RANKIN BEATS IRA

donhardin

11-man fan
As seen through my eyes

One Two Three.....

There was lots of action from the start of the game to the final buzzer in the Regional Championship between the winning Rankin Red Devils and the tough Ira Bulldogs. In my humble opinion three defensive stops by the Red Devil defense was the difference.
The first two offensive possessions by Ira saw them move the ball but resulted in no points and Rankin as a result led the previously undefeated Ira Bulldogs 14-0 with 1:05 left in the 1st Quarter. Ira would be chasing that lead all night long.

The record setting Lance Morris finished this game with 261 yards on 33 carries and 3 touchdowns. Lance also finished his high school career this game. I have his career rushing record at 11866 yards on 828 carries with 179 touchdowns. Congratulations to Mr. Lance Morris who is the All-Time leading rusher in the state of Texas.

It was a rare game that Ira went down in defeat. Just as rare is the fact that Lance Morris was not the best in show. Mr. Dalton Michum of Rankin carried the ball 31 times for 322 yards and 6 touchdowns. As I have often reminded those outside of the Six-Man world that Lance Morris also plays defense, so does Dalton Michum.

Coach Shannon Williams of Rankin knew he would need to design a defensive game plan that would slow down the talented Morris of Ira. The Red Devils for this game moved Michum from cornerback to middle linebacker to combat the Ira tight formation end sweeps. The early 14-0 lead and defensive play of Rankin got Ira into the spread offensively which is not particularly the strength of Ira. Once in the spread, heavy pressure on Morris resulted in three sacks for a minus 24 yards. That may not sound like it was that big a deal but in my mind it was huge.

The 14-0 lead in the first quarter indeed proved to be more than Ira would be able to handle but Ira showed plenty of fight before the half would end. lance Morris scored the 1st of his three touchdowns with :53 seconds left in the quarter on a 46 yard run. Jared Cotton was successful with the PAT and Ira had cut the lead 14-8. Less than a minute into the 2nd quarter, Dalton Michum got his second touchdown of the night on a 4 yard run. The PAT failed and Rankin was on top by 20-8. Each team put up 24 points in the second quarter with Rankin getting 4 points on the 42 yard FG by 6 foot 3 inch 290 pound senior Caleb Wrinkle as time expired in the half. The score at half time was 38-32 and Rankin was riding the momentum train knowing they would get the ball starting the second half.

Rankin started out offensively in the second half with Dalton Michum throwing a pass that Logan Morris of Ira intercepted. This was a great opportunity for Ira to tie or possibly take the lead for the first time in game. Rankin's D came up huge for the third of 3 stops that I believe won the game. Aaron Castillo on 4th down sacked Lance Morris. Six plays later, Dalton Michum scored his 4th of six touchdowns and Rankin lead 46-32 with 4:04 in the 3rd.

With one minute and thirty-eight seconds left in the 3rd quarter, Lance Morris threw a touchdown pass to Tanner Shifflett. The PAT failed bringing the score to Rankin 46 Ira 38. There was still way more than enough time on the clock for the explosive Ira Bulldogs to come back and win the game. A mere 20 seconds later, Dalton Michum would tear the hearts out of Ira with a 58 yard run with 1:18 left in the 3rd. Though the PAT failed, the damage was done. Rankin lead 52-38. One full quarter and some change left but Ira was empty. Rankin added one more touchdown on a one yard run. The PAT again failed your final score was 58-38. CONGRATULATIONS Rankin Red Devils. They advance to play the defending state champions, Throckmorton Greyhounds Saturday December 1st at 6:00 PM in Snyder.

Don Hardin
Abilene

I have been pulling for IRA for a long time. I had them ranked #1 in the state in my own rankings for most of the year. I did so because I thought they were the number one team.

Rankin played very well on both sides of the ball against Ira and there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that the better team indeed won this contest.

I may have made it sound like from my original post that the defense won the game. THEY WERE HUGE. However it must be stated that the offense for Rankin was nigh on unstoppable at times.

Don Hardin
Abilene

The one and only thing Throck has to do is contain Rankin #2's running game (not passing game, he had 2 passes last night for 2 interceptions I believe) and Throck will end the game early. Ira had no answer for Rankin's #2 period. I don't think Rankin's defense will stack up to a great passing attack like Throck should show. I will be there to see all the action at that great new Tiger Stadium on Saturday.

Ryry, all anyone has had to do this year was stop rankins running game. Much easier said than done. I too was at the game. Question for me is why throw it if the other team can't stop the run. I think #2 was 0-1 with the int. the other pass was to the end zone and Ira was called for pass interference. I think the int was the only turnover from either team.

As for Throck that's a different story. Rankin will have to play extremely well to win.

Your right and the better team and staff won the contest last night, no bones about it. My hats off to Rankin against Throck, I sure hope it's a good game but we will see. Ira and Rankin have a great rivalry the last few years, and Ira is up 3 or 4 to one. Rankin was due a win LOL. Good luck to them boys and staff Saturday in Snyder. That stadium is awesome BTW but 11 man, hopefully they will have the markings set good.

Addendum - no team has been able to stop Ira's running game as well until they met Rankin last night and they did a pretty good job of containment. We will see if Throck finds the same way of containment as did BC against Rankin. Good Luck to all teams. In the playoffs in the West it's anyone's game on that given night.

weebles_wobble":248lso1m said:
The BC game was less about BC stopping Rankin but Rankins complete inability to stop BC. Should be a fun one on Saturday.
Which is the base of my first post commenting on Rankin's defense. Yes should be a fun one.

I haven't seen Rankin this year but I saw more than I wanted to of T-Rock last night. Rankin will have to play well to beat them. Good luck to both teams.

Last night I saw a great Red Devil team that looked to be at their peak of the season; as well as there running back. I believe #2 is one if not the best running backs I've seen this year, I have yet to see t rock play but I hear they are the beast in the bracket, rankin did a great job with their spread last night when Ira shifted to it later in the game, so don't rule out Rankin's pass D just yet. It should be one hell of a game, and I think whoever wins this will win it all in December

Well said Mr. Hardin and hope to see you at the game on Saturday in Snyder.

Rankin did run a good defense against Ira's spread offense, but after listening to the Throckmorton game on the radio Saturday, sounds like their pass offense is on a whole different level than anyone else in the state. It'll be a challenge for Rankin to stop that pass attack, but I think if they can get a few early stops like they did against Ira....let that Rankin rush attack pound on the Throckmorton defense and they'll have a good shot. Easier said than done. Should be a heck of a game in Snyder and best of luck to both teams.

I have edited and re-edited post in this thread. Have lots of respect for Rankin but I am a Bulldog fan and pulled for Ira for years. Also a big fan of the Meadow Broncos through the years. I have ticked off plenty of folks in my time with my postings on this board and my blogs at S.E.E. Six-Man News, Lone Star Football Network, and Sixman Magazine. To those I truly regret it that I offended you. My main goal over the last ten years has been to promote the sport I love known as Texas Six-Man High School Football. Never purposely tried to attack coaches, players, or fans.

To all I have ever been in contact with through this great sport I wish you nothing but the best.

God Bless Texas and Six-Man Football.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Great article.

Many thanks to you Don Hardin for helping me and keeping track of Lance Morris' stats and pushing for him to be recognized by the mainstream more!

Oneday
You have been and will be a HERO for ALL the work, hard work and research , you have done for the sport we all love.

THANK YOU!!!

Don Hardin
Abilene

oneday":2vdsee7j said:
Great article.

Many thanks to you Don Hardin for helping me and keeping track of Lance Morris' stats and pushing for him to be recognized by the mainstream more!

ITS TO BAD there are alot of great kids playing ball that will never get the recognition they deserve the UIL should be ashamed.... hope power lifting stays with their own program

as far as schools playing in differant levels ie football in the 2A and all other sports 1A i think not you are in all or nothing

Back