On side kick question

Some years ago, working a game, the stud player is the assistant coaches son. Good athlete, thought he was great and wanted everyone to know it. Flagged him for doing the sack dance over the quarterback. A few plays later HL flagged him for holding. His dad comes on the field raising holy heck. Let him have his rant, thought it was behind us, very next play, he comes on field with tape over his mouth, flag and ejection. He has to be helped off the field.
I'm thinking about all the reports I have to turn in, trip to Austin. After the game, a gentleman in a suit wants to talk. The superintendent, tells me not to worry over the reports, etc, they fired him at the end of the field, wouldn't let him ride the bus home, he had to catch a ride, his wife wouldn't ride with him.

cowman52":2u2yoyof said:
Every now and then you find one that a flag is the only thing that gets his attention. You try to go along to a point and when it is time, you hit him with two. 30 yards will get his notice, just make sure he deserves every yard.

FYI: In TAPPS, if you flag a football coach with three unsportsmanlike penalties (15 yards) in a game, that is reported to TAPPS, the coach gets a monetary fine ($50-250, depending on how many ejections his school has been assessed prior to this occasion) and a one-game suspension. Get too many of those ejections, and you and your administrators get to travel to the TAPPS office for a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the Board and others.

I'm guessing in public schools, as I have been advised by friends, such an action will get you the opportunity to spend some quality time in meetings with your superintendent and others, and the topic of the conversation will not be your "Cover 2" defense. One friend of mine told me that it would probably involve the insertion of a letter not helpful to have in your "permanent file."

I have a somewhat rule, the wing officials tolerate a mouthy, pushy coach unless he bumps them. When it gets to the point of needing attention, we will have a talk. If I can hear him from the middle of the field, it is time to handle it.

UIL you can file an incident report, it goes all over, and usually handles any problem. An ejection is a trip to Austin for a hearing that is pretty much stacked unless there is video proof the official screwed up. That gets a year probation, the second in that year is a suspension from coaching, including coaches pay. You have very few that want the grief.

Back