Pickle Juice

freeagent

Six-man pro
Now, I know most of you guys are smart enough to know the benefits of pickle juice in relieving cramps ... and yes, I've bought this stuff at the HEB store ($1 for something like a 8-10 oz bottle) ... now some fancy gourmet online columnist finds out about it.

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-revi ... orts-drink

Pickle Juice and Gatorade Vie for Sports Drink Success
By Justine Sterling

After a long, intense run, what do you reach for? A bottle of water? A Gatorade? What about a nice cold glass of pickle juice? Sound odd? It could be the future of sports drinks.

While sports drink mogul, Gatorade, is attempting to diversify its product line to include bars, chews, shakes, and other performance-enhancing edibles, Brandon Brooks is staying pure with his product. Pickle Juice Sport. Advertising Age reports that Brooks began creating his pickle juice product in 2000 when he saw that carrot juice and pomegranate juice were such popular buys at the supermarket where he was the store director.

In 2006, Brooks began branding the product as a sports drink and used Dallas Cowboy Jason Whitten in a marketing campaign. A sports drink? Yes, pickle juice has been proven to relieve activity-related cramping. A Brigham Young University study found that subjects experienced relief just 85 seconds after ingestion. Even though some scientists believe that it is purely neurological, somehow the pickle juiced helped.

Although it is available in 23 states at HEB, Academy Sporting Goods, Super 1 Foods, and Brookshire's, Pickle Juice Sport has only recently become profitable. In part, that's because Brooks has started marketing towards niche athletes, much like Clif Bar's model. It worked. In 2010, sales were up 102% from 2009 and 2011 sales are 54% higher than 2010. Pickle juice is becoming a hot commodity.

Both Brooks and Gatorade are facing the same problem: how to make their products palatable.

Brooks plans on launching Pickle Juice Sport Plus, a sweeter version with added pomegranate juice, in 2012. Gatorade's problem is creating a product palatable to the market, MSN Money reports. The company's three-step drink plan, "Prime, Perform and Recover," was regarded as much too complex and overcomplicated. Owner PepsiCo is once again attempting to rebrand Gatorade, this time using star athletes to test the products, ranging from bars to shakes, as a marketing ploy.

Pickle Juice Sport or a Gatorade shake? What's your opinion?

Brandon Brooks,a Mesquite Skeeter Grad,,dated my oldest daughter

I remember Brandon started at Kroger as a grocery sacker...

I've tried the pickle juice,,has to be very cold and slam it,,,No way
i could just sip on that stuff

Used to be popular in the old concession stand as a snow cone. Ha Used to be lady in metromess who marketed a pill for cramps. They were horse sized and all but they worked. Name escapes me as does a lot of things. Main thing was keep them away from sugar on game days. Had a young man who we had to keep quinine on sidelines during warm weather, was the only thing that would relieve his cramps. Just saying.

Actually, the best drink for hydration is coconut water. It is taken from the green coconuts before they mature and brown and the innards thicken up. Coconut water was used in WWII and Vietnam as a substitute IV. More than any other compound in the world, it mostly resembles the makeup of human plasma and contains all the necessary electrolytes and in much greater concentration than any so-called sports drink could ever contain, and without the sugar, chemical dyes, etc. The medium-chain fatty acids contained in coconut water provide an instant energy source second to none. If you want to perform and keep performing the entire game at the highest level, here you go...........

Back