McClean, Milford and Instant Replayi

FCSA football

Six-man fan
I waited to see if someone would bring this discussion up. No one did so here goes. In my opinion, the instant replays saved the credibility and intregrity of this particular game. Without the replays, which showed clearly why the calls HAD to be reversed, todays game could have had a significantly different outcome. Without the reversals, Mr. Momentum could have switched sides and would have definitely had an impact on the game, forever clouding the game and perhaps tarnished a hard won victory.
Congratulations to both teams. Milford should be proud, a lot of teams would gladly claim the title of State Runner Up if they could.
Fire away..........

FCSA football":uh7t20n3 said:
I waited to see if someone would bring this discussion up. No one did so here goes. In my opinion, the instant replays saved the credibility and intregrity of this particular game. Without the replays, which showed clearly why the calls HAD to be reversed, todays game could have had a significantly different outcome. Without the reversals, Mr. Momentum could have switched sides and would have definitely had an impact on the game, forever clouding the game and perhaps tarnished a hard won victory.
Congratulations to both teams. Milford should be proud, a lot of teams would gladly claim the title of State Runner Up if they could.
Fire away..........
You are right. The two big calls on Milford passes originally called completions were overturned and stopped Milford drives. Could have resulted in a different outcome but McLean was relentless.

wths":16896b5x said:
Is this the first year for replay at the state finals?

No. It's been done and shown from different angles on the tv in the sky at least through last year. I think they were doing it when Throckmorton went to JW if I remember right. That camera on a fly rod is amazing. You see it fly down at low level occasionally. Never interfering with view of a play. If you look close you can see the otherwise unnoticeably 3 control cables. Incredible how well it is computer and human controlled. The lure (camera) drops in out of the sky to just above ones site line of it to either an angle from behind the defense or offense then trolls along side the play as it develops then stops to zoom in on the action. All shown crisply and brightly on the tv in the sky, quite an accomplishment with such a big tv. Long way from rabbit ears and a fuzzy fading in and out black and white picture of college or pro games.

Those two replays made me a convert. The technology available at AT&T is worth accepting a less than prime time game schedule. Kudos to Jerrys’ World and the UIL!

I may be the minority here but I do not like it. We play all year with the element of humans making a split second call. Then in the biggest game of the year we use instant replay to determine the outcome of a play. In my opinion, those two reversed plays played a huge part in the outcome of the game. I am not saying that Milford would have won but it would have given them a better chance. I know it is a pilot program but why at the six-man level. We will never use it week to week like the bigger schools will.

coachsteele":2gfvwerl said:
I may be the minority here but I do not like it. We play all year with the element of humans making a split second call. Then in the biggest game of the year we use instant replay to determine the outcome of a play. In my opinion, those two reversed plays played a huge part in the outcome of the game. I am not saying that Milford would have won but it would have given them a better chance. I know it is a pilot program but why at the six-man level. We will never use it week to week like the bigger schools will.
I suppose I am the opposite. The overturned calls were the correct call. It’s the biggest game of the year, we have access to it, let’s get the call correct.

I can see both points but im curious on when/why the choice is made to re-look at a play. If the point is to get a call right and made sure a play was legit, then why not look at long running plays to ensure there wasn’t an unseen hold or a block in the back. Those are just as critical of a play as a long pass that is made or not.

It was the first time to use it.

Personally I thought it was great. They didn't seem to dwell too long on the calls and got them right. The Strawn onside kick recovery was the first one. I originally thought he touched the ball a split second too early, but from the replays you could see he didn't.

My Thoughts
While FCSA is correct the replay used yesterday in the 6man games (both games) all resulted in overturned calls on the field which were correct (only debatable ones were Strawn's onside kick recovery if the ball went 15 yards, I think it did, and Crockett's ballerina act running down the sideline if he stepped out of bounds or not, not sure if he did but I was ok with saying he did), I will disagree and say if there was not replay and the original calls on the field stood it would not have affected the outcome of the game, except maybe give each team an extra possession so Crockett could have had 10 rushing TDs instead of 9. Ya it over turned two long Milford pass plays, I think ultimately it would have just narrowed the final spread by 8 points. Milford had some huge momentum shifting plays all night...but McLean responded with plays that shifted it back every time

McLean won that game by shear force and wore down and wore out Milford. McLean was also pretty wore out by the end, but just had more gas left in the tank in the 4th quarter. Both teams played GREAT, McLean is the clear best team in the state and Milford should hold their heads high! It was obvious to me and many others watching all the players left it all out on the field which is what you want to see in the final game of the season.

I don't mind the use of instant replay in the state games, since the technology is there why not use it, but it is impossible to implement for every game so I understand the "we dont use it all season, why start now" argument

Well, one of those called back my grandsons long catch but it was the right call to overturn it.
My question was on the McLean interception where both players had the ball until the McLean kid rolled over on the ground and pulled it away, why was that not looked at?
If both players had the ball when they came down it should have stayed with the offense.
If you are going to use replay they should look at all the close plays.
On the cricket rd that was called back, I don’t think I saw enough to overturn that one but they did.

Every play is looked at by the replay officials. Just because the game isn’t stopped doesn’t mean it wasn’t reviewed. Certain officials judgement calls such as holding, pass interference and block in the back will never be reviewed. Only calls that are non-judgement are considered. Things like stepping out of bounds, ball hitting the ground on a pass or or recovered a fumble (if it’s determined to be a fumble) and who had possession on a pass. In response to te interception by McLean, if you watch it again you’ll see the McLean player come to the ground first which is what determines who has possession of the ball. So far I think replay has served its purpose correctly and hope it stays this way. I too have mixed feelings about playing 15 games without it and one game with it. One definite thing I like about replay is if targeting is called that is reviewed to determine if it’s a correct call. I’m all for avoiding an unnecessary ejection.

So by that logic, if a receiver has the ball and a defender has just his finger tips on the ball but he falls first it is an interception?
I have watched it many times and both had the ball all the way to the ground.
It should have been looked at, not glanced over.

obagain":2tw0cykl said:
So by that logic, if a receiver has the ball and a defender has just his finger tips on the ball but he falls first it is an interception?
I have watched it many times and both had the ball all the way to the ground.
It should have been looked at, not glanced over.

Finger tips touching the ball does not constitute possession. But on this particular play the defensive player had full possession of the ball when he came to the ground first. And replay did not glance over it. They took a full look at it and confirmed. They did not have to stop the game to make that confirmation.

I don’t understand your comment regarding having coaches make the determination. It’s already been proven that many/most coaches do not know the rules themselves. Especially the complicated rules like simultaneous possession.

I maybe in the small number here as well. I did not like the replay over turning. As mentioned above, it is not part of the game play for 14 games and then in the most important game we are making a dramatic change.

I will be in an even smaller number here. I suspect the replays had almost zero change in the score in this game. I dont think that would be the case in every or even most games. However, Milford runs a huge portion of their offense through Taron, I think most of us would do the same. At points during the game you could see him become fatigued and this made him more one dimensional with the pass and Milford used timeouts. In another thread someone posted that Milford's coach did not run him enough. I bet that coach would like to run him more but understands the number of times that particular athlete can carry the ball before he fatigues and becomes ineffective. What Milford lost in yards on the replays they also gained in the form of a timeout for Taron. My opinion, with or without the replays the game spread remains about the same.

I saw both players with possession until they hi the ground, then McLean pulled the ball away from Milford.

If it is in doubt, why not take a closer look at it?

obagain":162yjxjv said:
I saw both players with possession until they hi the ground, then McLean pulled the ball away from Milford.

If it is in doubt, why not take a closer look at it?

Both players did have possession in the air. The McLean player then touched the ground first. That is specifically the rule that possession belongs to the player who first touches the ground in possession of the ball. They did take a look and replay clearly shows the McLean player with possession first. As an FYI, ALL turnovers and touchdowns are confirmed by replay review. That’s what the two on the field replay staff members are there for. To notify the officials on the field that play can resume.

If that is the rule it is the most rediculous rule in football.
I will have to research it and it true, I will work to get it changed.
In every league I ever played in the ball will be retained by the offense in a simultaneous catch.

Back