Rawlings Helmets

CT6MFL

11-man fan
For those of you that didn't know, Rawlings NRG (Quatum and Momentum) Football Helmets are hitting the stores. Looks to be 179.00 for the Helmet and 30.00 for the face mask. One of our League players bought the promotional from B &B in waco earlier this year and it turns out the helmet is pretty rock solid. Might be worth taking a look at.

Probably will not matter, but old folks like me would have to be sold on that particular brand as they were pretty worthless back in the day. I am sure they have improved and the good thing there are not many old farts like me around. Thank goodness. Ha

Your right HPD, I just know they hit the shelf. The guy in our league has waited 6 months for their release to get a colored face mask. The Promotionals only came with grey.

They maybe a good alternative for smaller budgets though.

I never hit anybody hard enough to split one, but saw some split. First coaching job, supe was telling me about how hard the kids hit and how many concussions. Looked at helmets, yes, Rawlings , were about 10 years old, foam rubber harder than a rock. Ha

Did get bell rung, almost on a regular basis, but was with Riddell. With leather and rope head band. Man, the headaches and busted noses.

At least guess I have an excuse.

Maybe that is what my problem is? split 3 Rawlings helmets as a fr. and soph. Got my bell rung quite often even after they got me a helmet from Baylor. Think it was a riddell with the suspension web. But most of time was too fuzzy to tell.

I think this is an interesting conversation. Me and my boys are headed to an event Aug 6th to meet with the Rawlings folks. They're gonna be showing us their equipment, how they test it, what's new, have a mini football camp, etc.

Anything y'all like me to find out from them?

Lori

wildwood wrote:
> Maybe that is what my problem is? split 3 Rawlings helmets as a fr. and
> soph. Got my bell rung quite often even after they got me a helmet from
> Baylor. Think it was a riddell with the suspension web. But most of time
> was too fuzzy to tell.

Yup, dem ol' leather helmets didn't last long, right, old-timer?

My son and i were in wal-mart and found the helmet used by wildwood and HPD back in the day. (and i mean waaaaaayyyyyyy back in the day...)

Attachments

• IMG-20110709-00062[1].webp
    IMG-20110709-00062[1].webp
    110 KB · Views: 1,637
Not many concussions because people did not use their head. Head injuries, at least the increase, can be traced to facemasks. That is true, look it up. Year most Texans died from head injuries, 1967. Riddell introduced a pad to protect neck, turned into fulcrum and broke a bunch of necks. Some of us old folks still remember some things. Ha Not anything anyone would want to know, but we remember them.

Very very very true, original head protection was developed to protect lacerations to the head and to keep the scalp from being pulled off. I guess back in those days there was nothing like ball carrier down by his hair 

I ran into an interesting article in the Pampa Daily News on 10/7/1962:

TMA Warns Of
'Helmet Blocking

AUSTIN ( D UPI ) The Texas
Medical Association today warned
that "head or helmet blocking'
in football could result in serious
injuries and recommended it be
discontinued in junior and senior
high schools.

The association said it had completed
an "intensive investigation'