option or no option

allforhim

11-man fan
What does every one feel about running the option? And how would you run it? I have seen several run it with an unbalanced attack, but I like the balanced attack better. Is this possible? Just curious!

allforhim":3qe809mq said:
What does every one feel about running the option? And how would you run it? I have seen several run it with an unbalanced attack, but I like the balanced attack better. Is this possible? Just curious!

I'd run it like a sweep with the SB. The RB could lead block, option or go out in the flats. One thing that could be devastating that I don't see much is the shovel pass. The SB starts so far behind the LOS that he could force the Def to committ to the run then just lob a pass over their heads. Urban Meyer would be a good 6-man coach. Above all else with the option, attack the LOS!

I grew up watching Barry Switzers wishbone at OU and Bucky Richardson running the triple option at A&M, and wondered if there was a way to convert this to 6 man. I've seen the triple option run from by a few schools (like masonic home) but it was always from an unbalanced set.

Coach Steele here in Knox City is running a version of the option this year. He has a balanced line with an off set TB and a wing opposite of the TB. The WB goes in a arc motion, QB opens up and pitches to TB and then becomes pitch guy on the original WB side. The TB fakes or hands to WB and goes towards the DE and either keeps it or pitches to the QB. WB is going to one side and the option to the other.

I have seen the option out of the balanced set once this year. Offense lines up in a balanced I set, QB pitches to FB, TB becomes the dive back and the QB circles wide to become the pitch back. Very effective and tough to stop with the right personnel.

Most sixman options are too slow to develop. In '06 and '07 we ran a WB/TB option out of the Jaybird to the strong side with some success...but it was very dangerous and could make your offense look bad, especially against a gap defense.

One good option is the Spread run/pass option. The Spreadback takes the pitch while rolling left or right reading the cornerback. If he stayed with the wideout the SB tucked and ran.

Another is the Jaybird pitch/pass option Mitch Lee ran at PC earlier in this decade. His terminology was Unbalanced I. They always ran it with the line on the right and the option to the weakside. His QB Josh Thweatt was a deadly lefthander with beautiful technique. If the particular rec. was covered by the cornerback(QB read the CBs legs), Thweatt pitched to his TB and then leadblocked for him. They also liked to throw it to the middleEnd who ran a deepslant or post pattern. This idea worked well because the left corner and single safety had to choose who to cover in a split second. I worked on this same idea with Tyler and it was the most difficult thing he ever tryed to master. Of course we had too many offensive sets to devote enough time to it, so we abandoned it early in Ty's sophomore year.

Ft. Davis ran a Jaybird Spread Option where they rolled out reading a particular receiver's defender and pitched to the TB if the Rec. was covered. It was easy to execute. They had considerable success with it in 2003 with John Liddell. The coach was Gartrell or something like that. He was also the coach at Whitharral in 1996 and almost won state championships both years.

Back