No Wonder No One Thinks It's a Rivalry...

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
11 years ago...that was the last time Blackwell beat Highland (HS football that is)...since then it has been 8 straight wins for the Blue Hornets of Highland...wait make that 9 straight wins after tonight's victory...I can understand now why no one thinks this is a rivalry...because it isn't any more...it use to be...the final buzzer tonight has doubled as a death knell.

Congrats to Coach Shelton, the Highland Players, and their faithful!

Blackwell 50
Highland 48

I was a soph...chris morgan and aj monroe tore us up from top to bottom. Remember it like it was yesterday. Aah the nostalgia. This i believe was the first football game played at the new hornet field if my memory serves me correctly.

I got the chance to make the game. First of all "Rivalry" appeared to be more of a fan deal than the players. For a team to be down 18 points and then come back to lead and lose showed me the teams were pretty evenly matched. Kudos to Highland as they are a good team but blackwell isn't just a push over and is good too. Isn't Highland DI and Blackwell II. Would expect DI to beat DII.

Lemans post makes me think that he loved seeing blackwell lose. Isn't he from Blackwell. No loyalty there. Also post isn't deemed as a reporting post but a jab at the school that educated him.

Lastly Leman do you have a real job or do you live in the past as a child? Because all I see and here is your "expertise" as a football guru.

Sorry but with all that I have read I can't believe the way adults post crap- guys this is high school football not world ending events. I will go watch blackwell again as I see them going a ways in the playoffs. Highland has Ira and Rotan and Hermleigh to face. Maybe they will make it out maybe not.

Lastly if I was Leman I would be ashamed to show my face at a game of Blackwell with the fans after his post.

Leman, I can't believe that you, of all people, would post that.I would truly be ashamed if I were you. If you were at the game last night then you saw the emotion that makes it a rivalry from both sides.it was two really good teams going after it...I know that the Blackwell kids literally drug themselves off the field, they left everything they had on it!

Secondly, being from Blackwell, you know how far these kids have come.two years ago they were 0-10 and 45ed 7 of the games. Actually according to them, if the situation had remained the same most wouldn't even have continued to play football. Now they are 6-1 and a group of young men anyone would be proud to coach (I certainly am!) My hat is off to the admin and coach Lowry for the job they have done to get us to this point and trust me, it will get even better!!!

Thirdly, about the field....that comment went beyond ignorance to complete stupidity...I coached in this district about 12 years ago and had to play on the old field....and in the old gym for that matter...I have to say that in 26 years I have been to worse fields, but not many...I would have to rank the "field of dreams" below it, but that's about it. I've never played at a nicer 6 man field than the new one...

CDLfan":2zakxvdj said:

Lastly Leman do you have a real job or do you live in the past as a child? Because all I see and here is your "expertise" as a football guru. ..............
You gotta have a job to post on here?........ Durn I hope Guru doesn't take my super-dooper decoder ring away from me...........

Didn't saunders grow up in Blackwell? Or was it Highland? My memory is not what it used to be but I recall him toting water on one of those sidelines. Maybe it was Crowell.

Leman Saunders":3ju415yd said:
sorry but the new Blackwell field was finished in 2010...that game was played on the old AND BETTER field

O...Highland's field is the one you meant...nevermind

Did you get a butthole transplant from Bear Bryant because I'm pretty sure you're talking out of a butthole so I'm hoping that it's his because if not you're just a crap talker.

No one can duplicate the all powerful Rainjack .......... Not that anybody would really want to but Hey, to each his own as I say ...............

Man o man laying it on thick...that's fine. A few thing to clear up here.

I have been singing Blackwell's praises all year and have been taking it on the chin every week by people calling me a "homer" for ranking them in the top 10 since the preseason (if you didn't know i write for Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magaizne including doing their six-man rankings every week online). Which by no means is/was the case, I wasn't being a homer, I knew they would have a very good team because I know they have great athletes that have played together for years and now a key group of them are seniors so this was the year I expect it to pay off and it has.

Coach Means, no question that it was a hard fought game! Never said it wasn't. Never said it wasn't a good game. I tried my best to get texasfootball.com to make it the feature six-man game of the week. I have been promoting this game for weeks with people. And yes I might have tried to look on the brighter side of my alma mater loosing, and that they came back and took the lead and played a close hard fought game. Great effort by Blackwell! And everyone should be proud of that...no question!

My post about how one sided this rivalry has become over the last 12 years and how disappointed I am in the fact that Highland won again when I was so sure Blackwell would finally beat them.

In 100% honesty I did not try to make a pregame prediction publicly for this game because I would have picked Blackwell by 20 ( and a few out there can vouch for that) and I did not want to
1. jinx them.
2. Pour fuel on the Highland fire.
and 3. I was taking into considerations my former coach (yes at Blackwell) and his son, whom I have the up most respect for, that are at Highland and his son plays for Highland.

Ok the field...I do not like the new type of turf fields...and that has been a long standing joke with people on this site including Don Hardin who always razzed me about turf fields. Sorry I like the grass fields better. I liked our old field, it is more about nostalgia than anything else...if you can't understand that I am sorry. Say what you want.

Now...the purpose of my post...and response to CDLfan...I did not want Blackwell to lose...I had them ranked 6th in DII and was being harassed by people for ranking them so high all year...and if I wasn't loyal to them why would I do that? My post is about how the Highland v Blackwell football rivalry isn't a rivalry anymore because it has been one sided for way to long and that is depressing to me. Which lead me to opine about it last night in my disappointment in that MY hometown team lost (again could have been more positive for the players sake, sorry about that).

CDLfan your first 4 sentences are spot on. The rest i won't dignify with a response (same goes for jimnedder).

Again Coach Means sorry that I felt bad Blackwell lost when I really really wanted them to win for a variety of reasons. And sorry that I liked the field I played on and my father played on where I had great moments with my friends and family at. I just liked the old field and if you want to fault me for that fine.

One more thing I'd like to point out...this post of mine goes back to an older topic on this message board "Best Six-Man Rivalries" where I suggested Blackwell v Highland and was told by people that it wasn't a rivalry...so before you go throwing stones at me maybe you should read a little deeper into what I have said. My user name at the time was "oneday"

This post is a direct response to that older topic and posts made in it...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18257&hilit=rivalry+games+ira

and here is another one

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17204&hilit=rivalry+games

Leman,
Those of us with an IQ in the triple digits and a little bit of time invested in six-man football and this board know what you are saying and understand it fully. Take a look at who is slamming you... West Texas Sixmaner and jimnedder. Blithering idiots from way back. Don't waste your time trying to explain yourself to them, they'll NEVER get it nor do they want to.

Back