Lakeview Texas in Hall County Near Memphis Texas?

panhandleref

11-man fan
I had a question and figured if anyone would know it would be someone that was on this site. My grandfather graduated High School from Lakeview, Texas and also played football there. It is a small town west of Memphis, Texas. I was first wondering if they played 6man, 8man, or 11man? Also does anyone know or could tell me where to find out what their mascot was. I have his old letter sweater, and it is Red and has a bid "L" on it. If anyone can help, thank you very much for your time.!!!!!

My father graduated from Lakeview in 1942, and my mom graduated from there in 1946. I didn't realize they payed 6-man, but never discussed it with them. All my family was from that area.

Thank you very much. My family is from there also. I think my grandfather graduated in the early 40s late 30s. He was an onry old cuss and loved football. Just tracking my love of six man back to him! Again thank you.

They never played any 6 man that I could find. 11 man from 1934-1959, then 8 man from 1960-1966. From 1967 until they merged with Memphis they were a basketball only.

I don't know the full story, but when they dropped football, there were no nearby 6 man schools. Probably Benjamin was the nearest. Lakeview might have had enough boys to play 6 man for a while after 1966, but travel costs probably made that a problem.

I think back in the day people just named schools by what was close to them. Like quail maybe someone saw a quail and named it that. By the way quail was a real school close to Wellington.

Keeping where we were from to myself. But can honestly say I the only reason I remember is because they had a giant of a player that looked about 25 lol. Anyways my brother cut blocks/tackles him time after time. Needless to say he got ejected. And he was there only solid player.

Well all I know is that when my grandfather was alive he loved the thought of six man even if he didn't play. He said it looked like how football should look and how he imagined it played in the beginning except without all the passing! I stopped by the Lakeview school and you can still see the remains of a football field on the west side of property.

Back