Pre 1950s Gyms

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Out of curiosity...which schools use as their primary basketball gym a building that was erected before 1950???

I remember playing in gyms that we would call "cracker jack box" gyms and most if not all of those seem to long gone now...

The Morgan Mill gym is a classic. Barley enough room for player benches on the side under the stands. In which you were right on top of the players and coaches. Intimate. The other side and the end lines were what seemed like maybe 3' from the wall.
I couldn't find a picture of it on line but this one of the stands illustrate what I said about them. Note the kid in the front row that looks like he's almost standing on the coaches shoulders. And the rock wall(s) in the background. Also note the padding on the floor level of the wall behind the coach. I've seen kid's slam into the wall pretty hard chasing a ball going out of bounds.

Morgan-Mill-ISD-pics-IMG_1588.jpg

Last edited:
Gorse gym was one of the smallest I’ve played in or seen. The half court line moved back once you crossed it, the walls were the out of bounds and the 3 point line wouldn’t wrap into the corners because it wasn’t wide enough.

Gorse gym was one of the smallest I’ve played in or seen. The half court line moved back once you crossed it, the walls were the out of bounds and the 3 point line wouldn’t wrap into the corners because it wasn’t wide enough.
I bet you could run a nice half court trap

I remember Paint Rock gym had one corner of the court rounded because there wasn't enough room inside the building. Curious if they still use that old rock gym

Cherokee got to play in their new gym last basketball season. RS has an old rock gym, but it is not as much of a cracker box as some that I have seen. (Cherokee's old gym!) There is not a good seat for a spectator in Moran's gym! Mullin's is about the same. The two worst gyms that I have seen over the years was Cherokee and Iredell, thank goodness neither is used to play varsity games anymore.

Back