Most valuable player

That’s a tough question to answer bc the best player may not have the best stats. I see this with my sons team. We play schools where one kid has twice as many yards as our stat leaders, but we have 3-4 kids who are better than that kid and it’s not close. More talent across the board (and 45-ing every opponent) means fewer touches. Does that mean the opponents kid is more valuable? Maybe to his team, but not overall. Personal opinion, but if a kid isn’t on one of the top 5 teams in state, I don’t think they should be considered for MVP. (I really don’t know….is MVP even a real thing at this level or is this hypothetical?)

Or even who people consider the best player. It's all just message board fodder anyway. It's not like some kid is going to have self esteem issues bc we singled out other more talented players on an obscure message board he's probably never even heard of. Also, judging from a lot of posts on here, it seems like there are probably a lot of great players nobody even knows about on here. Six man players don't get a lot of press, so you really have to go looking for the kids who are special.

I'll play, and I'll leave kids from my son's team out of the discussion because of bias even though I feel like a couple of them could easily be included in the discussion. My scope is very limited. These aren't necessarily kids who deserve any sort of POY/MVP honors (Briley might). These are just talented kids who deserve some sort of recognition.

D2: Lanham Briley - QB - Covenant Classical - That kid is a dude. He's got a great arm and knows how to play the position.

D3: Chandler Luedtke - WR - Nazarene Christian - Tall kid with good hands.

D3: Dominic Johnson - RB - Nazarene Christian - Powerful runner.

D3: Camden Logan - RB - Azle Christian - Big kid. Big stats.

I'll play, and I'll leave kids from my son's team out of the discussion because of bias even though I feel like a couple of them could easily be included in the discussion. My scope is very limited. These aren't necessarily kids who deserve any sort of POY/MVP honors (Briley might). These are just talented kids who deserve some sort of recognition.

D2: Lanham Briley - QB - Covenant Classical - That kid is a dude. He's got a great arm and knows how to play the position.

D3: Chandler Luedtke - WR - Nazarene Christian - Tall kid with good hands.

D3: Dominic Johnson - RB - Nazarene Christian - Powerful runner.

D3: Camden Logan - RB - Azle Christian - Big kid. Big stats.
I watched Covenant in summer 6-6 tournament they had a receiver that had some of the best hands I have seen outside of the NFL. He wore 13 for summer the tournament

Was that this last summer? We played them in that tournament but while they were a very good offense across the board, the only player who stood out to me was their QB. He was dropping dimes. If it was summer of '21, you're probably talking about Whit Jewett.

My vote would be Ware or Matlock from Westbrook. Or #15 from Rankin. I haven’t watched May but I’m sure they have a valuable player or two.

I looked at stats and strength of schedule. I think you also have to look at both sides of the ball and what they bring to their team. What I also think is all three of these teams are not one man show.

Medina's Wyatt Boatman is having an incredible year running and passing as an all purpose back.

He will be fun to watch if Medina plays May in the Area Round of the playoffs.

My vote would be Ware or Matlock from Westbrook. Or #15 from Rankin. I haven’t watched May but I’m sure they have a valuable player or two.

I looked at stats and strength of schedule. I think you also have to look at both sides of the ball and what they bring to their team. What I also think is all three of these teams are not one man show.
Your post sounds like best player from best team, which is hard to argue. My question about Ware is he appears to have missed the last two game and his team keeps rolling. Is he injured? Ineligible? ('tis the season...)

There are so many variables. I don't know how anyone could determine who the best player is. Not everyone posts stats and even fewer have video available. (I wish everyone would bc I love seeing what other kids across the state are doing.) I've seen a kid put up huge numbers against creampuffs, but then gets shut down by a decent defense. Does losing when not playing well (or not playing at all) mean that kid is more or less valuable? My son is a better football player this year than last, but he's got more help this year and because we 45 most of our opponents, his numbers are down from last season. We won a game by 50 points where we had 100 yards of total offense. The stats wouldn't indicate that we did anything special that night. I really think the only way a kid will get individual recognition is if his team advances deep into the playoffs. Last year, the 1st team all state team in our division was basically the starting lineups from the two finalists.

Your post sounds like best player from best team, which is hard to argue. My question about Ware is he appears to have missed the last two game and his team keeps rolling. Is he injured? Ineligible? ('tis the season...)

There are so many variables. I don't know how anyone could determine who the best player is. Not everyone posts stats and even fewer have video available. (I wish everyone would bc I love seeing what other kids across the state are doing.) I've seen a kid put up huge numbers against creampuffs, but then gets shut down by a decent defense. Does losing when not playing well (or not playing at all) mean that kid is more or less valuable? My son is a better football player this year than last, but he's got more help this year and because we 45 most of our opponents, his numbers are down from last season. We won a game by 50 points where we had 100 yards of total offense. The stats wouldn't indicate that we did anything special that night. I really think the only way a kid will get individual recognition is if his team advances deep into the playoffs. Last year, the 1st team all state team in our division was basically the starting lineups from the two finalists.
Ware is coming off a minor injury and will be back next or the following week. (Not season ending). Yes his team is still rolling. But that is a testament to the depth of the program.

Cedric Ware: 903 yds, 22 td rushing; 12 rec, 177 yds, 3 TD; 38 tkl (stats according to Big Country blitz) keep in mind this is in 4 1/2 games (he didn’t play much in the Garden City game)

903 yards rushing against (happy, Jonesboro, Rankin, Spur and GC) (180.6) that’s pretty impressive in my books. 22 touchdowns in 5 games (4.4 average), 177 receiving yards (35 average)

The reason I said May and Rankin. They also had a tough preseason. Not sure on their kids stats but they would be hard earned stats for sure.

Stats against weak opponents are null. I take into consideration the strength of schedule.

Back