O'Brien Veer

Dmunkers

Six-man observer
I'm going into my 2nd year as a 6 man HC here in Oregon. From what I have seen very few teams in the PNW are running any type of option, especially, triple option. Currently, I'm watching the old youtube film of O'Brien from the 70's and I am wondering if there are teams in Texas that still run the veer as their primary offense? If so, I'd love to know what defense's do to shut it down and how you counter those adjustments. Thanks for any and all help.

I'm going into my 2nd year as a 6 man HC here in Oregon. From what I have seen very few teams in the PNW are running any type of option, especially, triple option. Currently, I'm watching the old youtube film of O'Brien from the 70's and I am wondering if there are teams in Texas that still run the veer as their primary offense? If so, I'd love to know what defense's do to shut it down and how you counter those adjustments. Thanks for any and all help.
Bastop
Coach Golemon at Tribe in Bastrop runs the veer to perfection. You should reach out to him they just won state again this year.

The 4-2 or any 5 man front will cause issues with the option. Mainly because it puts two lineman on each side of the center. This causes problems because the "read" is typically the DE, but because the extra D-lineman on playside has to be blocked, the linebacker will typically fill the hole and take on the dive, allowing DE to flow to the pitch and maintain outside contain. It really didn't change much for me, as I still liked the one-on-one match up on the outside. Plus, it still requires the DE to read the play. Best way to keep them honest was to have that play-side lineman rub-block and release to the flats for a pass. This forces the linebacker to slow-play the option.

The 4-2 or any 5 man front will cause issues with the option. Mainly because it puts two lineman on each side of the center. This causes problems because the "read" is typically the DE, but because the extra D-lineman on playside has to be blocked, the linebacker will typically fill the hole and take on the dive, allowing DE to flow to the pitch and maintain outside contain. It really didn't change much for me, as I still liked the one-on-one match up on the outside. Plus, it still requires the DE to read the play. Best way to keep them honest was to have that play-side lineman rub-block and release to the flats for a pass. This forces the linebacker to slow-play the option.
Completely agree with this regarding the Obrien Veer. You would have to have flawless execution and be very fast off the ball for it to work. I think it would be more of a situational offense if you're running it. If you noticed, the FB who gets the pitch (who is about 5 yards back), has to fake the dive to the dive to the TB (who would block in this situation), and then run the option with QB. The split end usually makes it 5 on 5 with the 1 on 1 coverage on the outside, so you wouldnt necessarily see a 5 man front stacked on the line all the time. It would force a 3-3 or a 4-2/ 4-1-1. I see a lot of benefits out of it but I also see a lot of flaws.

Strawn ran this some in the 90's out of an unbalanced line and a line with a split receiver. A film from the '97 area round shows it some, although the quality of the video isn't as good as what you would see today.

Too bad Strawn had that scrawny ole QB. @Shane-Mallory
Strawn ran this some in the 90's out of an unbalanced line and a line with a split receiver. A film from the '97 area round shows it some, although the quality of the video isn't as good as what you would see today.
Thanks, I found several old games on youtube, some of the film looks like exchange film I've received. Nice footage of the crowd, cheerleaders and press box door.

Too bad Strawn had that scrawny ole QB. @Shane-Mallory
Can anyone post a film that does not require me to re-live a heartbreak??? Also, you cant tell which one is me for the grainy old fim anyway haha.

I got tired again just watching that. During those days, there weren't as many high scoring games as there are now. This was a rarity in the 90's. Damien Jackson is one of the best to ever play this game in my opinion. We were fast. Not kind of fast, but FAST. He made us look slow.

Aaron Orsini (#1 Strawn) to me is one of the most under-rated players of those times. He was crazy good.

As far as the O'brien Option goes, I can say that I have tried it with teams I coached, and did not have near the success we did in 97. Those teams I tried it with, did not have Aaron Orsini though, and that was the difference.
We LOVED running the offense. It was a blast. I remember in the Bi-dist game that same year, Aaron pitched me the ball, and I know the defender saw it, but he must have been told his responsibility was him, so I followed both of them to the endzone. I remember Aaron and I both getting the edge at home one game (IDK who we were playing) and with nothing between either of us and the endzone, Aaron pitched me the ball. I sped up to pitch it back to him but I could hear Coach Bradley already screaming at him for doing that, so I just kept it and scored instead of whatever punishment he would have had for me. Cracks me up to think about it now. I would go ahead and pitch it this time I suppose.

I was going to help Coach Guzman out but as usual I was slow. Black and Gold, I figured out which one you were. I also heard a voice from the crowd that I recognized.

Last edited:
I saw that when I watched some games on NFHS. Interesting formation.
The key is the lead snap and the Quarterback quickly getting his eyes on the Fullback. The blocking is the same as the old Wing T Sweep from 11 man with two pulling guards and play side linemen blocking down. The two guards are the Fullback and Quarterback. The QB has to read the block of the Fullback. The center can block backside, but, may also just release to the outside as a receiver. Here is what I got from him and put into my terms: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11DuTxHzBdGm1mCyO317_J1QT0MquRrCh?usp=sharing

Back