QB fumble

bubbasr49

New member
Team A QB fumbles on the snap exchange, picks up ball and starts to run outside the pocket. QB then trys to throw the ball and it is deflected out of his hand and is then is tackled by Team B. Ref calls late hit on QB, is this the correct call?

My understanding, please correct me if wrong;

If QB fumbles the ball is he still protected?
If the ball is deflected from the QB's hand is he still protected?
 
The QB protection rules are absurd in football generally but are totally unnecessary in 6 man. There is no "pocket" and most of the passing is done on the run.

In high school, I was on defense rushing the passer during a sixman game. The QB threw the ball, so I stopped and ran towards the receiver who caught the ball. This QB, who did not like me, tried to hit me. I turned around, laid him, and put him on the ground. THE REF THEN CALLED A PENALTY ON ME FOR ROUGHING THE PASSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a joke penalty that is an 11-man holdover.
 

51eleven

Well-known member
bubbasr49":2fls9kp2 said:
Team A QB fumbles on the snap exchange, picks up ball and starts to run outside the pocket. QB then trys to throw the ball and it is deflected out of his hand and is then is tackled by Team B. Ref calls late hit on QB, is this the correct call?

My understanding, please correct me if wrong;

If QB fumbles the ball is he still protected?
If the ball is deflected from the QB's hand is he still protected?

Only if the hit comes after the ref blows the whistle. The rest doesn't matter. Not a ref.
 
Almost all of the information given is irrelevant to roughing the passer. Being outside of the tackle box, whether the snap was muffed or whether the pass was tipped all have no bearing on whether there is a foul for roughing the passer. All that matters is the contact itself. If the hit is late or meets any of the other criteria, it’s a foul.

Being outside the tackle box or the ball being tipped only affect roughing the *kicker*, not the passer.

And just to be clear, “the pocket” is not a thing by rule. The tackle box is 5 yards laterally on either side of the ball no matter what formation you’re in, 6-man or 11-man.
 

pistol

New member
TebowTime15":zo187i2u said:
The QB protection rules are absurd in football generally but are totally unnecessary in 6 man. There is no "pocket" and most of the passing is done on the run.

In high school, I was on defense rushing the passer during a sixman game. The QB threw the ball, so I stopped and ran towards the receiver who caught the ball. This QB, who did not like me, tried to hit me. I turned around, laid him, and put him on the ground.THE REF THEN CALLED A PENALTY ON ME FOR ROUGHING THE PASSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a joke penalty that is an 11-man holdover.

I dont see how this is relevant.. there could be kids reading this.. keep these comments PG please
 

Johnny South

Active member
pistol":1z1oausk said:
TebowTime15":1z1oausk said:
The QB protection rules are absurd in football generally but are totally unnecessary in 6 man. There is no "pocket" and most of the passing is done on the run.

In high school, I was on defense rushing the passer during a sixman game. The QB threw the ball, so I stopped and ran towards the receiver who caught the ball. This QB, who did not like me, tried to hit me. I turned around, laid him, and put him on the ground.THE REF THEN CALLED A PENALTY ON ME FOR ROUGHING THE PASSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a joke penalty that is an 11-man holdover.

I dont see how this is relevant.. there could be kids reading this.. keep these comments PG please

Where is FSCA? He is never around when we really need him to call everyone a sick something-or-other! Lol!
 
pistol":3ofl7xl5 said:
TebowTime15":3ofl7xl5 said:
The QB protection rules are absurd in football generally but are totally unnecessary in 6 man. There is no "pocket" and most of the passing is done on the run.

In high school, I was on defense rushing the passer during a sixman game. The QB threw the ball, so I stopped and ran towards the receiver who caught the ball. This QB, who did not like me, tried to hit me. I turned around, laid him, and put him on the ground.THE REF THEN CALLED A PENALTY ON ME FOR ROUGHING THE PASSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a joke penalty that is an 11-man holdover.

I dont see how this is relevant.. there could be kids reading this.. keep these comments PG please

What are you talking about?
 

Jones26

Member
Legacy Zebra":1zw4zk2t said:
Almost all of the information given is irrelevant to roughing the passer. Being outside of the tackle box, whether the snap was muffed or whether the pass was tipped all have no bearing on whether there is a foul for roughing the passer. All that matters is the contact itself. If the hit is late or meets any of the other criteria, it’s a foul.

Being outside the tackle box or the ball being tipped only affect roughing the *kicker*, not the passer.

And just to be clear, “the pocket” is not a thing by rule. The tackle box is 5 yards laterally on either side of the ball no matter what formation you’re in, 6-man or 11-man.

Good to know! Saves me from making an idiot of myself at some point.
 
Top