One District Game - One Playoff Berth

badgercountry

11-man fan
Anyone else notice High Island played their first district game today and made the playoffs? Forfeit by Prairie Lea, HI quits game in second quarter due to injuries against Calvert. Finally played Buckholts today and won - and make the playoffs.

Didn't mean to insinuate they weren't the second best team. Just thought it was odd that today was their first "completed" district game and they made the playoffs.

Edward Golden":2gof1nm0 said:
I would rather see 8 team districts with 3-4 teams going to playoffs than 4 teams with 2...JMO
I would agree to have 7-8 team districts.
I would rather have more games that really matter because we've had several injuries and lost 2 Seniors and 1 Junior before district even started.

badgercountry":3dty8ffe said:
Didn't mean to insinuate they weren't the second best team. Just thought it was odd that today was their first "completed" district game and they made the playoffs.

If they only lost to one team in the district, how are they not the 2nd best team?

More teams in a district would be great but I don't think we will see that again with two divisions. When I was in highschool our district was loaded with Oglesby,Aquilla,Abbott,Calvert,Jonesboro,and Buckholts. But now the drive would be to far to make a district with that many teams due to the divisions.

I guess their true ability was revealed in their last game. Should someone be teaching our boys that there are times when you dont really earn what you get and should therefore decline?

Sorry, guess I'm not really following what your trying to say. Are you suggesting a team decline a playoff berth in favor of team who is even worse? A playoff game can be a really BIG deal for any school if handled properly. More especially for schools that don't make it into the playoffs all that often. We have a tendency on this board to give the back of our hands to teams that are 45'd in the playoffs. These schools did not choose the districts that they were placed in, did not choose the #s in their district, did not choose the # of schools going to the playoffs out each district and certainly didn't choose who they would catch in the first round of the playoffs. We should be applauding the kids on these teams for making the most of their opportunities, for winning an opportunity to play in a playoff game. For some, it will be the highlight of their high school careers, for others, it could be the highlight of their life.

I deplore the situation in Houston where the team is in a four team district and made the playoffs without winning a game all year. That team did not earn the right of playing in the playoffs, but it is not the kids fault. The fault lies with the UIL for placing those kids in that situation.

Its just an observation...not a judgement. There has always been this overarching theme in athletics of character development. We either need to take that seriously or forget it altogether. Of course the kids dont have a say in how the system works so i was just wondering if coaches shouldnt deal with unearned playoffs in a different way? Deep down in a kids psyche they know its wrong to go to the playoffs as a fourth place team.

Blue Bird":2o9aip5h said:
Sorry, guess I'm not really following what your trying to say. Are you suggesting a team decline a playoff berth in favor of team who is even worse? A playoff game can be a really BIG deal for any school if handled properly. More especially for schools that don't make it into the playoffs all that often. We have a tendency on this board to give the back of our hands to teams that are 45'd in the playoffs. These schools did not choose the districts that they were placed in, did not choose the #s in their district, did not choose the # of schools going to the playoffs out each district and certainly didn't choose who they would catch in the first round of the playoffs. We should be applauding the kids on these teams for making the most of their opportunities, for winning an opportunity to play in a playoff game. For some, it will be the highlight of their high school careers, for others, it could be the highlight of their life.

Blue Bird, you hit the nail on the head. 100% correct in my opinion.

Back