Local info helpful for Officials

Also, I forgot this... have your chain crews, clock operator available and ready to meet with the officials before the game. Spend a little time with these folks so they know their role in the game (for example, your chain crew needs to temper their enthusiasm for the home team, especially since they will probably be on the opponent sidelines). If they're new (esp. the clock operator), let the refs know that so they can watch that a bit closer.

I would have water for the officials without asking. They need it as much as the players. Everything else mentioned by lifegate is spot on. I do know umpires seem to appreciate the snacks though.

Old Bearkat":tiqftw2z said:
High Plains Drifter":tiqftw2z said:
I resemble #8

I thought you used one of those electric scooters still?

Yeah we're still filling in the ruts he left while calling games last year.

Best crew we had left their seeing eye dogs behind the endzone. Refs were late for the second half and the dogs took over. By the end of the season, the dogs were the highest rated crew in the chapter (but you had to keep a towel on the field, there'd be a lot of dog slobber on the ball when they set it at the line). 'Course, if you argued their call, they'd growl at you.

Wait a minute, so did the human crew that night.

lifegatesports":17hiewh7 said:
Old Bearkat":17hiewh7 said:
(but you had to keep a towel on the field, there'd be a lot of dog slobber on the ball when they set it at the line).

Last night we were at #2 son's baseball game and our dog went after and retrieved a foul ball and then brought it back to the ump. He slobbered it really good and the ump laughed and accused us of throwing spitballs.......

CowboyP":1n1gzd98 said:
It's getting harder to not get involved in this newest hijacking!

Sam-Mudflaps-1.jpg

lifegatesports":1xkgbfyy said:
Also, I forgot this... have your chain crews, clock operator available and ready to meet with the officials before the game. Spend a little time with these folks so they know their role in the game (for example, your chain crew needs to temper their enthusiasm for the home team, especially since they will probably be on the opponent sidelines). If they're new (esp. the clock operator), let the refs know that so they can watch that a bit closer.
As a clock keeper, I find that having a quick discussion with the refs helps. I usually let them know that I will start and stop the clock on them, not my opinion of the situations, regardless of how confused they are. I also like to get the name of the head ref so that when all of them folks from down the road accuse me of cheating, I can refer them to the proper culprit.

Our group of 4 spectators that attend games make it a point to say thanks and good game to the refs when possible. More often we see bad called games , but still say thanks. We know they appreciate the comment. The really bad refs usually do make a fast exit or ignore people if not capable of exiting fast.

Back