Mac OSX Maverick Inhales

rainjacktx

Six-man fan
Are there any other dolts on here besides me who upgraded to Maverick? Killed my partitions - which I take the blame for (but as long as I'm ranting...), and now it's hogging ram like a fat man hoarding twinkies.

Win7 is a speed demon compared to whatever this is running on my Mac. It's like as soon as Jobs died, someone at Apple decided to roll out their version of Win8.

I retired from computer work last year and can state unequivocally that I do not miss any part of it. A friend asked me if I would try and get his win8 system on his office network and I agreed to attempt it. After 45 min of total frustration & failure, I told my friend sorry but this is one of the reasons I retired.
I have a much better relationship with my riding mower..............

I built a system earlier this year for a customer, with the caveat that I would do it only if he promised never to put Win8 on it after I installed 7. If he does, he's going to have to call someone else for support.

Funny you mentioned the riding mowers. I bought an el cheapo Troybuilt riding mower a couple of months ago because it finally rained. I had it all of two days before the deck belt snapped. While waiting for the replacement belt to come in, I was using a push mower and some how, in some freakish turn of events, the push mower got in a fight with the riding mower and destroyed the front left tire.

The belt finally showed up, but with a terminal flat on the front left, the belt is no good to me any more. So, I declared my yard a wetlands, and it is now a federal crime to mow it.

Works for me...... I had a 50" cub cadet that I thought was fine until a few minor things started going wrong. Bought a 54" BadBoy and it is all the difference in the world.
Cut my mowing time in half plus it has solid rubber on the front tires so no flats to worry about.

rainjacktx":sitzxz6h said:
Are there any other dolts on here besides me who upgraded to Maverick? Killed my partitions - which I take the blame for (but as long as I'm ranting...), and now it's hogging ram like a fat man hoarding twinkies.

Win7 is a speed demon compared to whatever this is running on my Mac. It's like as soon as Jobs died, someone at Apple decided to roll out their version of Win8.

SO Apple decided to "catch up" with Microsoft?

Microsoft started trying to dumb it down and in doing so made it even more difficult for people who actually work on their systems to accomplish what they are used to doing......... Microsoft is gearing more and more to gamers.

I have had no issues with it. I bought the cheapest MB Pro about 20 months ago, then threw a solid state drive and 16GB RAM in it myself. I run the thing with all sorts of statistical software, including some that only comes in the PC world, so I run it using VMWare. No issues.

On a side note, my MIL called me on the 4th and said that somehow her computer was locked up 'probably due to some virus... but I didn't click on anything...' Two hours later, I had the damn thing restored. Somehow she had also disabled System Restore, so what should've been easy took a bit longer.

smokeyjoe53":1781yru3 said:
Microsoft started trying to dumb it down and in doing so made it even more difficult for people who actually work on their systems to accomplish what they are used to doing......... Microsoft is gearing more and more to gamers.

Am I totally in left field, or did MS not go to a Linux kernel? I have no problem with them gearing their stuff towards gamers. There is not a console on the planet that can play games on the level that my little ultimate gaming machine can play them.

granger":3mch4ckz said:
I have had no issues with it. I bought the cheapest MB Pro about 20 months ago, then threw a solid state drive and 16GB RAM in it myself. I run the thing with all sorts of statistical software, including some that only comes in the PC world, so I run it using VMWare. No issues.

On a side note, my MIL called me on the 4th and said that somehow her computer was locked up 'probably due to some virus... but I didn't click on anything...' Two hours later, I had the damn thing restored. Somehow she had also disabled System Restore, so what should've been easy took a bit longer.

My MB pro is about 5-6 years old. I used parallels to run run an XP partition. On that partition, I had 8 years of accounting data, and untold numbers of excel files. I upgraded, and like a total stupid noob, I backed nothing up and blindly clicked 'yes' through the upgrade. All of that is my fault - but still...

And since the upgrade, firefox runs like a turtle. I have been forced to buy QB for Mac, as well as the MS Office suite. Firefox seems to be the biggest problem. It takes forever to load a page. If I wanted to live in 1998, I'd build a time machine.

On the other hand, my gaming pc screams along like it knew it was the winner when I built it.

RJ I don't know what MS is doing nor do I care anymore. I boot up my one and only little laptop once a month to pay bills and use my samsung note3 for daily use.
I dont miss it at all......... happy happy happy....... or fat & dumb... whichever is preferred.
I check the market a few times a day, look at FB, check the forums and that just about covers it. Occasionally I check email but not like I used to.
We just got back from a 10 day road trip with only one real destination. Everything else was just flipping a coin to see what direction to start driving. No reservations, no schedule. It was great.............

smokeyjoe53":1p9mmkg8 said:
RJ I don't know what MS is doing nor do I care anymore. I boot up my one and only little laptop once a month to pay bills and use my samsung note3 for daily use.
I dont miss it at all......... happy happy happy....... or fat & dumb... whichever is preferred.
I check the market a few times a day, look at FB, check the forums and that just about covers it. Occasionally I check email but not like I used to.
We just got back from a 10 day road trip with only one real destination. Everything else was just flipping a coin to see what direction to start driving. No reservations, no schedule. It was great.............

97% of my livlihood depends on the internet. I wish I could be as divorced from a functional computer as you are, but that's still a few years away.

rainjacktx":1ghmspjk said:
smokeyjoe53":1ghmspjk said:

97% of my livlihood depends on the internet. I wish I could be as divorced from a functional computer as you are, but that's still a few years away.

99% of my work is done on a computer. Engineering has changed dramatically since I started in the game in 1979. We are so dependent upon computers to do our work I shudder to think of having to go back to how it was done in the stone ages of the early 80's.

Back