Kickoff Alingments

Cavman1

Six-man fan
Is there any rule about how many men can be on one side of the ballon a kick-off as there is in 11 man?
Can you line all 5 to one side of the ball?

No requirement. All players except the one who kicks it cannot be further than 5 yards from behind where the ball is kicked when the ready for play is given. One foot touching is considered within 5 yards. Other than that the other 5 players can line on the other side of him.

What about players running in motion before the kick? I thought one of the main reasons of having players stationed at 5 yards back was to "curtail" violent collisions during onside kicks. I have seen a handful of teams doing this, has this ever come up in discussions during trainings, or meetings? The reason I ask is I want to advocate for player safety, and over the past few seasons I see fewer and fewer teams kicking deep, or even attempt anything but an onside kick. As an industry we are preaching player safety and taking violent plays out of the game, and this is by far the most violent play in six man football, second being the holder on a PAT or attempted FG try. I get why teams do it...a chance to get extra possessions, eliminate giving your opponent's best players the ball in open space, etc. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

jnewt208":2xcd4kwa said:
What about players running in motion before the kick? I thought one of the main reasons of having players stationed at 5 yards back was to "curtail" violent collisions during onside kicks. I have seen a handful of teams doing this, has this ever come up in discussions during trainings, or meetings? The reason I ask is I want to advocate for player safety, and over the past few seasons I see fewer and fewer teams kicking deep, or even attempt anything but an onside kick. As an industry we are preaching player safety and taking violent plays out of the game, and this is by far the most violent play in six man football, second being the holder on a PAT or attempted FG try. I get why teams do it...a chance to get extra possessions, eliminate giving your opponent's best players the ball in open space, etc. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

As long as they are not beyond 5 yards when the are running. Inside of 5 yards they can run.

Back