Mascot Stories

As a Red Raider, I’ve got some unfavorable mascot stories. Our horse used to lap the field until an SMU cheerleader didn’t get off the track. Then a few years later, the horse got spooked and ran head first into a wall killing it instantly. The masked rider used to be awesome, but then they started putting women in the saddle who not only don’t look as cool, but also aren’t as proficient riding the horse. The guys used to put the reins in their teeth and run down the field w/ both hands flashing the guns up. Thats not allowed anymore.

I believe Arlington High School was the last school in Texas with a live animal mascot. Little Arlie was a white Shetland pony. I believe the last year the UIL permitted him to be on the sideline was around 1974 or 75.
The story goes as I have been told that when the UIL band live mascots, the schools that had them were allowed to grandfather them until the animal passed away or was retired due to age.
Tom Vandergriff an alum of Arlington High is said to say that Arlie would go into the Genniess Book as the oldest living Shetland.
And he bought a new pony ever 3 to 5 years, until the UIL finally said he had lived long enough and put him out to pasture.

I believe Arlington High School was the last school in Texas with a live animal mascot. Little Arlie was a white Shetland pony. I believe the last year the UIL permitted him to be on the sideline was around 1974 or 75.
The story goes as I have been told that when the UIL band live mascots, the schools that had them were allowed to grandfather them until the animal passed away or was retired due to age.
Tom Vandergriff an alum of Arlington High is said to say that Arlie would go into the Genniess Book as the oldest living Shetland.
And he bought a new pony ever 3 to 5 years, until the UIL finally said he had lived long enough and put him out to pasture.
Funny, as some on here might not know. Tom Vandergriff is the Father of the Texas Rangers.

Back