Poll Question

WarEagle

11-man fan
I am new to six man football, so my question is for the veterans. Do you prefer a team with a strong passing game or a strong running game? In this case you have to pick one or the other as both is not an option lol.

-War Eagle!!

I am nowhere near a veteran like many of the other people on here, but I have played the game of Sixman and watched many, many games. I would have to go with a strong run game!

Agreed... If it was up to me they would ban the spread formation there is nothing better than smash mouth football but thats just my opinion

Smash mouth football usually requires mostly pretty big guys and doesn’t leave much room for the smaller Athletes. The Spread kind of levels the playing field where speed is more important than size. It’s wide open and exciting which is exactly why the colleges and pros use it. It draws crowds. Each to their own, nothing wrong with either one. Lets the kids play what they are best suited for.

There is a huge misconception that "spread" is automatically a passing offense. A lot of teams I know that spread the field use it to open the run game up. A strong run game is vital to the success of a team. I love the traditional tight offenses like jbird and t, but spreading it out and running it can be fun too. The O'brien veer is a fun addition that spreads teams out some. The best teams out there all have very strong run games and score plenty of points. No need to air it out unless absolutely necessary. (I will also add that I am a former 11 man guy with slot T knowledge, and love that offense. As we used to average 60 points a game with it, so people who think only spread can light up a score board are wrong.)

I totally agree coaches have to try and utilize the players they have and understand the concept of the spread but ive also seen smaller sized teams be successful running tight formation with discipline, good blocking assignments and blocking techniques it can happen i guess unless everyone on the team is under 110 pounds. As far as pros or colleagues i honestly dont watch much never cared for 11 man i bleed 6 man 100%

A good run game averaging 5 plus yards a carry can control the clock and when you control the clock you control the game and we all know a good offense is sometimes your best defense by keeping a quick scoring offense off the field again this is solely my opinion and what i feel is exciting to watch

New to sixman web and saw first six-man game at state championship at Shotwell in 2012. Have seen all six-man at Jerry World and lots of games during season. To the question of pass or run. In order to win state you better be able to do both. In one of the 2012 games one team could only run and the other team loaded the line and dared them to pass. They could not run or pass. I love a good running team but the ones that can go the length of the field, 79 yards, in one play and pass as needed.

In my personal opinion and experience it’s awfully hard to stop a team with a good ground attack. My sophomore, junior and senior years we were knocked out of the playoffs by teams with elite run games, and all three of those teams ended up in the state game, one of them winning it. Hard to win if you can’t score, and hard to score if the other team has the ball the whole game.

If you are on this site, obviously you are a football fan. Having coached both 11 man and 6 man my preference is 6 man. That being said, I highly recommend “12 Mighty Orphans” by Jim Dent. A true David and Goliath story that is also a detailed account of a period of Texas High School Football. I don’t want to give anything away except to say, treat yourself and read a true historical account of one of a special part in the history of Texas High School Football.

A dominant run game takes a man's soul. You every looked into the eyes of a hopeless defender? Saw the quit in every fiber of his muscles because will-to-will, his best is submissive to yours?
You only get that from running the ball. The run game is fist-to-fist, gladiator combat. There is no better glory of the game! The game was born and breed on the run game. I'm going through you.....STOP ME!!!!

I personally like a good balance of running and passing but I think a good coach would play to his player's strengths. To be successful in high school you can't have the same system every year cause your talent changes every year.

Hill Country, 2015 is the year I missed the state six-man championship. Sure wish I had seen it. I agree that a coach has to take his players and decide what their strengths are and go from there. Some how I listed as 11 man fan. I’m a high school football fan and this year I will be at Jayton plus watch at least seven more six-man games during the regular season. I watch some college and haven’t watched but one of that other bunch in the last year and that wasn’t the stuper bowel.

Back