school inside 50 miles except Brookesmith.
I even arranged a meeting with two gentlemen at Zephyr and pulled out a highlight film of my sixth grade boy's football season. They watched the eleven minute film with polite attention. Afterwards, they seemed interested. Never got a call.

The Friday before coaching school I got a call from coach Clawson for a visit that afternoon. After seeing him I was scooted over to the supt. for an hour interview. It felt positive. Got a call that Saturday to meet in Richland the next day for a trip to the 2002 Sixman Coaching school in Lubbock. We were doing the East All-Star football game. I firmly believe I was hired mainly because a driver was needed to transport the RS school bus to Lubbock. Speculation. :)
I was okay with it all.

For a while my pride told me my hiring was due to my coaching philosophy :):):) A month into the 2002 football season I put that foolish thought away. If anything I was hired despite my coaching beliefs and practices. Oh I did mention to Clawson that I thought I had a pretty fair athlete coming up. He usually responded with letting me know I would be allowed to coach my son in football even though I was hired to be the girl's basketball and CC coach. Very comforting. My experience had shown me to expect very little consideration like that in the school business.

In the spring of 2004 Jesstin Fox, Tyler's brother from Austin arrived, followed by Mark Williams from Victoria whose mother had once lived in RS. Both these boys were huge additions to our 8th grade class, making it a loaded group. We now had more athletes than we knew what to do with. Don't believe that.
The locals were Patrick Couch, Richie Daniels and Andrew Fowler who was actually a 7th grader but fit in with the 8th boys like a brother. The foster boys were Shelby Smith and Jesstin Fox. The move-ins were Tyler and Mark Williams. None were recruited. When I first met Shelby I was told he had arrived during his 6th grade year from Austin. I was told he cried for his mother for a solid month, all day long. Just when his foster-parents decided to send him back he said he wanted to stay. He was so small and undeveloped I didn't think he would make a football player. But we found a place for him at deep snapper because no one else wanted the job.
That bunch showed the first signs of greatness when they blew out the competition at the Jr High district track meet in San Saba their 8th grade year. I think we scored 220 odd points. We had a salty bunch of relayers in Tyler, Andrew, Jesstin and Patrick. Shelby won the 800 and mile. Andrew placed high in the sprints. Tyler won second in the 100 and 200, and ran a 43 second 300 Hurdles race, and won the long jump with a 19 foot jump. Jesstin won the 400 by a lot. Patrick placed high in the hurdles. We had three or four other lads score points in running events. We swept three or four field events, too.
I don't think Mark had arrived yet, or maybe he had but was taking his time cutting his braids off so we would allow him to participate. Cant remember. That may have been the next year.

BE":23bvowts said:
I have discovered it is a law of attraction fact--"the rich get richer and the poor 'get left behind.' "

We were accused of being recruited by Richland Spgs. while leaving in Follett. My memory fails me sometimes because I don't make an effort to remember negative comments. I think it was a peckerhead from the area near Turkey Valley who accused us of being recruited. You would think that I suppose.
However it is incorrect and a reach in the dark by a bumble-head.
We left Hermleigh to get the kids closer to their mother who was missing them dearly. So with no offers and blind faith we loaded up and moved in with granny until something could be located.
I applied all over the place within driving distance of Bwd. A month zipped by with no success. I applied at every sixman school inside 50 miles except Brookesmith.
I even arranged a meeting with two gentlemen at Zephyr and pulled out a highlight film of my sixth grade boy's football season. They watched the eleven minute film with polite attention. Afterwards, they seemed interested. Never got a call.

The Friday before coaching school I got a call from coach Clawson for a visit that afternoon. After seeing him I was scooted over to the supt. for an hour interview. It felt positive. Got a call that Saturday to meet in Richland the next day for a trip to the 2002 Sixman Coaching school in Lubbock. We were doing the East All-Star football game. I firmly believe I was hired mainly because a driver was needed to transport the RS school bus to Lubbock. Speculation. :)
I was okay with it all.

For a while my pride told me my hiring was due to my coaching philosophy :):):) A month into the 2002 football season I put that foolish thought away. If anything I was hired despite my coaching beliefs and practices. Oh I did mention to Clawson that I thought I had a pretty fair athlete coming up. He usually responded with letting me know I would be allowed to coach my son in football even though I was hired to be the girl's basketball and CC coach. Very comforting. My experience had shown me to expect very little consideration like that in the school business.

In the spring of 2004 Jesstin Fox, Tyler's brother from Austin arrived, followed by Mark Williams from Victoria whose mother had once lived in RS. Both these boys were huge additions to our 8th grade class, making it a loaded group. We now had more athletes than we knew what to do with. Don't believe that.
The locals were Patrick Couch, Richie Daniels and Andrew Fowler who was actually a 7th grader but fit in with the 8th boys like a brother. And the foster boys were Shelby Smith and Jesstin Fox. The move-ins were Tyler and Mark Williams. None were recruited. That bunch showed the first signs of greatness when they blew out the competition at the Jr High district track meet in San Saba. I think we scored 220 odd points. We had a salty bunch of relayers in Tyler, Andrew, Jesstin and Patrick. Shelby won the 800 and mile. Andrew placed high in the sprints. Tyler won second in the 100 and 200, and ran a 43 second 300 Hurdles race, and won the long jump with a 19 foot jump. Jesstin won the 400 by a lot. Patrick placed high in the hurdles. We had three or four other lads score points in running events. We swept three or four field events, too.
I don't think Mark had arrived yet, or maybe he had but was taking his time cutting his braids off so we would allow him to participate. Cant remember. That may have been the next year.

Back