New alignments for 2014. Question?

WV Backer":1vy1bmnv said:
rainjacktx":1vy1bmnv said:
There are 3-4 teams in that 100-110 list that will go Tazmanian Devil on 6-man football and utterly destroy what we consider normal should they ever drop down.

Oh come on rainjacktx, they said that about Throckmorton and look what happened... um, well I mean, uh... nevermind.

Seriously though, I remember Wink used to have some pretty good football teams as well as Munday and the others mentioned. Here the past few years they've been mediocre but they might be a not-so-welcome addition to the Rankin, Marfa, Garden City, Ft. Davis, Grady crowd. Not to mention the Division 2 teams in the area like Grandfalls-Royalty, Sierra Blanca, Imperial-Buena Vista, Dell City, Sanderson, Balmorhea, etc.

Bring on those Wldcats from Wink would be a good addition to 6-man in west Texas It would provide another school that has been a rival for years and would not have to travel so far to play.

The cutoff for 6-man and the "New" class A will be 104.9 in 2014. Schools will have to be under that number to play 6-man football. If they want to play eleven-man they will have to play up a class to the "New" Class AA. There are only about six new schools that could play sixman with this new cutoff number. I am thinking the UIL will raise the numbers about 5% in Class AA (old A) and Class AAA (old AA) also and lower the cut off numbers in Class 5A (old 4A) and Class 6A (old 5A) 5%this should move more teams to the current 3A New 4A. Is it clear as mud now????

A couple of things:

The UlL told me you can only count 9-12 unless you have already played sixman. After you have played sixman, there are four or five different ways to count. I think they want schools to stay sixman when they decide to play sixman.

Wink's enrollment is now 120. My brother coaches there, and they have had lots of move-ins. It would also be an expensive move for them, they just put turf in this summer. But, a jumbo torn on a sixman field would look cool. He also said Munday (who beat them out of the playoffs last week) could probably win state in 1a, 2a, and probably make a run in the 3a playoffs.

Hey lonestarbulldog you hated to see the number go to 99.9, being an old fart I hated to see it move from 72. When we played 6 and 8 man the system seemed really good. I know I am a majority of 1, maybe 2, would love to see the reserection of 8man again so us 6man shools like you played for could get back to playing gut busting, leg killing both way 6 man football. Played 7 most games 8 some games but like you said, when you play teams with more kids on the sideline as you have in the whole high school, seems to me there is a better system, Let 6 man schools play 6 and the 75 to 110 play 8. Won't ever happen but it would be the best way to go. At least in this old farts opinion. However if Don thinks this is the way to go it must be, because there is noone more knowledgeable on 6 man than Mr. Hardin

MTBar":16vch6n1 said:
Hey lonestarbulldog you hated to see the number go to 99.9, being an old fart I hated to see it move from 72. When we played 6 and 8 man the system seemed really good. I know I am a majority of 1, maybe 2, would love to see the reserection of 8man again so us 6man shools like you played for could get back to playing gut busting, leg killing both way 6 man football. Played 7 most games 8 some games but like you said, when you play teams with more kids on the sideline as you have in the whole high school, seems to me there is a better system, Let 6 man schools play 6 and the 75 to 110 play 8. Won't ever happen but it would be the best way to go. At least in this old farts opinion. However if Don thinks this is the way to go it must be, because there is noone more knowledgeable on 6 man than Mr. Hardin

th_thYES.gif

8 man....
goodsigh.gif

Maybe I missed it but if the sixman number moves up to 104.5, will the DII number move up also? Also Tioga will probably enter UIL as sixman in 2014. Our JV played them twice and they have some good kids.

The dII number will move so that roughly half af six man is in dI and half are in dII. The number was 48.5 two years ago, 53.5 now.

rainjacktx":3jhqvhzo said:
oneday":3jhqvhzo said:
I would love to see Roscoe in six-man...Roscoe v Highland instant classic!

Roby I am not sure would do as well as you think...

Union-Hill is my lock bet to make the move in 2014...

If all the schools in the Rocksprings, Nuecus Canyon, Leakey, Knippa area would sit down and decide to play six-man, that would be a nice district and force out the power house D'Hanis and Sabinal...then I wonder what D'Hanis would do?

It's just kinda sad to see the slow creeping death of Rural Texas towns. The schools that might drop down will replace some schools that might cease to exist.

Man I hate this also. It's ironic that the population of Texas continues to grow but we also continue to lose the little schools. It just kills a lot of these towns when the schools close

kbjoe1":22pae47d said:
what kind of numbers is water valley going to turn in this year the rumors were you'll turned in 98 last time but didnt count some kids from a local girls home numbers which would 103. im sure all bs but is what i heard that it would be better to ask forgiveness than permission...

kbjoe1,
I don't have a clue about what the number will be but I just hope we're able to stay sixman. I'm not affiliated with the school in any way and don't have any inside information but I think I speak for quite a few WV folks when I say we love the sixman game and would just as soon stay where we are. We were 11 man for a while in the 80's and 90's and pretty much stunk up the joint so I doubt that there is a big push to go there again. Sixman football is the bomb-diggity and we're glad to be a part of it!

WV Backer":3u8ca0az said:
kbjoe1":3u8ca0az said:
what kind of numbers is water valley going to turn in this year the rumors were you'll turned in 98 last time but didnt count some kids from a local girls home numbers which would 103. im sure all bs but is what i heard that it would be better to ask forgiveness than permission...

kbjoe1,
I don't have a clue about what the number will be but I just hope we're able to stay sixman. I'm not affiliated with the school in any way and don't have any inside information but I think I speak for quite a few WV folks when I say we love the sixman game and would just as soon stay where we are. We were 11 man for a while in the 80's and 90's and pretty much stunk up the joint so I doubt that there is a big push to go there again. Sixman football is the bomb-diggity and we're glad to be a part of it!

WV,
you'll have had some real good teams and you'll have hired some great coaches. the school has embraced 6-man in a big way it just seems so hard on schools that are on the bubble in and out of ,,, and the d1 and d2 bubble thats where we are. we were in the 40's before and after the count but somehow were at 54 at the time. i was very surprised at you'll last game and heard some things but that no one was going to make any excuses. well good luck in the future ... look forward in competing with you'll in powerlifting and track.... oh i dont follow that round ball much ...hahaha

kb joe

Old Bearkat":1m474cit said:
MTBar":1m474cit said:

th_thYES.gif

8 man....
goodsigh.gif
QUICK!!
Someone buy the domain name eightman.com

SavoyFan":5pqcwtmx said:
rainjacktx":5pqcwtmx said:
oneday":5pqcwtmx said:
I would love to see Roscoe in six-man...Roscoe v Highland instant classic!

Roby I am not sure would do as well as you think...

Union-Hill is my lock bet to make the move in 2014...

If all the schools in the Rocksprings, Nuecus Canyon, Leakey, Knippa area would sit down and decide to play six-man, that would be a nice district and force out the power house D'Hanis and Sabinal...then I wonder what D'Hanis would do?

It's just kinda sad to see the slow creeping death of Rural Texas towns. The schools that might drop down will replace some schools that might cease to exist.

Man I hate this also. It's ironic that the population of Texas continues to grow but we also continue to lose the little schools. It just kills a lot of these towns when the schools close
I think it's just the opposite.
I too hate what is happening. But the era of Big Box stores and "We'll beat anyone's price" pulls business away from the small town folks. Eventually they close up and move away. Less industry = less opportunity. Less opportunity = barely there schools. Sad sad fact.

MTBar":29akkhc1 said:

I am with you I think 72 would be a good number and not sure it should have ever went up. If your canceling games because you dont have enough to play then moving to sixman would be good but still dont like the idea of non competitive status with numbers and moving down to become competitive. But i am one man and that does not mean thats the only way it should be.

I dont know about 8 man. It would not be as great as 6man for sure. Watched Throck-Rankin game last night and Throckmorton has 26 on the roll. Good ball club with excellent coaching, but with 26 bodies to to play and practice with non should expect less. I just cant see where a team can constantly field over 15 is in sixman but they are and they are a great team. Haveing 4 teams of people on your squad helps tons when your coaching and when your playing. I am sure like me, the best practices you could come by was 4v4.

Back in the 50's before 8 man came in, the enrollment limit for 6 man was at 100. Most 6 man schools maxed out in the 50-60 range, the rest of the small schools played 11 man.

Back