Quarterfinals

david9h

11-man fan
On to the Quarterfinals

Everyone won who was supposed to win with only one slight surprise by the outcome.

Wichita Falls WCS vs. Granbury NCTA - Still think Granbury is the team to beat from the north. They should win this one but I would not be surprised by an upset. WCS handled RCC about the way I thought they would and if they are at full strength, which they need to be, they will give Granbury a game. Prediction - Granbury by 14

Longview Trinity vs. Wichita Falls Notre Dame - Despite some sloppiness to start the game and the game being tied 14-14 early in the 2nd quarter, Trinity finally woke up and dispatched Spring Branch Living Rock the way they were supposed to 66-14. Trinity cannot make mistakes or get off to a slow start against Notre Dame or it will be over quickly. Although Notre Dame may be the favorite on paper, I think Trinity puts it all together and sneaks out a win. Trinity by 1.

Seguin Lifegate vs. Bellville Faith - I'd love to hear a rundown of what happened with Sequin and Athens Christian. Since we played them I have contended that Athens Christian is a scrappy bunch and should not be taken lightly. But, I thought Sequin would have put it on them more than 44-25? What happened? If it was a case of Athens playing well and giving Seguin a game, then the south might not be as strong as I thought. If there was an injury(s) or Sequin got way ahead and started playing some of their back-ups, okay. Curious what the deal was? Oh by the way, Sequin 45's Bellville!

San Marcos Hill Country vs. Fredericksburg Heritage - Can't see why this game will be that much different than the last time they played. That being said, Freddy is battle tested and well coached so they could surprise. I don't see them winning, though. I'll go with San Marcos winning by 35 and the game going four quarters.

Thoughts?

I was surprised by the Seguin score as well. More likely than not, Seguin got off to a sloppy start and Athens came ready to play. I'll be making predictions on certain games for this week as well

shortround":24t7mz29 said:
I was surprised by the Seguin score as well. More likely than not, Seguin got off to a sloppy start and Athens came ready to play. I'll be making predictions on certain games for this week as well

Game was close first qtr -- 8 -6 Lifegate; Falcons jumped out to a 31-6 lead midway in the third. There was a light rain most of the game and for some reason, Lifegate plays a sloppy game in the rain (although they didn't have any turnovers due to weather).

It was an ugly win, but the good thing about an ugly win is that it is a win.

Well, I missed one with RCC. I really thought they would play WCS tougher.

Granbury over WCS by 24
Trinity over ND by 6, still need to figure out how to get to this game. I'm sure the wife won't mind postponing our trip to New Mexico for a couple of days. Game of the week.
Seguin over Bellville by 35
SMHC over Freddy by 28

Seems like we are all predicting the same except for Trinity/ND. I've seen both teams and would not be surprised at all by Trinity winning this contest. Trinity will come out with a good game plan, coached up, and ready to play.

Good luck and prayers for safety to all.

SMHC by 25. I'm a Shipman fan so they will put up a fight. I was wrong last time but I will give it a shot. Too much physicality for them Freddy boys.

Seguin over Bellville 30. Rabon knows how to win in the postseason. He doesn't care how much they win by. Don't let it fool you. Bellville was to make a name so they will try to get after Seguin but just too much experience.

Trinity loses to ND by 4. Trinity has two studs but ND stud is the best athlete in the STATE. He is number on my list. Trinity could pull out that WIN.

WCS responded. You knew he would have them ready after a tough loss. Granbury a plus 16. But that coaching staff will be ready best believe.

In a way, I'm surprised by the Freddy - San Marcos game and in a way I'm not. I'm a fan of great coaching and Freddy has obviously got it. Freddy must have had a great game plan and played their rears off. San Marcos moves on but I don't think they're the dominant force they seemed like a couple weeks ago. Congrats to San Marcos and looking forward to a great game against Sequin next week.

Not at all surprised by Sequin 45'ing Bellville. Predicted it and it went as I expected. I think Sequin will be coming into the semi's with renewed confidence and determination. This rematch and semi-final game will be something to see!

And then there are my Longview Trinity Titans. First, let me congratulate a good Wichita Falls Notre Dame team. They played hard, were well coached and won the game on the field. #1 Whitten is as fast as you will see and I was probably more impressed with how hard he runs and how tough he was to bring down. He was no bigger than a womp rat and it consistently took 2-3 defenders to bring him down. And when he had 2-3 guys on him, he still moved the pile forward. As far as best athlete in the state, I'm going to go with #11 for Trinity (but I'm sort of partial to him). I was equally if not more impressed with #23 Salazar. He ran hard, hit the holes fast and all of his extra points were no doubters. Think extra points aren't important in 6 man? Trinity scored 4 td's and Notre Dame scored 4 td's (and a safety). The difference, Notre Dame made all their extra points. The game was 34-14 to start the 4th and I was really proud of how Trinity fought back. They played hard the whole game. Got inside the ND 10 twice and came away with no points. Although Whitten had a lot of yards, Trinity kept him from busting the big run (other than one 40+ yard td) and largely contained him, making him earn everything he got (which he did). As I went down on the field after the game, every Trinity player had tears in their eyes. It meant a lot to them and they poured their heart and soul into this game and their entire season. Congratulations to Notre Dame and good luck next week. But most of all, I could not be prouder of my Titans!

We'll see how the Granbury-WCS game goes this afternoon and I'll be making semi predictions next week.

Granbury NCTA 64
Wichita Christian 19
Mid 3rd Qtr.
Per Maxpreps
Too much #22 and too many turnovers for the Stars. Only 2 penalties in the game, both by NCTA.

I was also at the ND-Trinity game and congratulations to both teams on a great performance.

I thought Trinity did a good job of forcing ND to beat them with someone other than Whitten. And Salazar really stepped up to answer that call. Still, Whitten was all over the place and really wore the defense down. He picked up a couple of big first downs on third and forevers. I haven't seen the Granbury runningback yet, so I can't speak to best player in the State. But in a matchup between #11 for Trinity and Whitten, Whitten was the best player on the field that night no doubt, in my eyes.

Also as predicted, Granbury proved to be too much for the Stars. WC has some talent for sure, but I think their fans were too quick to build them up into real contenders this year. Still about a year away I think if they have all their guys coming back.

Granbury 45'd ND earlier this year, but if the ND coaching staff can put together a game plan to at least slow down that bruiser, maybe they can pull off an upset. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see Granbury take the whole thing in December.

Don't know which game everyone else was watching, but from where I was standing Whitten was the difference on the field as usual.

The kid racked up almost 200 yards and 3 TDs, and was a slip away on a rain-slicked field at the 1-yard line from getting his 4th of the night. He also had a huge interception in the end zone that killed Trinity's comeback attempt.

Not to take anything away from Trinity. They were a decent team and played a good game. Did a good job of trying to contain Whitten's explosiveness. But I really think the game wasn't as close as the score. The Knights controlled the tempo of the game from the opening kickoff. AND they had a kickoff recovery and fumble recovery taken away from them by refs who overturned their first decisions each time. Both of those probably would have put the game away a lot sooner.

ND is the real deal and have been counted out by most people this entire season. And like each time this season they stepped up and proved their doubters wrong. Can't wait to see this matchup in Bridgeport. Granbury is a tough out, but I like ND's chances of keeping this magical run going on a little more.

Oh boy do I love when ND talks big- so it's Happy Hill vs WFND, and SMHC vs Seguin on the other side. This is the first time in a while that on both sides of the brackets the teams are made up from their respective districts.

So to both ND fans, what do you think ND will do to get over the Granbury hump? What will change so that you can stop NCTAs running back?
Also, I have a feeling that ND4 is a player.. Maybe whitten himself..?

I expected the boards to be more lively this weekend, what gives?

Back