Midnight Madness

No. Personally not a fan. IMO you are throwing kids sleep patterns off, and leaving them open to injuries. I believe it works as a gimmick to get parent and community support. Just my opinion, but in TAPPS we get to start with pads on Thursday no there is not a real need.

One of the local 3A UIL schools has a "Midnight Madness" intrasquad practice/scrimmage every year (in fact, I think they had it this past Friday night).

Great opportunity for parents and fans to see the kids and build interest in the season.

But they do it at 8 pm. Like my buddy Coach Bear says, a 12:01 am practice really brings up a whole bunch of logistical/sleep issues.

Valley has done it for 13 years I think.... (seems its worked out ok for them)

I think Jayton & Happy did it this year too.

Midnight Madness this year at Rule:

No gimmicke here, as I could count the number of parents/fans in the stands on all ten digits. In this case, not a big deal, what did we see? what did the kids accomplish?

I saw a football field in the dark, lit up by Friday night lights, and heard faint electrical humm courseing through the air. I smelled fresh cut grass an felt a faintly cool breeze on occasion brush past me. I enjoyed a late night icy cold Dr. Pepper from the all night Allsups. I watched my nine year old daughter mke her first friend in our new town. I met a teacher, a parent, and a booster club member. I did all this watching a group of young men run through seven minute drills. I watched a group of young men leave a field at ten till Midnight
and return in pads, so pumped up they could hardly contain themselves. I watched as coaches encouraged and players tried to execute.

The kids realized hard work can pay off, for our group, this is the first step in building a successful program. I watched young fish realize they could get pancaked, and bounce back. I saw young men give the best they could and take the best someone else served up . I watched a group of young men dead-dog tired yet at the same time find energy and explode with it. I saw boys who waited all week long with anticipation finally get to hit, tackle, and game plan. I saw the beginning of a new Bobcat team.

At the end, the few spectators quietly dispersed, the boys wrapped up practice to head home and get to sleep in late for the first time all week.

I do suspect though, that next year, the stands will have a few more bodies but I am not so concerned about that- what will happen though is a group of returning young men will remember the fun and excitement of those first sweet moments of physical hits under the stars. Those returning boys will it even harder.

Wow,
great perspectives one and all!

They did it out here and I went.
I had asked the girls
if we needed to bump our morning prac. back some?
(they all were going too cuz they're the cheerleaders)
They said heck no
cuz they don't go to bed untill after midnight anyway.
So obviously,
it fell right in line with their sleep patterns.
(I hope your kids don't stay up that late).

We did an intra squad scrimmage Friday night at 8:00 it was a big hit had good crowd show up lots of cheering going on kids enjoyed it too

Edward Golden":1oac795k said:
Dogface

Where are you coaching this year?
The locale of the Bigdog remains a mystery, I'm pretty sure that's classified information unable to be disclosed.

ryry":3tz4sc7v said:
Edward Golden":3tz4sc7v said:
Dogface

Where are you coaching this year?
The locale of the Bigdog remains a mystery, I'm pretty sure that's classified information unable to be disclosed.
Isn't part of the fun
the not knowing?

Muahahahahahahahahahaha..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have midnight madness every year. It's a social gathering for pretty much the entire town. We love Sixman ball

Back