NCAA D3 Championships

freeagent

Six-man pro
I actually got to do something I hadn't done in something like nearly 40 years ... go watch my college alma mater play a football game ... the Wisconsin-Whitewater Warhawks taking on Mary Hardin Baylor in the NCAA D3 semifinals in Belton on Saturday (12/14); kinda a last minute decision.

First, the new Crusader Stadium is one heck of a nice place. Would be a wonderful playoff location if all those D3 schools weren't so worried about hosting playoff games.

Both teams were undefeated; Whitewater had been out of the playoffs (7-3 year) but had played in the finals the previous 7 years (all against Mt. Union, which won last year and won their semi-final game Saturday by one point).

The Cru jumped up 12-0 midway in the second quarter, with Whitewater scoring (and missing a FG as the first half expired) to cut the lead to 12-7. A TD and FG gave my alma mater the lead 16-12 going into the fourth.

UMHB had a serious drive with less than 4 minutes remaining and dropped a wide open TD pass from the 3 on third and goal. I was really surprised to see UMHB go for the field goal to cut it to 16-15. Whitewater was able to control the ball and seemed to end the game on a punt as the clock went to 0:00. But, on further review, there was 0:01 left and the Cru was able to try a Trinity-multiple lateral play which was unsuccessful.

So, it's back to Salem, VA for the finals. I'm not going, but I kinda expect a blizzard to hit the town that day as usual.

I was following this game. I heard both semis were crazy. Mount Union also survived another insane week, with North Central missing a fg in the snow at the end.

I have too heard that the new stadium is real nice.

Why Salem bids and the NCAA always goes there stinks

granger":39ibwrnr said:
I was following this game. I heard both semis were crazy. Mount Union also survived another insane week, with North Central missing a fg in the snow at the end.

I have too heard that the new stadium is real nice.

Why Salem bids and the NCAA always goes there stinks

I thought you were busy yesterday afternoon ...

A fellow 6man alum participated in that game. The starting cornerback for UMHB is from Milford, Derek Williamson number 7. It was a bad day all around for the town of Milford yesterday :-(

mrtriple21":16pt3wxo said:
A fellow 6man alum participated in that game. The starting cornerback for UMHB is from Milford, Derek Williamson number 7. It was a bad day all around for the town of Milford yesterday :-(

UMHB played a heck of a game and probably should have won. Even the Whitewater fans where I was sitting questioned the call UMHB made for the field goal in the 4th; the UMHB coach was quoted in the Milwaukee paper that he thought he could take the 3 points and get a defensive stop with time still on the clock.

But I think he planned for more than 0:01.

Whitewater is tough, have been for awhile now. I didn't think Mount Union was going to get past my alma mater, Wesley, in the quarters but they squeaked out a 3 point win. I wonder how Whitewater is set for returning players? I know Wesley's QB was a freshman and broke all kinds of school records - I think we'll hear more from him in the next couple of years.

WV Backer":1x9rmmto said:
Whitewater is tough, have been for awhile now. I didn't think Mount Union was going to get past my alma mater, Wesley, in the quarters but they squeaked out a 3 point win. I wonder how Whitewater is set for returning players? I know Wesley's QB was a freshman and broke all kinds of school records - I think we'll hear more from him in the next couple of years.

The folks on tv last night said that they had 47 freshmen and most of the O line were freshmen; the UW-W Coach said that he really thought his team would have a tough time making the D3 playoffs (they missed last year with a 7-3 record), so this team certainly overachieved. Defense was really, really tough ... lots of bending, but not breaking ... really only one MU TD (the first score was due to a Whitewater turnover on the five yard line).

The ol' Alma Mater won the D3 basketball title as well ... and guess where that was?

Yep, Salem, VA. Sounds from this USA Today article that perhaps someone in Salem has compromising pictures of the NCAA D3 bigwigs, 'cause I can't figure why the NCAA plays so much of their championships in a backwater town of 25,000.

Cripes, you may as well play them in Seguin.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/divisio ... -williams/

Back