Leman's Record Book

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Here for your consideration is what I have determined are the top-5 record holders for 6-man football in the state of Texas. This has been a long process with many twists and turns, corrections and additions.

I have cross checked, double checked, triple checked and annoyed many current and former coaches and players in trying to collect stats just for this purpose. This is by no means complete. I have also done my best to annotate things that might be incomplete or when there are discrepancies which make it hard to determine without a doubt what the “correct” stat is.

This list is 100% fluid and can change daily depending on what submissions, discoveries and research yield. This top-5 is just a snippet of what I have collected as my master lists are very long, but as you might be able to tell some categories have significantly more submissions than others.

For example, career stats might be the hardest to determine because freshman year stats are hard to recover from coaches and often weren’t reported at all. All stats are varsity only.

It is possible that I have missed adding in some stats/records that have been sent to me in the past and if so please let me know and I will update things. If you have any stats or tips to pass on to me…PLEASE do so!

While the #1 spots have been published before (recognized by Dave Campbell’s Magazine and the UIL as the record-holders), this is the first time ever the top 5s have been published

NOTE (4/18/20) -- Leman is working on some updates and this will be down for a bit and the topic will be locked.

This list is 100% fluid and can change daily depending on what submissions, discoveries and research yield

Perfect example...I was sent this one today (by 2 people)...another entry added in!

Longest INT Return:
80 – Joe Avila, Richland Springs, 2011, v Brookesmith

In "Points Scored" I know Dewayne Miles also kicked some extra points however I do not have every Amherst game complete box score from 1995 so that single season record is in reality higher

I attempted to collect "All Purpose Yards" stats but that one is so impossible to collect or even cross check/double check, not to mention I know people mix it up with "Total Yards" so any reporting on All-Purpose yards is questionable...so I have omitted that from what I sent Granger.

I didnt include this category but it is a cool one and one that can no longer be attempted

Longest Blocked PAT Return:
80 – #1 for Amherst, Amherst, 1992 v Whitharral (saw it on film but dont know the guys name)
74 – Kirby Wigington, Gordon, 1990 v Strawn
66 –Andre Anderson, Trinidad, 1990 v Abbott

There are categories I have nothing for that if yall know of anything that falls into them let me know:

Longest Missed FG Return:
Longest Blocked FG Return:
Longest PAT interception Return:
Longest Fumble Return:
Longest Punt:
Most FGs in a season & career
Most PATs in a season & career
Most 100+ yards rushing games in season, career & consecutive

Leman Saunders":ehidd7jd said:
In "Points Scored" I know Dewayne Miles also kicked some extra points however I do not have every Amherst game complete box score from 1995 so that single season record is in reality higher

Part of the reason he had to kick PATs is several teammates got in trouble and missed a few games during the regular season...

This is great stuff gentlemen. Thank you. An interesting read for me at least. Some of this used to be on the old Sixman Coaches site but did not make it to the new one the last time I looked for it a year or better ago.
I've been privileged to see a very few of these guys in action and in turn some outstanding performances. It's a team sport but individual accomplishment deserves recognition.
We passed through Amherst on vacation three weeks ago. I had to bore the wife with what I'd read on here and there about Miles still holding records. If memory serves I think I've read he went on to West Texas A&M where he set a few records that were just broken 3-4 years ago. Maybe something about a NFL practice squad or two?

51eleven -
A thing to know about the coaches association website...and you may have noticed this...some of their season final statistical leaders files have been corrupted so what is up there now is not what was up there for some of the seasons before the change over...luckily I printed out most of the old pages so I was able to see that it happened! I have alerted their webmaster and they are working on fixing things

Hopefully they will get it corrected

Miles was last I heard the career record holder in a few West TX AM rushing categories

I think he tried out with the Detroit Lions if memory serves me

Leman Saunders":14znvhgr said:
Hopefully they will get it corrected

Miles was last I heard the career record holder in a few West TX AM rushing categories

I think he tried out with the Detroit Lions if memory serves me

Was on the Vikings and Packers squads for a brief minute and I believe he played some for an NFL Europe team or was on the squad

Curiosity got to me and googling led me to this.

https://issuu.com/wtathletics/docs/foot ... rd_book/71

If you go to full screen and zoom in you'll see as of 2016 he still holds a couple of records. He played all 4 years from 97-00 with over 1,000 yards all but the first(845). His 4359 rushing yards is still the school record by over 800. 5.7 yards per carry is not the record but still outstanding for a 4 year average. His 55 TD's is still the most for rushing or receiving. His 322 points, including one 2P XP is second all time to a kicker.
While maybe a rare exception, proof that a sixman player can excel at least the DII college level.

I thought about a yards per carry category just never got that one up and running...what would be a good number to set as the minimum?...number of carries or yards gained minimums? Game, season, and career...a lot of parameters for this category

Cristian barineau on maxpreps has around 60 career receiving TDs, but his senior season is separated from his junior and sophomore season

Conner McCellan for Lucas Christian has two games with over 7 passing TDs
9 passing Tds - vs TCA 2015 11/6/15
8 passing Tds - vs Wylie Prep 10/9/15

Back