No Helmet

BDog72

11-man fan
What is the current rule when a player loses his helmet? In the case I am thinking about it was pulled off by a defender.

Let me a bit more specific about the situation and my question. A ball carrier is running and a defensive player rips his helmet off by grabbing the face mask but the runner is held up by other defensive players. The runner was not down. Should the play be blown dead immediately and a 15 yard penalty assessed against the defense?

Yes, the ball becomes dead immediately when the ball carrier loses their helmet. A 15 yd penalty is assessed in this situation due to the face mask penalty.

Like this?

pics deleted

No whistle until after the runner took a helmet to his bare head and the pile was on the ground. He had to leave the game and go to the hospital for tests. Thankfully, no concussion or other serious injury. VERY lucky.

If it's not the rule to blow the whistle when a helmet comes off, it should be.

we can't see how his helmet came off, but we do have a ball carrier with no helmet and that play should be blown dead immediately.

fencewire":136z08ci said:
we can't see how his helmet came off, but we do have a ball carrier with no helmet and that play should be blown dead immediately.

Agreed. I don't know if it was a facemask or any other penalty or not, but the whistle should have blown in my opinion.

fencewire":1qu5llr0 said:

The referee is right there watching this play unfold in front of him. He did call a facemask penalty but did NOT blow the whistle until the runner was on the ground. It is hard to tell in the pictures but the play continued for several seconds after his helmet was removed.

I didn't post the pic in order to identify the ref personally. Let's not go there. In hindsight, I should have blurred his face, I guess.

Every ref that's ever worked a game has missed calls and made bad calls. That just happens. I doubt he let this play run in order to try to get the player hurt on purpose. He just failed to blow the whistle when he should have.

When it comes to helmets coming off on the field, there are a lot of new things to think about this year.

1. When the ballcarrier's helmet comes off, the play is immediately dead.

2. If ANY player's helmet comes off during a play and the helmet did not come off as a result of a penalty by the other team, that player has to come out of the game for one play. He cannot be "bought back in" with a time-out and it doesn't matter if it was the last play of the second half.

3. Once a player's helmet comes off in the field of play, he is by definition OUT OF THE PLAY. As a result, if any player hits him, it is a 15-yard penalty against the player who hits the helmetless player.

4. Once a player's helmet comes off in the field of play, he cannot continue to participate in the play outside of the immediately action in which he was engaged. In other words, he can finish making a tackle or pick up a ball in his immediately vicinity, but he cannot take several steps to make a tackle, block, or otherwise participate in the play. If he does, it is a 15-yard penalty on the helmetless player.

Back