My first six-man game

GregTepper

11-man fan
Howdy, folks.

My name's Greg; I'm the associate editor of Dave Campbell's Texas Football. First of all, want to tell you guys that I've been a lurker for some time now, and have really enjoyed reading you guys' analysis of the six-man game. I've gleaned a lot of important information from you guys, as I entered the DCTF-sphere largely uneducated about six-man.

That said, at the beginning of the year, I made a promise to attend a six-man game, and that promise will be fulfilled this Saturday in Springtown, for Throckmorton-Abbott. And I still have a ton of questions:

-How long are the games, generally? I know about the 45-point mercy rule, but assuming the game goes the distance, how long is it, generally?
-What, specifically, should I keep my eye out for? I fully expect to not understand things here and there, but is there anything I really need to be able to identify?
-Who's going to win? :)

Thanks in advance, y'all.

With the exception of a few different rules as you saw with the double exchange before a runner can pass the LOS, 15 yards for a first down, and 10 minute quarters everything is essentially the same as 11 man. You will see less 11 man lineman types and alot more cut blocks. Also the scores tend to be a bit higher too. Welcome to the six man world and maybe you can educate some of the crowded field guys when you get accustomed to the game.

Welcome to the site. I just saw my first 6-man game last year and here are some things that got my attention.
First the rule exceptions. (From this site.)
Basic six-man football variations
1. Field is 40x80 yards vs. 50x100
2. 15 yards for a first down
3. All players are eligible receivers
4 . There must be a 'clean exchange' of the football. The quarterback must hand off, pitch or throw the ball before it can cross the line of scrimmage.
5 . Field goal is worth 4pts, kicked PAT is 2pts and a run/pass PAT is 1 pt.
6 . If at any point after halftime, a team leads by 45 points or more, the game is over.
Then, there are a lot of on side kicks and very few punts. Every possession is extremely important.
Finally a game can get out of hand in a hurry when a team gets desperate to make up points. (No punts and short fields).

When a team runs the spread, most of the time the ball will be snapped to an "upback" and then he'll toss the ball back to the spreadback. That gives the spreadback the option to run or pass. If you aren't paying good attention and don't see that, it can get confusing.

Just go to the Concession Stand, order a Frito Pie with PBCP, stand at the fence where some of the more seasoned sixman veteran observers are congregating and you'll get an education real quick........

If the game goes the distance it should take roughly 2 1/2 hours including half time.
If they are not in the spread OFB mentioned it will most likely be a "tight" formation. As a GENERAL rule, spread = more passing, tight = more running.
If you can, get there early, go to the bathroom, get that frito pie. Smokey's right, you can hear and learn a lot by the fence from former players and parents mostly. In your shoes with a 40-50% chance of rain & pretty cool though I'd take my press pass, go to the box early, introduce yourself & tell em your it's your 1st game, some that are not too busy will probably be happy to answer questions if you don't ask too many. Don't blink. It will be faster paced than nearly any 11 man game you've ever seen.
Want to learn more about the game? Peruse a copy of Coach Underwood's book Sixman Football (Amazon).
Better yet, I don't know if your in Austin or Waco but contact former DCTF writer Granger Huntress through this site, buy his lunch, pick his brain. He's da Guru man.

Don't try to learn everything about 6-man in one game, i don't think anyone can. I would suggest you watch the game as if your son was playing. Pick a player and watch him 2/3 plays. Pick another and watch him. Think of it like you have 12 kids playing. From time to time watch the whole field. Most of all just watch a football game. You are going to see some good hits, good blocks, some amazing runs. some posted that the game is fast. He is right, don't blink or you could miss the best hit you will see all year. Hope you have a great time at the game. Next year try making 4-6 games. It is the best game on grass (or turf). One other thing, notice the great sportsmanship displayed by both teams. Usually it is at a very high level.

As the guys mentioned, it's about a 2 1/2 hour game if it goes 40 minutes. The score-fests will go longer; there was one in San Antonio that was 122-120, it took about four hours.

Another key part of the six-man game is the kicking game. If you have a good kicker, you are even farther up than in the 11 man game. Since returning kicks can be a killer (think it this way -- in 11 man, when you line up on a kickoff, each guy is responsible for a 14-foot lane (7 on each side), in 6-man, those lanes go to 20 feet, 10 on each side).

Unless you have a kicker who can consistently bang in into the endzone, you use the onside kick much more often as you would in the 11 man game. You'll see more blocked PATS -- just think, you've got 4 guys trying to keep 6 from getting to the kicker (as opposed to 9 holding off 11, all you need to do is contain the defense).

A team with a solid offense who can score, kick a PAT (2 points) and then put the ball into the endzone on the kickoff is always going to be strong ... because the opponent will always be 8 down and the ball first and 15 at their 20 with the best outcome just breaking even. As opposed to an onside, giving the opponent the ball at their 35 or so and down by just 6.

Defense is judged more on stops than points allowed. As one coach told us once in a clinic, his head coach told the defensive coordinator that his job was to stop the opponent once each quarter. If you could do that, his offense would score every time, and he'd win the game by four touchdowns.

While the game's best teams will probably still be the public school teams in West Texas, the growth in the sport is right now being fueled by the small private schools and home school groups. I expect within the next several years, we will have more private school/home schools playing sixman football than UIL public schools.

John Taddy
private school boards moderator
[email protected]

Back