Possible Post Offices Closures

Knowmystuff

11-man fan
I received an email listing all the proposed post office closures in the state of Texas. There are A LOT of six-man towns on that list! A couple of thoughts....what would it mean if these towns lost their post office? Is this a sign of things to come for these small towns? How far off will forced consolidation be? And if this is a sign of the small West Texas towns dying that means it is also a sign that six-man football could go the way of the dinosaurs...something to think about.

I personally do all my mailing and money order buying at the Blackwell post office...I am happy to see that it is not on the list of proposed closures (but Maryneal and Nolan are)...I suggest that people buy stamps, pay their bills by snail mail, buy money orders and take care of all your shipping needs at your local post office...maybe it will help I don't know...

Sidney is on the list of closures. Our postmaster is setting up a time and place for a town hall style community meeting. She keeps using the term "they" when she is refering to this town hall meeting. I am not sure just whom will get to meet with. People from Comanche, Ft. Worth or both. Maybe someone from even higher up.

REALITY is our sport is dying. It is only a matter of time. I hope that Six-man last longer than me because to be truthful, I live for six-man. I really believe the sport kept me going in the toughest times I faced.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Here is the list:

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-p ... /texas.htm

Gordon and Strawn are not on the list but Mingus is. If they close a post office for a small town then that town is no longer a town and has to fall under another zip and city, right? So Mingus would cease to exist and we would end up being a rural part of Gordon or Strawn?

There are a ton of 6-man towns on this list. A wise man once told me that when sixman ceases to be our country would go into a total and complete collapse.

Andrew

Post Office Closings in Texas

by Brewster Hudspeth

List of Post Offices in Texas Being Considered For Closing >
The recent news of some 3,600 post office closing nationwide included a list of nearly 200 potential closings in Texas. It’s a cost-cutting measure and there can be little doubt that the U.S. Postal Service is feeling a big three-way pinch from e-mail, UPS and Federal Express, not to mention the millions of people using other technology to communicate.

Post Office Logo
I’m not sure what it was that happened in 1906 but it was drastic enough that they closed hundreds of post offices in Texas. It was too late for fallout from the famous “Panic of ’93” – and it evidently wasn’t drastic enough to have its own name inscribed in history books. Was the “Anxiety of ‘06” even considered?

These 1906 closures required an updated map of post offices operating in Texas so that postmasters could use their “return-to-sender” rubber stamp. The map was published in 1907 and a copy is held (securely) in the extensive map collection of the Texas General Land Office in Austin.

This recently restored map is frequently employed in the search for ghost towns, for that’s what many of these towns became after the quadruple whammy of WWI, the Great Depression, school consolidations and the postwar exodus in search of better- paying jobs.

But the post office map was just that – a map for showing post offices. Many of the towns that failed to appear on the 1907 map survived and made it to the (vastly more popular) highway maps that were still a few years off (all the publishers were waiting for were highways to be built).

To people familiar with the names on the list that follows, it may read like the table of contents for a ghost town book. Some communities have been declared such for years. These are towns like Doole, Langtry, Mentone, Panna Maria, Pontotoc, Pyote and even Texas Escapes’ mascot ghost town of Toyah.

The list (as of late July 2011) isn’t firm, but things don’t look good for these communities. In many cases, the post offices are the only building in town, although in three cases (Lipscomb, Mentone and Sarita) the closures are in county seats.

Valentine, Texas, where the post office has done a brisk business every February sending out its postmark to lovers around the world, may have to end that long tradition. Mentone, famous for having the least of everything in Texas may now have even less. The post offices of Hye and Hackberry are quaint reminders of a period before architectural standardization of these once-essential buildings.

None of the smaller post offices on the list contain murals from the 30s, but the list also includes some big city closures of neighborhood stations. One of those is the behemoth downtown post office in San Antonio, which has one of the most elaborate historic murals in Texas.

San Antonio post office mural
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson
Take a look at the list and see how many communities you recognize. There’s nothing to get excited about, unless you happen to live in one of them. Even then, you might get cold comfort in knowing that it may just be a matter of time before all the post offices go the way of fix-it shops, TV repair stores and video rental stores.

Ask someone under 30 when was the last time they went to a post office – or ask someone under 20 if they have ever been in a post office.
List of Post Offices in Texas Being Considered For Closing

A: Allison, Adrian, Altair, Aquilla, Austwell, Art.
B: Balch Springs, Bagwell, Barnhart, Barstow, Benjamin, Bledsoe, Berclair, Bluegrove, Bluffton, Brandon, Brookston, Burkett, Briscoe, Brookesmith, Burlington, Bynum,
C: Caddo, Calliham, Camden, Campbellton, Castell, Centralia, Chriesman, Christine, Collegeport, Concepcion, Concord, Cotton Center, Coyanosa, Cunningham, Cuney.
D: Dallardsville, Danciger, Danevang, Davilla, Deanville, Delmita, Desdemona, Dodson, Donie, Doole, Doss, Dougherty.
E: El Indio, Egypt, Encino, Energy, Enochs, Eola, Estelline,
F: Fannin, Farnsworth, Forreston, Forsan, Fowlerton, Fredonia,
G: Girard, Gober, Goree, Grandfalls, Greenwood, Guthrie,
H: Hackberry, Harrold, Harwood, Hedley, Hext, Hobson, Hochheim, Hye
IJK: Irene, Jermyn, Jonesville, Kamay, Kendleton, Kildare, Klondike, Knott
L: Lakeview, Langtry, Lane City, Lazbuddie, La Salle, La Ward, Ledbetter, Leona, Leesville, Lingleville, Lipscomb, Lissie, Lohn, Loop, Lowake,
M: Malone, Marietta, Maple, Maryneal, McAdoo, McCaulley, McFaddin, Melvin, Megargel, Meyersville, Mentone, Mereta, Mertens, Midkiff, Millersview, Mingus, Mirando City, Mound, Mumford, Myra
N: Nolan, Novice (79538)
O: Oilton, Oklaunion, Old Glory, Orla, Ovalo.
P: Pandora, Paluxy, Panna Maria, Pierce, Pecan Gap, Penwell, Pendleton, Penelope, Pep, Petty, Placedo, Pontotoc, Pyote,
Q: Quail,
R: Realitos, Ringgold, Rochester, Rock Island, Rockwood, Roosevelt, Rosston.
S: Sacul, Saliñeno, Sanford, San Perlita, Santa Elena, Saragosa, Sarita, Satin, South Plains, Sheffield, Selman City, Sidney, Slidell, Socorro, South Bend, Spade, Staples, Star, Sulphur Bluff, Sylvester.
T: Talpa, Tarzan, Thicket, Tehuacana, Tennyson, Thomaston, Toyah, Tuleta.
UV: Umbarger, Valera, Valley Spring, Valentine , Vancourt, Vanderpool, Voca, Votaw,
W: Water Valley, Weesatche, Welch, Wellman, Westhoff, Westbrook, Whitt, Whitharral, Whitsett, Wiergate, Willow City, Windom, Winert, Woodlake.

We used to have a post office on our home place, it opened in 1907 and closed in 1917. Like it or not Post Office closings are a reflection of society and the evolution of society. our Post Office served 20 or 25 families that lived on the place. the had a truck farm, cannery, syrup mill and grist mill. People didn't travel long distances. Heck I remember when I was a kid, a trip to Austin was planned days in advance. It was a BIG DEAL to go anywhere. Today I still live on the same place, think nothing of driving to Austin and being back well before lunch. I even have toll tags on all my vehicles.

Every community had a school and a church; yeah things change, sometimes not for the better.

The post office closings are from the double whammy of decreasing usage of the mail brought on by increasing usage of the internet and the continued flight of population from the small towns to the various metromess areas. The oil boom going on will just delay the population moves a few years in some areas.

Looks like even stable towns near a bigger city like Forsan/Big Spring and Water Valley/Carlsbad/San Angelo are losing one.

oneday":1a5ofqj7 said:
I received an email listing all the proposed post office closures in the state of Texas. There are A LOT of six-man towns on that list! A couple of thoughts....what would it mean if these towns lost their post office? Is this a sign of things to come for these small towns? How far off will forced consolidation be? And if this is a sign of the small West Texas towns dying that means it is also a sign that six-man football could go the way of the dinosaurs...something to think about.

I personally do all my mailing and money order buying at the Blackwell post office...I am happy to see that it is not on the list of proposed closures (but Maryneal and Nolan are)...I suggest that people buy stamps, pay their bills by snail mail, buy money orders and take care of all your shipping needs at your local post office...maybe it will help I don't know...

It could be bad for these little towns. Sometimes the only reason some folks come there is to go to the PO. Now they will bypass and go to the nearest town with a PO. Given the money the USPS hemmorages every year, I bet it will be gone in a decade,

Changing the subject a little...http://www.texasescapes.com/MaggieVanOstrand/Pithy-Tale-of-Owney-Post-Office-Pup.htm

I talked to the powers that be in Mingus today and they told me that a town does not stop being a town when the post office closes. Our towns are all incorporated and as long as they stay like that they will be recognized as a town. If the population of the town votes to be unincorporated then they would no longer be a town.

In Mingus our addresses may change to a Gordon or Strawn address as we would fall under one of those post offices but this is not for sure.

I was thinking about all the trouble it would be to change your address with everything. It seems like the major ones, electric, phone, water, gas, would all change them automatically as they get the updates of the closures/changes from the government. That would mean we would only have to change subscriptions and things like that. Not so hard that way.

Just wanted to get it on record how it really works and what is going on.

Thanks,

Andrew

CRSARM":hk4cql46 said:
I was thinking about all the trouble it would be to change your address with everything. It seems like the major ones, electric, phone, water, gas, would all change them automatically as they get the updates of the closures/changes from the government. That would mean we would only have to change subscriptions and things like that. Not so hard that way.

Just wanted to get it on record how it really works and what is going on.

Thanks,

Andrew

Were it that easy. I've had 3 or 4 address changes in the 30+ years I've lived here and EVERYBODY has to have official notification of COA. I cant imagine how it would be if I had actually moved, these were all PO changes.

Yew knowd,

When I read that list it done makes me profoundly sad. Not jest cuz of the closures, but cuz thare iz a lot of them places I ain't never been. It reminds me of the time I wuz drivin' down a road that I alwayz drove down and I passed thiz dirt road that I passed ever time I drove that road and it hit me that I never had been down that dirt road and then it reely hit me that I wud never live long enuff to drive down ever dirt road in Texas and that jest made me sad. If any of yew folks done got a helliecopter I wud done like to borrie it. Paris iz prolly nice and thare iz lotz of history round the world, but I'd like to see ever square inch of Lone Star State fore I die.

Here is some info I ran across that could be helpful.
Don Hardin
Abilene
If you are feeling helpless, and wondering what to do to try to have some influence over this process, you are not alone. The proposal to consider closing thousands of rural Post offices is a somewhat confusing process, and one that many people are struggling to understand.

There is an organization called the National Association of Postmasters that has formed a "Post Office Preservation Committee". This group has published a very handy guide that provides the information necessary in the event a post office comes under consideration for closing or consolidation. The guide is called "the Red Book" and it is specificall designed to help prevent the arbitrary closing or consolidation of any post office.

It has a description of the process, tips for what you need to do, and sample petitions to get you started. We think you will find it very helpful if you are trying to figure out how to address this in your own community.

Here is the link to that Guide:

http://www.napus.org/wp-content/uploads ... edbook.pdf

Prepared by:
Post Office Preservation Committee
National Association of Postmasters
of the United States
8 Herbert St., Alexandria,VA 22305-2600
703-683-9027; fax, 703-683-0923
www.napus.org

what about school closures, hospitals that are closing, the groc. stores mom and pop shops ever think about those when you run to wal mart, HEB, albertsons, what about using your local drs or do you go to your internest......when do we lookat ourselves? do you buy your insurance from you local agent??

point to ponder

what about school closures, hospitals that are closing, the groc. stores mom and pop shops ever think about those when you run to wal mart, HEB, albertsons, what about using your local drs or do you go to your internest......when do we lookat ourselves? do you buy your insurance from you local agent??

point to ponder

Local county hospital closures can be laid clearly at the feet of the federal involvement in medical care since 1965 (Medicare/Medicaid). Our betters in the DC establishment decided that there were too many hospitals and moved to cut payments for and ever expanding list of services to little county hospitals. It is much easier to keep thumbs on a few big hospitals in the bigger cities.

Back