One less TCAF school and one more charter school next year?

freeagent

Six-man pro
From the San Angelo Standard Times

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/no ... ce-review/

TLC Academy disputes state finance review

By Matt Phinney (Contact)
Originally published 01:06 p.m., November 19, 2008
Updated 01:39 p.m., November 19, 2008

A state review indicates TLC Academy had an unaudited $45,000 operating loss in 2007, a figure disputed by academy leaders who said they will prove Thursday that the school operated in the black.

TLC, a private Christian school, is seeking a state charter to become the first charter school in Tom Green County.

The Committee on School Initiative will vote Thursday on which of the 16 charter applications to recommend to the state board for approval. On Friday, the full education board will vote on the recommendations.

The board could vote on all the charters at once, or individually, said DeEtta Culbertson, spokesperson for the Texas Education Agency.

A TLC official said he is confident the school will prove its finances are in good order.

"That was an absolute mistake in a line item entry," said TLC Pastor Walt Landers said of the state review's figure. "We show we are $30,000 in the black, not red. There is not a financial problem here."

In fact, Landers said, the school has more students than ever, with a waiting list.

If approved, the TLC charter school would open in fall 2009 with a maximum enrollment of 250 students. The charter calls for a maximum enrollment of 1,000 students within five years of opening, but that doesn't mean it has to grow to that level, Landers has said.

According to the state's TLC Academy review, an "unaudited statement of activities" indicated a loss of $44,571 in fiscal year 2007 for the school.

"Discuss this loss and the specific steps which will be taken to prevent a situation of expenses in excess of revenues, or an operating loss," the review states.

Landers said he will present his financial information to the board Thursday. Several groups also are making the trip to Austin to speak in favor of TLC Academy.

Landers said TLC has a "real good chance" of getting a state charter because it has operated a school for 34 years, whereas several of the charter applications are from startup schools.

A credit report in the review also indicated "64 percent of trade experiences indicate slow payment."

"The charter applicant should discuss the slow payments and past due amounts," the review continued.

"In 34 years, we have never gone and not paid a bill," Landers said. "We are still doing business in San Angelo with some of the exact same vendors. Some of them are gone, but we are still here, and we have always paid our bills."

One charter applicant has withdrawn from consideration, which means 16 are going forward next week. The state has capped the number of charter schools at 215, and there are six potential openings, up from four because two charters have been revoked this year, said Bob Craig, member of the Texas State Board of Education, District 15, which includes San Angelo.

The state does not have to fill all six openings, he said. Two applicants that applied a year ago and were rejected have come back with improved charters, he said. Schools that are turned down this year can re-apply again.

The charters are rated by five independent auditors, he said.

The applications are compared against each other and ranked, and those with strong financial backgrounds obviously stand the best chance, Craig said.

Most charters that fail eventually do so because of financial reasons, he added.

The questions raised by the state agency with TLC's charter are legitimate concerns, Craig said.

"There are some good applicants throughout the state," Craig said. "If you are going to select someone to be a charter, you want to select an applicant that has the best chance to succeed. You don't want to pick an applicant that is marginal."

TLC charter application was approved; another article in the San Antonio paper mentions that the state has reached its limit of 215 charter school permit holders; 8 other applicants were placed on a "waiting list" as existing permit holders either return their permits or have them revoked.

San Antonio article says that there is a $450,000 start up fee paid to new charter permit holders over the first three years for initial costs (some charter operators open new campuses which do not get this fee) and there are 17,000 kids on waiting lists for charter schools.

Does/will TCAF permit taxpayer funded (and therefore secular) charter schools to join or remain as members?

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/no ... chool-okd/

John, I beleive that UIL has some say in how high school level charter schools can be affiliated with leagues, districts, etc. I had some experience (from the outside) with El Paso School of Excellence (now closed, I believe). The charter schools are encouraged to compete in all UIL activities and are assigned a district according to their size. Don Markum at Hill School is the TCAF President and probably has his finger on the pulse of TCAF's position, but my guess is that the answer is "No." Charter schools need to use their access to UIL in order to compete. Perhaps if our wonderful government could come to their remarkably dull senses and pass a voucher's bill (that made sense!!), there would be a greater opportunity to blur the line between state-supported and private; but I will not hold my breath waiting for it.
Of course, vouchers would also directly compete with the charter system (and who thinks that competition still makes it better for all invovled??).
(Sorry, I do not seem able to post without sarcasm...)

There is always the possibility that the benchmark for all Texas private sports, TAPPS, will change their mind about charter school participation ...

No, seriously, stop laughing

... when the devil can enjoy iced tea in his own domain.

StC Wildcat":46uy5qzl said:
John, I beleive that UIL has some say in how high school level charter schools can be affiliated with leagues, districts, etc. I had some experience (from the outside) with El Paso School of Excellence (now closed, I believe). The charter schools are encouraged to compete in all UIL activities and are assigned a district according to their size. Don Markum at Hill School is the TCAF President and probably has his finger on the pulse of TCAF's position, but my guess is that the answer is "No." Charter schools need to use their access to UIL in order to compete. Perhaps if our wonderful government could come to their remarkably dull senses and pass a voucher's bill (that made sense!!), there would be a greater opportunity to blur the line between state-supported and private; but I will not hold my breath waiting for it.
Of course, vouchers would also directly compete with the charter system (and who thinks that competition still makes it better for all invovled??).
(Sorry, I do not seem able to post without sarcasm...)

There is always the possibility that the benchmark for all Texas private sports, TAPPS, will change their mind about charter school participation ...

No, seriously, stop laughing

... when the devil can enjoy iced tea in his own domain.

Here's what I know ... very little, but something.

1. Charter schools are tax supported schools and as such are eligible to join UIL. There are probably a dozen or so charter schools currently in UIL. There are, by the way, three publicly funded schools in TAPPS ... Austin Texas School for the Deaf, Gainesville State School, and Giddings State School (the latter two are prison schools). They are "grandfathered" as TAPPS members as current rules would not permit them to join TAPPS (years ago, UIL specifically restricted those schools from membership and I think that the prision schools are still restricted from joining).

There is no requirement that Charter Schools MUST join UIL. And I think I read something last year during realignment that UIL required that Charter Schools wishing to play football would have to show that they were able to participate in the sport (a currently operating team, for example) before they would be assigned to a district.

I don't see TAPPS accomodating charter schools, especially when tax-supported charter schools are direct competition with tuition and church supported private schools. Although T-CAL has accepted some charter schools, I really see a problem when a religiously inclined (ie Christian) organization accepts secular schools into their ranks. But it ain't my decision, so I'll leave it to T-CAL and TCAF to deal with this.

(In my book, any church who "sells out" to a charter school or obtains a charter school permit is like the man who serves two masters -- seems my Bible has a story about that, maybe yours does, too. What happens is that the school is a separate legal, secular organization. They make a contract to lease the facilities from the church/previous private school property owner. I'm sure the business office likes to get those rent checks for facilities, but at what cost. At least my Catholic friends are willing to host their own Bingo games and church raffles to raise money. And when the first applicant for a teaching position that holds views abhorhent to the church that hosts the charter school gets hired, well, remind me to grab a bag of popcorn and get a good seat for the show.)

Speaking of charter schools, there is one in San Antonio who regularly advertises on a Christian radio talk show, promoting a "private school education at a public school price," the host talks about how the school has uniforms and spanking (no mention, of course, of the lack of a Christian-based education, although I think the charter school organization is backed by a local church who has been able to afford a new sanctuary/campus a few years back). A local newspaper article mentioned that the school is among the lowest ranked in TEA ratings of charter schools.

2. A problem when a charter school joins UIL is that they fall under UIL rules; specifically concerning attendance zones and full-time staff as coaches (that is, no part time or volunteer coaches ... including assistants). Very few charter schools can afford to participate in UIL for that reason, and attendance zones can restrict eligibility for first-year (ninth grade) students and transfers. Most charter schools have elected not to join UIL for that reason. However, UIL has an archaic rule that penalizes UIL member schools who schedule UIL-eligible non-member schools ... you can play the game, but if you lose the game to the non-UIL school, you are ineligible for the playoffs. So, if you're Small Town ISD H.S. and play Little Charter School and WIN, no problem. But if Little Charter WINS, you're penalized. So, it's pretty well eliminated public schools as charter school opponents.

I know that some of the charter schools in San Antonio have their own league; we used to have one in our Christian junior high league until we decided to limit the league to private schools only several years ago.

3. Brother, if you want my agreement on vouchers, you got it. Ain't gonna happen on a state-wide scale anytime soon. We had a guy in San Antonio who funded a private scholarship program for one of the poorer (economic and educational) districts for the past ten years (ended this year) and has tried to elect members to the legislature to continue the program statewide, with little success. Some of those schools heavily dependent on those scholarships have either gone to charter programs or are losing students.

But vouchers are going to have problems too. No politician gives money without strings ... regardless of what side of the aisle they sit on.

There are good charter school operations ... and bad ones. Kinda comes from the part that the people involved are, well, people.

More than you really want to know about this ... from the TEA website:

Texas Open-Enrollment Charter School Handbook
Extracurricular Activities

Most extracurricular activities are governed by the rules of the University Interscholastic League (UIL). UIL sponsors athletic, academic, and music competitions for students, beginning in the seventh grade. Charter schools that choose to participate in UIL activities must comply with UIL rules.

Charter schools are not subject to TEC Chapter 33, Subchapter D (Extracurricular Activities) in its entirety but must comply with Section 33.081 (the “no pass, no play” rule) and with the rules in 19 TAC, Chapter 76 that limit participation in and practice for extracurricular activities. See TEC § 12.104(b)(2)(I).

Various TEA staff members, as appropriate, provide direction and interpretation of commissioner of education rules and state law related to non-UIL extracurricular activities. Mike Peebles of the Division of Education Services serves as the liaison for non-UIL extracurricular activities at the Agency. Terry Phillips is the TEA staff member to call at (512) 463-9354 if you have questions about FFA, 4-H, and FHA. For questions about cheerleading and drill teams, contact the UIL at (512) 471-5883 and ask for Bonnie Northcutt, Mark Cousins, or Richard Floyd.

For information specifically on UIL-sponsored extracurricular activities, including the Constitution and Contest Rules (which outlines the plans for each competitive activity and includes a calendar and sanctions for rules violations) and the TEA-UIL Side-by-Side (which addresses a number of questions and answers regarding extracurricular activities), go to the UIL website at http://www.uil.utexas.edu/academics. For the TEA-UIL Side-by-Side Manual Information 2007-08, go to http://www.uil.utexas.edu.

Dang it, John!!! If we keep agreeing on stuff its gonna take the stank out of our debates!! Thank-you for all the info. I can see where some of my thinking was a little off, but not too far in regards to how Charters can participate.

I did not think about the two masters angle, but already agreed about church-supported schools selling out to the charter system. As far as that San Antonio charter school goes, arrogance comes before a fall. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Sometimes it takes awhile because they are so far "up there." (Or is it "out there"?)

Hope your Thanksgiving is filled with peace, love, and the blessings of family and good food.

Coach Sobey

StC Wildcat":754bijhn said:
Dang it, John!!! If we keep agreeing on stuff its gonna take the stank out of our debates!! Thank-you for all the info. I can see where some of my thinking was a little off, but not too far in regards to how Charters can participate.

I did not think about the two masters angle, but already agreed about church-supported schools selling out to the charter system. As far as that San Antonio charter school goes, arrogance comes before a fall. The bigger they are the harder they fall. Sometimes it takes awhile because they are so far "up there." (Or is it "out there"?)

Hope your Thanksgiving is filled with peace, love, and the blessings of family and good food.

Coach Sobey

My wish for you and yours for the same ... and our entire sixman football family. May we enjoy the day and give thanks for the blessings that the Lord places in front of us every day of our lives.

Sad article in today's San Antonio Express News. Seems some Catholic schools are looking at the charter school angle in the future, especially in those inner-city and poorer neighborhood schools. There is a former Catholic school in Beeville (about halfway between San Antonio and Corpus Christi) that went charter several years ago; how they spent the summer removing all religious symbols/references from the school and have grown and built new facilities.

But unless the state expands the number of charter permit holders beyond 215 (or a current charter holder extends their charter to include other locations), it may be an academic issue.

As reported elsewhere, San Angelo TLC Charter School announced they will play 11 man football in 2009 in preparation for assignment to a UIL 11 man district in 2010.

Back