New alignments for 2014. Question?

SavoyFan

11-man fan
Just curious. If sixman schools 99.9 & under will all now be the cutoff for 1a, will that not leave a very small group of 1a eleven man schools?

From the UIL Athletic Plan defined online...

c) SIX-MAN FOOTBALL. Schools may choose to participate in six-man football with an enrollment of 99.9 or below. If
enrollment in grades 9-12 is greater than 99.9, and the school is currently playing six-man football, it may continue to
participate if any one of these three conditions exist: Enrollment of 99.9 or below in grades 7, 8, 9 and 10, or grades 8, 9,
10 and 11, or grades 9 and 10 doubled. The pertinent figures that total 99.9 or below shall be submitted with
reclassification and realignment figures.

As you are you new to six-man foobtall I understand the confusion, but the current enrollment cut off is already 99.9, though just because a school's high school enrollment is below 100, that does not mean they HAVE TO play six-man, it only allows a school to submit to the UIL for approval to play.

Now from what I hear that number may very well change in 2014 to a higher number when they create the new classification system...

someone (a coach who is in the know) esle can give more insight on this...but correct me if I am wrong but this is kind of what the new classifications will be:

1A (formerly 6man) cut-off around 110
2A (formerly 1A)
3A (2A)
4A (3A)
5A (4A and some 5As)
6A (super 5As)

and the classification you are in you have to compete in all sports in that classification so for example: If Bronte , at 99, wanted to compete in class 1A basketball and track they would have to play 6man football or none at all.

Can someone tell me if I am right about this???

To answer your question, there will not be a 1A classification for 11 man. If they choose to play 11 man, it will be in a 2A district.

my understanding is that the classifications you've posted are correct oneday, with the following exceptions:

104.5 will be the new cut-off number

a school can be 2A in football & remain 1A for basketball & Spring Meet (track alignment will fall into Spring Meet once again) if their enrollment places them in 1A

the goal for classes 2A-5A is to have an equal number of teams in each classification

Thanks Coach Shelton and Hornkeeper. I think that answers my question. I read somewhere after I posted this that there are only 13 eleven man schools left with enrollment under 100.

And there are others that don't play footabll at all...but...

If you go by what is in Dave Campbell's it is 13 under 100 and 1 right at 100:

Bronte
Menard
Gorman
Cross Plains
Roby
Roscoe
Baird
Frost
Union-Hill
Burkeville
Runge -100
D'hanis
Rocksprings
Leakey

But remember there are several ways to add the numbers to get what you want, I am willing to bet that there are a few others that could have turned in under 100 if they crunched the numbers a different way.

There are 14 teams between 110-100

Springlake-Earth - 101
Nueces Canyon - 102
Wink - 102
Smyer - 103
Booker - 104
Shamrock - 105
Medina - 106
Munday - 106
Burton - 108
White Deer - 106
Crosbyton - 107.5
Morton - 108
Agua Dulce - 109
Iraan - 109.5

There are 3-4 teams in that 100-110 list that will go Tazmanian Devil on 6-man football and utterly destroy what we consider normal should they ever drop down.

Munday - obviously.

Springlake-Earth has some Nazerethesque qualities to them.

Booker is a playoff team this season.

Crosbyton has made some playoff noise before.

Smyer - maybe not for football, but would do to 1A DII girls basketball what Munday would likely do to football.

I see Roby and Roscoe on the 100 or below list. They have had some pretty good football football teams.

But mainly, it was Munday and Springlake that would totally screw up the balance of both brackets, assuming Munday would be put in the east.

I would love to see Roscoe in six-man...Roscoe v Highland instant classic!

Roby I am not sure would do as well as you think...

Union-Hill is my lock bet to make the move in 2014...

If all the schools in the Rocksprings, Nuecus Canyon, Leakey, Knippa area would sit down and decide to play six-man, that would be a nice district and force out the power house D'Hanis and Sabinal...then I wonder what D'Hanis would do?

oneday":1dyyn6la said:

If all the schools in the Rocksprings, Nuecus Canyon, Leakey, Knippa area would sit down and decide to play six-man, that would be a nice district and force out the power house D'Hanis and Sabinal...then I wonder what D'Hanis would do?

It's just kinda sad to see the slow creeping death of Rural Texas towns. The schools that might drop down will replace some schools that might cease to exist.

rainjacktx":2h7ock4g said:
There are 3-4 teams in that 100-110 list that will go Tazmanian Devil on 6-man football and utterly destroy what we consider normal should they ever drop down.

Oh come on rainjacktx, they said that about Throckmorton and look what happened... um, well I mean, uh... nevermind.

Seriously though, I remember Wink used to have some pretty good football teams as well as Munday and the others mentioned. Here the past few years they've been mediocre but they might be a not-so-welcome addition to the Rankin, Marfa, Garden City, Ft. Davis, Grady crowd. Not to mention the Division 2 teams in the area like Grandfalls-Royalty, Sierra Blanca, Imperial-Buena Vista, Dell City, Sanderson, Balmorhea, etc.

oneday":3nro0yuu said:

I have spoken to the supes of these schools several times. Leaky and Rocksprings have considered the move, Nueces Canyon isn't ready to even consider it. Knippa is worried about start-up and travel costs. D'Hanis won't even discuss it.

WV Backer":3ojai73p said:
rainjacktx":3ojai73p said:

Oh come on rainjacktx, they said that about Throckmorton and look what happened... um, well I mean, uh... nevermind.

Seriously though, I remember Wink used to have some pretty good football teams as well as Munday and the others mentioned. Here the past few years they've been mediocre but they might be a not-so-welcome addition to the Rankin, Marfa, Garden City, Ft. Davis, Grady crowd. Not to mention the Division 2 teams in the area like Grandfalls-Royalty, Sierra Blanca, Imperial-Buena Vista, Dell City, Sanderson, Balmorhea, etc.

what kind of numbers is water valley going to turn in this year the rumors were you'll turned in 98 last time but didnt count some kids from a local girls home numbers which would 103. im sure all bs but is what i heard that it would be better to ask forgiveness than permission...

I was against going up to 99.9 years back when they did. Many teams that move down from 11man was fielding JV teams and I thought it would kill sixman. I am thankful that they split the divisions that i was against too. It has worked out fairly well. When i played and we fielded 8, I hated to play a team that had 22 on the sideline and they just switched out all the people on defense to keep the legs fresh for offense. It happened a lot.

I still get frustrated that sixman teams can field a jv and still have over 10 on the sidelines for the Varsity game. These jvs are allowed to play other varsity teams and gain that experience. I do not believe this is what sixman football should be but that is where we are.

Saying that upping the numbers to 99.9 and allowing the uncompetitive 11 teams come down to sixman has created a higher level of game play. Its like a 1a team getting the choices of a 5a school. Nothing wrong with it but for years sixman was for schools that couldnt field a jv much less more than enough to practice against. I guess this is why the divisions work fairly well. I assume it will will also bring more attention to 6man football because of the hype of 7on7, just get that bystander out of the way and get to playing real football. And now we have huge amounts of schools playing 6man compared to 20 years ago.

I have disliked Richland Springs for years well before their glory now, but I am now a huge fan. They have a very good program within the small division numbers. I would like to see them play more of the newer glory teams more to show that a true sixman school is still powerful. There record is impressive and I think they have a super program going on down there. I wont ever cheer for you coyotes but I respect what yall are doing.

As for the other schools that could come down it would just mean there are more competitors with higher numbers competing against each other. A lot of the old 1a districts are reforming as sixman districts with lots of rivalries coming back with means more excitement for the game. Bringing the number up has brought many more fans to the game and lots more support and I like that.

So all in all if any of the 110 or below schools want to step up and play six man it will be ok and it will not be that they will all become state champions. Throckmorton adjusted well and some other might too. Seeing that Rotan stepped up and did ok, i think it will not be long before Roby with follow suit. I am not sure Roscoe will come along for some time. Roscoe has deep roots in 11man even though the last few years they have been down. I think it would be nice to see some plowboys in 6man and it would be fitting but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

WV Backer":2f4hz2r5 said:
rainjacktx":2f4hz2r5 said:

Bring on those Wldcats from Wink would be a good addition to 6-man in west Texas It would provide another school that has been a rival for years and would not have to travel so far to play.

Back