Practice Intensity/Difficulty Level & Players #s

CJN

11-man fan
I've got a question for the experienced coaches who have taken over programs.

I took over a program that has been used to softer coaching and no intensity for a number of years. Being a coach that demands a lot out of my players I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum.

We are suffering from low numbers right now and have had some kids drop off because they are not interested in going through our practices. I try to incorporate fun and get kids into the groove but some cannot hack it.

This is a catch 22 type deal for me because now that we have less kids we will have to make sure that the ones that stay are in super shape because they will be laying a lot.

The kids that are committed are excellent and I feel good about them. Right now I have 7 kids that I feel comfortable putting on the field in a competitive situation. We've got 12 total.

So my question is this: how intense can we go when this is a shock to their system? Should we toughen them up and just roll with what we have and say forget the rest?

Please offer your thoughts and philosophies on this. I'd be glad for any real input.

Coach you have one the most challenging situations. With respect to those at other levels, that is why coaching at our level is so very hard. I too work the kids very hard. We ran 45 40's at the first practice. We have very high standards and expectations. I think our kids would be dissapointed if we did not work this way. But this attitude did not happen over night. It often takes years to establish the tone of your program. My humble suggestion would be to never compromise your standards but be patient and build your kids up until they get there. I tell my staff often we will love them up to their potential. By all means don't forget about the ones who are not there yet. If your program is what it should be, and it sounds like it is, then this a place that young men need to be. It is easy to run a kid off but then we have no chance to influence his life, no chance to help him become a better man.

Just as we all learn at different rates, grow at different rates, we also mature and get with the program at different rates as well. Praise them ten times as much as you correct them, keep working hard but with patience and they will come around. It may not happen during two-a-days. It may not happen the first year but God promises us we will reap what we sew in time.

Hang in there and God bless!

You have to stay true to your program. Numbers will come and go, but the players have to know what your expectations are. I run a very high intensity, fast moving practice. We run a minimum of 16 - 40's at the end of each practice, as well as lift and plyometrics. At first, they thought they were going to die, but my numbers went from 14 to 22 this week alone. Word spread and the kids were looking for commitment and high expectations. They had a good coach last year, but he's gone. They were clueless what to expect; so when I came in and told them what my plans were and the consequences for not meeting my expectations; they were intrigued. While you have to worry about your numbers initially, stick to your program and let the results speak for themselves. Fair, firm and consistent - and the numbers will stabilize.

The greatest coach who knew all there was to know about practicing with limited numbers and be successful is Harvey Wellman. He lives in Lubbock and I bet if you contacted him, he would help.

Edward Golden":2hnwm15d said:
45 40's?

Getting in shape takes time....No way you get it done in two or three weeks...

Are they all still alive?

The practice was at night, and when you do the math 45 40's is just a little over a mile. We do something similar for our conditioning test. It's a mental thing more than physical. Coach Moree would never do anything to endanger his kids. That's just how he treats them like his very own kids not his players.

I'm thinking we, and I say we as in Americans, are making kids to soft and unaccountable today. That's the reason why we have the problems we do as a nation. Parents are not raising kids to be committed and responsible. As coaches it is our job to build good character traits through sports. If more youth would be involved in sports and show up to practice and work hard every day our nation would be different because there a lot of parents out there not raising kids. And, that falls back on teachers and coaches because we have a great impact on their lives.

Back