Onside kicks and high score games.

Well, the one thing I haven't seen addressed here is player safety. The NFL and NCAA have instituted rules to make the onside kick harder and safer.
In sixman you can overload a side completely and have a 20 yard sprint, with the intent of someone blowing up the receiver to force a turnover. Plus in most cases even if the return man gives himself up, he still gets hit.

I would favor a 10 yard restraining line and the kicking team can not release until they kicked the ball. I have had players every year knocked out of the game and miss one to three weeks due to concussions recevied from onside kick coverage.
What exactly are you implying about a 10 yard restraining line? The fifteen yard kick minimum be extended to twenty five? Tweaking the onside kick could pretty much eliminate it as a standard play. Please elaborate.

If you practice it and have the speed and hands people it can be a weapon. I've seen a team receive the ball, score in 1-2-3 plays. Kickoff onsides, recover then score again in 1-2-3 plays. Then do it again. Up 24 - 0, 3-4 minutes into the game. This can be intimidating to an opponent. Plus, if you can shut them out your a point away from half way to 45'ing them. It Can inspire your team to dominate their opponent.

I mean, make the onside 10 yards like it is in 11 man with no running start and the kicking team cannot release until the ball is kicked.

Well, the one thing I haven't seen addressed here is player safety. The NFL and NCAA have instituted rules to make the onside kick harder and safer.
In sixman you can overload a side completely and have a 20 yard sprint, with the intent of someone blowing up the receiver to force a turnover. Plus in most cases even if the return man gives himself up, he still gets hit.

I would favor a 10 yard restraining line and the kicking team can not release until they kicked the ball. I have had players every year knocked out of the game and miss one to three weeks due to concussions recevied from onside kick coverage.
I absolutely agree with you. We had one hurt this yr from onsides also

If you practice it and have the speed and hands people it can be a weapon. I've seen a team receive the ball, score in 1-2-3 plays. Kickoff onsides, recover then score again in 1-2-3 plays. Then do it again. Up 24 - 0, 3-4 minutes into the game. This can be intimidating to an opponent. Plus, if you can shut them out your a point away from half way to 45'ing them. It Can inspire your team to dominate their opponent. Those extra points are important though. Missing a few require an extra TD or 2.

Back