New to Six Man

coachj2012

11-man fan
Hello all,
I have just accepted a job at a School near houston coaching sixman football and all other sports. I have played 11-man and coached 11-man for 1 year. I have underwood's book and it has been very helpful, but is there more out there that i can get?

Wow, Dogface, a ONE word answer? Seriously, though, he's right. Not much in terms of books. But there's a plethora of knowledge hanging around at every coaching clinic you can attend. Most any coach will be open and willing to give info on what he coaches. Make sure and attend every clinic you can. Richland Springs is this weekend and Seguin is coming up. Or just email a coach you may know. Most would be happy to help.

I gave the long answer to this Q
on the Newby thread.

The non-snarky response would be:

K.I.S.S.

As with ANY sport
you mainly focus on fundamentals at gamespeed!
No difference in FB fundamentals
between 6man and that other one.
Pick Off/Def formations based on the team strengths.
Come up with 5 plays the team feels confident in.
Run em' R and L from 2 diff. Off. formations.
You now got 20 plays.

That's basically it.
You can make it harder than it needs to be,
but,
that would be weird.

There are other books on six man ... in fact, I got one on line the other day. Published in 1940, but I got the second printing from 1954. Came out of the Bismark, ND Public Library, but the guy writing the book wasn't really sold on the spread offense ...

Maybe I'm telling a tale out of school, but I think Mike Reed is working on a six-man book. Not sure if and when it will be out; heck it might be one of dem newfangled e-books.

I'd find some seasoned six-man coaches and get ideas. Get film (some of those wise guys are usually really good at sharing films, start with Mike Reed, Vance Jones, Terry Crawford, Brice Helton, ... and there are lots more names to mention) and spend some time watching them. UIL sells the championship films from the last couple years on their website, I think each year's games are something like $25 with shipping.

An old friend of mine once told me that six man coaches will share everything they know with you ... 11 man coaches will hold back a little snippet or two that makes their system run.

Go to clinics (more than one) ... might be too late to head to Jerry's in Richland Springs this Friday and Saturday ... oops, I think it moved to San Saba this year, but there are clinics coming up in Houston and here in Seguin. (SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT!: info on ours at http://www.sixmanclinic.com , includes info on past clinic DVD's)

Get your team in a couple multiple team scrimmages ... will give you a chance to play your guys and watch other teams in action. Blocking and tackling are kinda important here, too. You probably know a little about that part of the game. Also, a kicker is like gold. If you can develop one with a decent leg who can boom the kickoff into the end zone, you are in a good place (Placekicking is a bit harder ... think 6 after 4 as opposed to 11 after 9 and angles).

PS ... Clyde Parham from Sterling City was here at our clinic last year; went through his system which runs off a few base plays ... see shameless plug alert above.

Back