Recruiting Students for Athletics in High School

Johnny South":262xf94f said:
Sorry Tebow, I was aiming at that other nut.

Well, now that you mentioned it, it really isn't all that great....

bigbadwolf":1kfypibq said:
LBK6manFan":1kfypibq said:
TebowTime15":1kfypibq said:
Maybe the UIL could make all decisions for all of us, instead of parents, then no one will move for athletic reasons!

Just like those 2 senior boys from valley that moved to RS before the season? Guarantee they didnt move from Turkey,TX to RS for academic purposes. And then BOOM! Burkharts back (a week before 2adays) when he knows he has Rigdons boys and his transfers after Rigdon was blackballed from his job. I mean, I guess that's the recipe for success right? This is corruption at its finest. This was planned all along and the coup happened. Oh yeah... not too mention, wasnt Tippie from Mullin? Another transfer.. and TE from Hermleigh? Another transfer. Not sure if Reeves was one of them but JB sure knows how to recruit

Seems to be a lot of talented kids that transfer into RS because their parents land lucrative coaching or teaching positions. Just sayin’.

So the real crazy part of it all is not the hiring of the girls coach with her kids, it’s the suspending of coach Rigdon with pay for the entire football season. Do they have so much money that a man who is under no investigation and has not been wrote up for any rule violations can be sent home with pay while his kids lead the team to a state championship??? That’s the fishy part that nobody has a explanation for!

CoachTJones":3cd4wrvl said:
MA1984":3cd4wrvl said:
CoachTJones":3cd4wrvl said:
So let me clear that up real quick. The only kids on that team whose parents were hired any time recently are Rigdon and Chandler. So who are all these kids that you are talking about? Not Bryant. Not Appleton. Not Shannon. Landon Burkhart has been in RS for all but 1 year of his HS school career. So Im just unsure of what kids you are thinking that they are bringing in. Of course a small district like RS would want to hire teachers or coaches with kids. They need all the kids they can get. Thats how state funding works.

I meant schools in general have probably based hiring on the talent of the kids instead of the quality of the coach/teacher. Richland Springs is just brought up a lot. You might not even be replying to what I said I just wanted to make its clear I’m not singling one particular school out.

MA I do believe i took it out of context. I would say some schools. However, I feel a lot of schools get both and are accused of recruiting. If I have a gold mine of a coach who knows the game and has stud kids I would be stupid not to hire him. Not directed at you, but I can say that when the Rigdons were brought on, it was to help form an amazing coaching staff. We had 4 football coaches on that staff at RS last year and all of us had head coaching experience in 6man. Pretty rare to have a full staff with HC experience.
Where did Coach Rigdon have 6 man head coaching experience? I thought he had been coaching baseball in Florida and at some small college in Georgia or South Carolina? How does he land in Richland Springs? Strange turn of events. I heard the term competitive equity while watching the State championships at Jerry's World earlier this evening and that is what's messed up with RS. Richland Springs has the market cornered on bringing in just enough talent to make them look like world beaters and state champs but they are just beating the system. Granted RS had a solid core of players before the latest influx of coaches kids but it certainly made the difference in RS beating a more deserving team in Calvert. It only takes one or two good players to make an average team exceptional and RS managed to do it again. Congrats on a cheap state championship!

Lol, How many of you coaches would turn down a goood athletic kid that was wanting to move into your school district? Win a Championship or two or 9 and you might get this luxury.
Winning championships in anything is tough , and Americans love a winner! Free Country. Point blank! If your not winning your crying about the Winner. Suck it up buttercup and utilize the purpose of the game ( To help develope a hard working, Disciplined, Husband and Father etc..)

Murdoch":gnwh9roo said:
Oh for Pete's sake! Will somebody bury this poor dead horse before he beats it to pieces?

Takes a big hole to bury a horse. We might need to call in Cowboy to bring in some heavy equipment.

Murdoch":2bx9zsrc said:
Oh for Pete's sake! Will somebody bury this poor dead horse before he beats it to pieces?

Takes a big hole to bury a horse. We might need to call in Cowboy to bring in some heavy equipment.

Deny all you want.....If you really want to know whats been going on at RS then talk to some of the ex coaches and players. They have some truly unbelievable and damning stories to tell.

I liked what the Motley County said," We do things right." You do that and obey UIL rules, you have nothing to worry about and cut out the speculation from others. When you smell a skunk, there's usually a skunk nearby.

Little Doc":2bysep6g said:
I liked what the Motley County said," We do things right." You do that and obey UIL rules, you have nothing to worry about and cut out the speculation from others. When you smell a skunk, there's usually a skunk nearby.

And by implication, he pointed out how wrong RS is. Not illegal. Evidently not in violation of any rules, but just not how things should be done.

GridironJoe":q1tokzwt said:
Deny all you want.....If you really want to know whats been going on at RS then talk to some of the ex coaches and players. They have some truly unbelievable and damning stories to tell.

Yup. Most likely talking to some similar folks as you. Cant wait for it to unfold. Proud of Coach Bigham for speaking his mind with pure class.

LBJ6manfan, we were not recruited .

I moved to Brownwood without a job, lived with mother for two weeks while I searched the local area for an opening. On a Sunday morning she noticed an add in the Bwd Bulletin for a coaching job in RS. Checked it out and knowing Coach Clawson helped. I had been in contact with him for two years and had visited his off-season and football season workouts three or four times . I was trying to formulate a final decision on the style of offense I was going to use for Tyler. I had visited Trent and Panther Creek as well.
We found an old coon-infested farm house so we signed. That was 2002.
During the interview process I never mentioned how good Tyler was. Not once. All we talked about was how good everyone else was--(Hicks brothers, Clawson's son, etc.).
I knew down deep they would be impressed by Tyler (a 7th grader) if they payed attention.

Clawson told me after the first junior high game that Tyler could start on the varsity. I said, "ya think? Ah naw.".

Side note: I visited two other schools during that two week shopping period trying to talk them into offering me a job. I showed two coaches at one school a 10 minute video of Tyler as a sixth grader. They didn't seem too interested. I told both that they were looking at a future multi-state champion type of player. They just grinned like they had heard that before.
I wont name them.
In fact we tryed to get a job at one of the schools three times while Tyler was in junior high and high school. Tryed again in 2015.

BE":2u3pvu9c said:

I moved to Brownwood without a job, lived with mother for two weeks while I searched the local area for an opening. On a Sunday morning she noticed an add in the Bwd Bulletin for a coaching job in RS. Checked it out and knowing Coach Clawson helped. I had been in contact with him for two years and had visited his off-season and football season workouts three or four times . I was trying to formulate a final decision on the style of offense I was going to use for Tyler. I had visited Trent and Panther Creek as well.
During the interview process I never mentioned how good Tyler was. Not once. All we talked about was how good everyone else was--(Hicks brothers, Clawson's son, etc.).
I knew down deep they would be impressed by Tyler (a 7th grader) if they payed attention.

Clawson told me after the first junior high game that Tyler could start on the varsity. I said, "ya think? Ah naw.".

Side note: I visited two other schools during that two week shopping period trying to talk them into offering me a job. I showed two coaches at one school a 10 minute video of Tyler as a sixth grader. They didn't seem too interested. I told both that they were looking at a future multi-state champion type of player. They just grinned like they had heard that before.
I wont name them.
In fact we tryed to get a job at one of the schools three times while Tyler was in junior high and high school. Tryed again in 2015.

That's a good story, and I believe you. I think the problem is people, jealous of RS's success, make you defend yourself. What happened to the presumption of innocence? You had to eat, TE had to go to school, and the rest is history.

BE":1q2hwkqj said:

I wont name them.

I wonder what school turned down that opportunity especially when he was in high school.

tx6man4life":3k5h667l said:
bigbadwolf":3k5h667l said:
LBK6manFan":3k5h667l said:
TebowTime15":3k5h667l said:
Maybe the UIL could make all decisions for all of us, instead of parents, then no one will move for athletic reasons!

Just like those 2 senior boys from valley that moved to RS before the season? Guarantee they didnt move from Turkey,TX to RS for academic purposes. And then BOOM! Burkharts back (a week before 2adays) when he knows he has Rigdons boys and his transfers after Rigdon was blackballed from his job. I mean, I guess that's the recipe for success right? This is corruption at its finest. This was planned all along and the coup happened. Oh yeah... not too mention, wasnt Tippie from Mullin? Another transfer.. and TE from Hermleigh? Another transfer. Not sure if Reeves was one of them but JB sure knows how to recruit

Seems to be a lot of talented kids that transfer into RS because their parents land lucrative coaching or teaching positions. Just sayin’.

So the real crazy part of it all is not the hiring of the girls coach with her kids, it’s the suspending of coach Rigdon with pay for the entire football season. Do they have so much money that a man who is under no investigation and has not been wrote up for any rule violations can be sent home with pay while his kids lead the team to a state championship??? That’s the fishy part that nobody has a explanation for!
* Agreed, the fishy part to me is why didnt Burkhart take on the assistant job/role with Rigdon staying as the HFB? That would have made more sense but it's as clear as day. JB left because RS was depleted, didnt have the success at Stanton like he had hoped. Abandoned that team, just like RS. Went to Rankin, abandoned them until a week before the season started when he knew he had the Valley kids, Rigdons, his boy, and some others (depth). That school literally stole a mans job from him for no apparent reason, and are still paying him. Does the UIL audit 6man schools? Or can they?

BE":31xg901e said:

I wont name them.

* I have nothing but respect for you Coach and I enjoyed watching your son have the success he has had. I don't and didnt know the situation other than yall came from hermleigh. I watched TEs JH games on YouTube when he was a 6th grader and he could still throw the ball accurate and around 40-50 yards (as a 6th grader). Nothing against TE but did he not repeat 8th grade and not participate in anything athletically until he was a freshman, so he wouldnt lose eligibility? If that is true then he wouldve technically been a sophomore when RS won their 1st. I heard that back when I was a senior in high school so that may be he said/ she said. Regardless, you have given me advice, offered to give me tapes to study, offensive looks/strategies, always been very kind, and introduced me to the book "The Art of War". Thank you again sir.

Hiring teachers and coaches who have kids is not a RS phenomenon. It has been going on by schools from every classification for decades. And if they aren't doing it they will be defeated by those who are. Its not breaking UIL rules to hire staff who have talented kids. Its free-enterprise capitalism at its finest.
However, it is a recent practice in six-man . Who wants to move from Brownwood to hick-town ,USA!?
Well, today all the amenities offered in larger communities can be reached anywhere. So why not find a school with a successful sports culture.

Do you really want to return to the days when any move under any circumstance meant your kids had to play JV ball for a year before gaining eligibility? That happened to my family when we left East Texas for Fort Worth and my sister and I had to sit on the JV teams our entire sophomore and junior seasons, respectively. It sucked.
We appealed the rule all the way to Austin. Even hired an attorney. My dad was courted and payed handsomely to take a superintendent's job at a failing school in the metroplex that had just come through an embezzlement scandal and had lost two or three hundred thousand dollars. It was in serious financial trouble. No recruiting whatsoever. I wasn't that quality of a player in football to be recruited.
I was fast and strong, but had had little success in high school football. The year we left the Piney woods my old school started winning and finished that year 12-1-1, getting beat by the eventual state champion 11-13, or something close to that. Now in round-ball we were tough. My freshmen and sophomore years we went 28-3 and 23-8.
Point is I was not recruited. My dad was a fixer who moved around repairing troubled school districts. He had a direct connection with several people at TEA who called him every year or two seeking his services in troubled schools no one wanted to go to.
Do not entertain that kind of policy.

Actually,
Has anyone considered
the possibility
that Jerry is anointed?
True faith is supernatural
and there have been countless
men of faith
that were completely misunderstood.
Seems I recall several who were killed.
Jus sayin

BE":1aim59cb said:
Hiring teachers and coaches who have kids is not a RS phenomenon. It has been going on by schools from every classification for decades. And if they aren't doing it they will be defeated by those who are. Its not breaking UIL rules to hire staff who have talented kids. Its free-enterprise capitalism at its finest.
However, it is a recent practice in six-man . Who wants to move from Brownwood to hick-town ,USA!?
Well, today all the amenities offered in larger communities can be reached anywhere. So why not find a school with a successful sports culture.

Do you really want to return to the days when any move under any circumstance meant your kids had to play JV ball for a year before gaining eligibility? That happened to my family when we left East Texas for Fort Worth and my sister and I had to sit on the JV teams our entire sophomore and junior seasons, respectively. It sucked.
We appealed the rule all the way to Austin. Even hired an attorney. My dad was courted and payed handsomely to take a superintendent's job at a failing school in the metroplex that had just come through an embezzlement scandal and had lost two or three hundred thousand dollars. It was in serious financial trouble. No recruiting whatsoever. I wasn't that quality of a player in football to be recruited.
I was fast and strong, but had had little success in high school football. The year we left the Piney woods my old school started winning and finished that year 12-1-1, getting beat by the eventual state champion 11-13, or something close to that. Now in round-ball we were tough. My freshmen and sophomore years we went 28-3 and 23-8.
Point is I was not recruited. My dad was a fixer who moved around repairing troubled school districts. He had a direct connection with several people at TEA who called him every year or two seeking his services in troubled schools no one wanted to go to.
Do not entertain that kind of policy.

Thank you for your response and like I said before, i have nothing but respect for you. I think (personally) you are a great offensive/defensive mind. I guess you can say your resume says it all. My point is i saw RS win their 1st and witnessed JB being an actual coach, actual joy. Greed and winning got into his head imo. When it didnt go his way he left, twice.. I think JB is a good coach, but an amazing recruiter. The 6man world is small so it doesnt surprise me about networking and finding a teacher with the "good kids" who can play. Social media has just made it easier to recruit.
* What's gonna happen when JB loses the Rigdons and the Valley boys next year?

Back