May vs. Throck

Longhorn85

Six-man fan
So I am sitting here writing my preview article, discussing the May vs Throckmorton match-up, and I realized, I have not seen one single comment on the boards about this game. I have talked to a few folks in the know around the state, and the general consensus seems to be that May has no shot. Is this what everyone thinks? I just find that hard to believe, seeing as how May was in the State Final last year, and Throck was out in Bi-District, though up against a very good Ira squad. Plus, the Granger's little toy here only has Throck picked by 5.

No shot? Maybe or maybe not. It is an uphill battle playing Throck in Throck. Everyone should know that comes with the territory. But I wouldn't count them out completly.

I don't have any comment on Throck or May for this year because I haven't seen them play but that 2013 Throck team was a very very good team. I don't think that them being eliminated by Ira in bi-district is a good comparison to May being in the state game. Remember Throck lost by 8 points to Crowell and by 9 points to Ira. Ira was up something like 26 points or so on Throck around the second quarter and Throck never gave up and it ended up being a great game. Good luck to both teams.

God Bless.

BTW Longhorn, you do an outstanding job on your previews and I look forward to them every week. Keep on keeping on...

God Bless.

Well thank you ryry, I spend a good bit of time on it and try my best to be unbiased. It's been several years since I did a weekly article, and I really enjoy the chance to do it again. I have to thank Shanon Hunt and LonestarFootball.net for letting me ramble on each week.

Throckmorton and home field advantage? I'm reminded of a time our 11-man team went to play them. Our guys were running a spread and it had lightly rained that day. We arrived to find the field standing in water.

This game has been chosen as the 95.9 The Ranch game of the week. The ranch will be out at the Game and Throckmorton will be in the studio early Friday morning with Justin and Charla on the radio.

Also KFDX 3 (NBC)'s game of the week, which means extensive coverage and highlights on their Friday Night Football show and Sports Sunday on Sunday night.

I was surprised by the spread on this one myself early in the week. Checked the schedules/scores thus far. Didn't comment in part because I've seen neither this year. But I still lean to Throck by a larger margin.
May had a great run last year, first time in several. They lost quite a bit. But they hung with Calvert, won by 20 and 45'd 2 more this year.
Losing to Crowell or Ira the last couple of years by 8 or 9 (if,if,if they'd had 2-3 more minutes? who knows) is nothing to be ashamed of for any team in six-man. New Coach, inherited some good athletes and a great program/tradition. 45'd all 3 opponents, including state champs Stephenville Faith. Good chance they might have done the same in the game cancled by weather.
Would like to see it myself.
I was also surprised by the Ranch 95.9 Game of the Week bit when I heard it on the radio. For those who don't know it's a Fort Worth station that reports from a game a week a few times during the game.
They often cover Aledo, Alvarado, Arlington etc.. Great exposure for six-man.
When I discovered six-man in the 90's after seeing a few Strawn games they were based out of Mineral Wells and covered Strawn and Gordon games often. Living in Justin I could pick them up on my pickup truck radio but not in the house. The truck beat the tv for a couple of hours.

Neither team has impressed me so far. If Throck and Grady would of finished the game the and Throck would of came out on top I would go with the greyhounds but as of now I say the two are evenly matched. But being from the west I will assume Throck is the better team and runs aways with this one 66 to 34.

This is shaping up to be an outstanding game. These two teams seem to really play up to the occasion when they are tested strongly like this. What year was it when this match up went into like 5 overtimes with both teams scoring over 100 points.

I heard on 95.9 the Ranch that we can listen to the game live on The Tucker Brown Show.com. Hopefully this exposure around the Metroplex will help grow the fan base for sixman football. What a great opportunity for our sport.

This will be a good test for May as they get ready for Water Valley next week.

So if I'm listening to the Strawn game on my right tonight and the Throck game on my left and I hear "Greyhound Touchdown!" who scored?

I heard those two guys broadcast the Stephenville Faith vs Throckmorton game last week. They did a really nice job of calling the game, regardless of which team you were rooting for.

Note, Coleyton King is out injured for Throck as is Harry Nowak for Strawn and Abraham Jamarillo. Don't know the type or severity of any of them.

Back