New alignments for 2014. Question?

In a school of 72 kids in high school, you figure approximately half of those being boys, in a school with a real football tradition, I would expect to see 30 kids on the team. When I played for Gordon in the early 90s, there might be 2 boys in all of high school that did not play, and our numbers at that time were around 50 in high school, small enough for DII, but we still fielded teams of 20 to 24, plenty for JV and 3rd string even. You cant knock a school for the number of kids it puts on the field. I imagine there are plenty of basketball heavy schools, who just are never competitive in football, who may have 40 to 45 boys in high school, but may only have 12 kids playing.

Move the top number to 105 and the bottom number to 60. Any schools between 105 and 60 play 8man, all below 60 play 6man.

3 of the 5 schools in our district carried over 30 players his year, we dont even have close to 30 guys in HS......

Gordon played 1 half of a game as 8 man in 98, against Powers, Oregon. First half was 6 man, Did not go real well, lost 13-12 to start the season.

There's a rumor floating around the TAPPS side of the aisle that the two prison schools, Gainesville State and Giddings State, have been having problems getting enough kids eligible for 11 man ball and they may fall low enough to play 6 man in this or the next realignment.

Six-Man Football is, quintessentially, a Texas sport - even though we didn't invent the game. Eight-man smacks of Nebraska and/or Colorado.

We own the game. There is no need to add players to the Perfect Game.

Isn't 6Man the one division that should really never move their number up to accommodate schools that just cant cut it in 11 man? Sounds to me like 6man is not the problem... it is the divisions in 11 man. 6 man is created for teams that couldnt field an 11man team. It just seems like this is getting away from the spirit of the game when you allow teams with over 100 students be a part of 6man. I know, I know... I am sure this will cause the discussion of the number of kids that come out and all, and how there could be 90 girls in high school and only 10 boys.... but that is an anomaly... I am speaking to the great majority of schools that have 100 students that SHOULD be able to field an 11 man team. (which I would venture to say is mostly ALL of them)
So, the question is...... what should be the ultimate cut off for schools in 6man? 100?? 150??? 200??? (personally, Id like to see it back in the 80s) To me, it is a number that should not increase just because someone is getting their tail whooped in 11-man. This isn't the reason the game was created. I contend that if this continues, soon you will see not only Varsity and JV teams, but also Freshman teams competing at the 6man level. Was this game for those that could field 2, 3, or 4 teams of 10-15 athletes?? To me, that is just not keeping with the spirit of the game. But I am just an old, idealist and traditionalist. I love this game for what it is, and for what it is intended.

I remember from a post earlier in the season that Garden City this year fielded a freshman, JV and varsity team. Its the first time I had even heard of a freshman team around my parts. I may be mistaking but I'm pretty sure that's what I remember

I was perusing the Bronte Enterprise in the Archive, and well into the late 60's they never had more than 85-90 kids in high school. In the 1950's they averaged about 75 or so. There were years the football team had only 15-18 boys playing and only 11-12 by the end of the season.

He played as a freshman at White Deer. His older brother was their All-State QB. They beat us (Rankin) out in the quarterfinals, then they went on to win the state championship against Flatonia.

Zach ended up graduating from Pampa. My brother-in-law said that Zach lit him up in that White Deer game. Zach played OL/DL, was moved to LB in Pampa.

From what I could tell the cut off in 1954 was 105.

In one of the earliest publications Stephen Epler said that six-man football was for schools with 100 students or less in high school. In 1939 there were schools playing six-man that were large schools, Phoenix, AZ HS had both and 11-man team and a six-man team.

A few six-man teams in 1939:

Phoenix HS, Arizona - over 1800 boys - had both a six-man team that played interscholasticly as well as an 11-man team

Lauderdale Co. High School, Rogersville, Alabama - 195 boys in high school

Winooski HS, Winooski, Vermont - 150 boys in HS

New York City had schools fielding six-man teams

these are just a few examples...and the stats given were JUST BOYS in HS not total students

coachjdjones":wziodp7r said:
He played as a freshman at White Deer. His older brother was their All-State QB. They beat us (Rankin) out in the quarterfinals, then they went on to win the state championship against Flatonia.

Zach ended up graduating from Pampa. My brother-in-law said that Zach lit him up in that White Deer game. Zach played OL/DL, was moved to LB in Pampa.

My sis-in-law was Zach's "math tutor" at Pampa high school.

coachjdjones":1qeq0de2 said:

Yeah, GC and Rankin gave White Deer the tightest games they had all season. I think either one of them would ahve won state that eyar if they had gotten by the Bucks. The GC-White Deer game in Lubbock was one of the best football games I ever watched.

Back