Private school best of all time

Dbsmithegg83

11-man fan
I'm stealing this idea from the public school forum. They asked who were the best 6 man football players of all time. Well who are the best private school 6 man football players of all time or best private school players of the last 10 years.

Here is my list of players.

Colby Boozer Dallas Covenant
Colt Laird Katy
Bradley Ruiz Harvest Christian
David Kleban Emery
Samai Massaquoi Abilene Christian
Eli Achilles Bracken

I only mention ones i've seen personally.

Eli Achilles
Shad Cole-S'ville Faith
D'Ante Johnson- Castle Hills
Tyler Mcdaniel- Victory Life
Freeman- Longview Trinity
And WFND had a spreadback that was legit, but his name escapes me.

I'll play. I'm taking a bit of a different slant. Seeing as we can go back to "07, there are a bunch of greats you young ones don't know. I'm also slanted towards the smaller schools, so DII and DIII mostly. And, I am biased toward teams from the South. With all that in mind, here we go-

Robert Ramsay- Freddy One of the best ever. Really.
Tyler Swisher- Seguin The perfect spread back.
Dagerath brothers- FEAST Any one of them, they were all good.
Ethan Beall- Freddy The perfect QB in a tight-offense system.
Chris Villareal (Tarzan)- Fort Worth Glenview There's a reason his nickname was Tarzan.
Kyle Armstrong- Brenham Back in their heyday he was dang shifty.
Matt Ledder- Freddy So quick at nose that he beat the running back to the ball, took the hand off and scored.
Kyle Coffman- Seguin Gotta give some love to the center. Very good hands and LOVED to hit.
Dixon Pattillo- Freddy Not the gaudiest stats but a true field general (literally, graduated from West Point last spring).

So there you go, a look into the greats of years past. This would be my offensive list. Anyone for defense?

Yeah. Can't make the list without Robert Ramsey. I couldn't recognize his face if he rang my front door bell, but we at Lifegate could make out every curve of the 33 on the back of his jersey.

We had a game with them back in 2006, I think it was. Both of us unbeaten. Maybe not, now that I think about it, Freddy's 30-some game streak was broken, I think by Dallas Covenant, the week before.

Anyway, we're up 8-6 nearing the end of the half. And we got the ball, deep in Heritage territory. We decide to get a little aggressive and try to add another TD before half. Oops. Ramsey intercepts the ball and goes 80 yards for the score. We're down 14-8 at half.

Okay, second half. Freddy's up 22-16, but we got them pinned deep and it's fourth down. Looks like Freddy is punting so we got a decent chance to get back in this game. Nope. They fake the punt and Ramsey goes in untouched. 30-16, game more-or-less over.

Glad to see Kyle Coffman on the list. His play as center -- being able to slide out a few yards and take the usually un-guarded short dump pass for a big gain was great. But I still remember watching him take a Freddy onside on the bounce at full stride at the state title game in Zephyr and go to the house. (I thought Kyle got married this weekend, but it was his younger brother Kolton, who by my feeble memory can't be any older than 14.)

Dante Johnson at Town East and Castle Hills probably deserves some mention as well. Cripes, that kid only needed someone to snap the ball and give him the pitch. When he was at Town East, we had a game where during the game, Town East was down to five players. We had a harder time defending against him 5 on 6 that 6 on 6, well at least for awhile. Then when he went to Castle Hills, we had a playoff game against them. I think Castle Hills ran 8 or 9 plays in the third quarter. All but one of them was a Dante Johnson touchdown.

Either of the Hill brothers from Live Oak.
The older brother (Calvin) graduated in 2015. Could play any position.
Pretty much unstoppable (walked on at Baylor and played in several games).
Younger brother (Chase) is a senior on this year's team and is almost a carbon copy.
The Baileys from Live Oak are a good second choice.
Older brother (Daniel) was first team All State both ways his senior year (2016).
He got his name called with too many TD's to count but really made a bigger difference on defense.
I was on a sideline and heard an opposing team coach say it was 5 on 5 football because when Bailey was in the game because whoever he was covering was useless.
Younger brother (Matthew) was the QB on the team that won state last year and again this year.
His numbers were not astounding but that's the case when you have such an all around good team.
He was 7 of 9 for ~300 yards in one playoff game but 6 were for TD's so it's hard to pad numbers when you keep scoring.
He could throw the ball a mile but was just as good blocking for Hill on the sweep.

1. Robert Ramsay- Freddy
2. Kolby Burns - Duncanville Christway
3. Josh Hunt- Dallas Tyler Street
4. Travis Cole- Brehnam
5. Sergio Gordon- Arlington High Point
6. Ethan bell(correct me if I spelled it wrong)- Freddy
7. Chris Polk- Duncanville Christway
8. Lonnie Armstrong- Brehnam
9. Caleb Tate- Seguin Lifegate (R.I.P) and May god rest his soul he was such a great player and person
10. Eli Achilles- Bracken

I gave a top ten... played with two, played against 4 and saw 4

There was a kid 6-7 yrs ago from OLH. He didn’t have the team around him that many others did but he was a stud. I’d put him with any of the players I’ve seen in private school ball.

Veterans of this website will remember that in the early 2000s there was A LOT of talk of this kid being the best six-man player ever...driven big time by the private school folks...I will just put his 2004 stats right here for ya

Nathan Strand - Greenville Christian - 2004: 84 passing TDs
270 comp. - 447 atts., 4,438 passing yards

John Estes IV - Abilene Christian High School - 1996 season: 74 passing TDs

210 comp.-361 att. 4,264 yards passing 74 passing TDs with 12 INTs

*Abilene Reporter News, Tuesday, Dec. 24th, 1996, page 1-C

I think most of us are going off of the players we saw or played against.. I personally don’t know about those 90s and early 2000 teams.... heard about them though, especially El Paso JC.. I didn’t get introduced to 6 man until 2007 When left Duncanville High School and went to Duncanville Christway.

The OP said the last 10 years- otherwise there would have been names from Jesus Chapel, Happy Hill, St. Albans, Greenville, and the early Freddy teams.

Bluecats, was that OLH kid Marshal Walker?

pup":p4tvyy67 said:
The OP said the last 10 years- otherwise there would have been names from Jesus Chapel, Happy Hill, St. Albans, Greenville, and the early Freddy teams.

Bluecats, was that OLH kid Marshal Walker?

Sorry I was confused bc the topic title is best all time which implies... well in all of time

Dbsmithegg83 said:
I'm stealing this idea from the public school forum. They asked who were the best 6 man football players of all time. Well who are the best private school 6 man football players of all time or best private school players of the last 10 years.

As we see he said best of all time or last ten years so technically there should be some EPJC, GCS, Dallas Metro and Austin Regents players on the list.

As far as chapel goes Brice Helton, Nathan Hon, Joey Moreno, Eric Fierro are all great players. Wesley Smith from Dallas Metro was a heck of a running back so was Vance Smith from Greenville.

Derek Viosca from Dallas Metro was an outstanding defensive player.

Austin Regents was very dominant in the early 2000s. I believe they won 3 in a row before switching to 11-man. Ben Barnes and Ben Ratliff were crazy talented athletes on those teams. I'd also put Jesus Chapel up there as well. Brice was the man.

Back