Keene starting football, hires former Blum coach

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Playing 3 years of sixman? They are a 3A school, so three years of outlaw ball. Wow! That kinda feels like a slap in the face. Zero experience in football, so playing sixman will be better for the kids? Do sixman teams not play as physical? I would think a better plan would be playing 3 years of JV ball in 11-man, at least you can get the kids used to the scheme.

This makes zero sense. Play a JV schedule and pick your opponents that fit your situation. Why play 6-man? You are not a 6man school

Agreed, this makes very little sense. The powers that be at Keene should do themselves a favor and reach out to Chad Worrell at Brock. Worrell & the Brock administration should be the blueprint for how to start up and build a successful small-school 11-man program, and at a “basketball school” no less. Playing a few years of 6-man is shortchanging the Keene kids in the long run. Just my 2 cents, for what little it’s worth.

Good afternoon everyone. It's been quite awhile since I've been active on this board, but have loved continuing to follow the world of 6 man since leaving Blum in 2016! Yes, we are in the process of bringing football to Keene and the decision has been made to begin by playing an outlaw 6 man schedule. I can assure you, this was something that was looked at long and hard and I reached out to numerous coaches at both the 6 man and 11 man levels before we made this call. From the outside looking in, I'd completely agree with all comments being made that we should start with an 11 man JV schedule and build from there. Why in the world would a school with 3A numbers choose to do this? Here's a little insight, and I'll also include my personal contact information at the bottom if you have any questions.

Yes, we are a 3A school in terms of number of students. That being said Keene is a town that was built around the Seventh Day Adventist church and has one of the largest SDA Universities in the country. Along with that, the demographic here at Keene is extremely diverse. The majority of our kids come from Brazil, Puerto Rico, Columbia, Mexico, the Marshall Islands, etc... As a result Friday night lights have never been pushed for. The last couple of years we've seen a small increase in demand, and just recently(going back to last Spring) we have noticed a projection of substantial growth coming within the next 5 years. As a result, we knew that football here at Keene was something we needed to offer in the near future to fit the needs/desires of our soon to be population. Before making the decision we met with our students, both athletes and non athletes, to gauge interest. There was more than we've had in the past, but a total of 4 of those students had ever put on pads before. So we knew once we got started a chunk of those would realize football isn't for them and would back out. As a result we didn't feel confident that we'd be able to fill a JV schedule that we trusted we'd be able to honor all season at the 11 man level. With the difficulties COVID presented for everyone this past season, the last thing we wanted to do was leaving team hanging for something we can control. So.....we made the decision to begin with the AMAZING game of 6 man football to generate excitement for our school, community, staff....but more importantly to give a handful of guys the opportunity to play a sport they love while in HS that they'd otherwise miss out on. I'm aware that some, maybe most, will look at the fact that we are a 3A school and would never agree to play, and that's perfectly okay and I understand. And if things progress sooner in terms of growth, either in the community or with the number of student athletes who come out, then we'll make the move to a JV 11 man schedule sooner.
Coach Jones, I do apologize as "a slap in the face" was never my intended motive. I mean it with all sincerity that 6 man is something that I absolutely fell in love with and when I look back at some of my favorite memories as a coach, the majority have to do with this sport. Even after I left, I attended more 6 man games than 11. I guess I was looking at it as a way to share this game to even more of an audience until our numbers grow.
As I mentioned above, I'll leave my contact information if anyone has any questions, is interested in scheduling a game......or wants to offer any feedback directly to me.

Happy to be back on the sidelines,
John McFarlin
Keene ISD-Athletic Director
[email protected]
(817) 933-8041

I actually love the idea and think it is a very smart move and way to start a program from scratch.

I will disagree with ya Jones - I dont see it as a slap in the face but a complement that 6man is a great way to start a program and build off of

Ya they are a little bigger but the learning curve I think helps even out the advantage gained by having more kids on the team...plus #s doesnt always translate to being better (or every state champion would be the one with the highest enrollment). Again the learning curve flattens the advanage (if there is one) of have more kids IMO for sure year one and probably year two...year three maybe you have a point but this is a school building their program so obviously they should and be expected to get better each year...and if you dont like it or thinks it that unfair solution is simple...dont schedule them

It is a good thing and honestly I think big schools should consider having a 6man JV team even if they want...it's a fun sport why discourage it is my philosophy

I didn't intend to discourage sixman, or ruffle feathers. I honestly didn't think of having low numbers. I just assumed 30+ kids would want to play. Totally understandable if less than 20 show up. Best of luck to Keene! I think it's awesome and I think your kids and community will love it. And as someone posted earlier, Brock added football in a very good way. Again, I meant no offense and I apologize if it came across that way.

While I might make a more formal post later, I think, on a slightly different yet related topic, a basketball only school should try to play non-district sixman and see how it goes. Non-district ends about the time a school can start practicing basketball, sixman requires more basketball-like skills than 11-man, and most basketball only schools could stand to be more physical in basketball.

Keene's plan seems like a good way to bridge the gap. I knew about Keene's unique situation, and it sounds like coach has a plan to execute it properly. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Ft. Hannock does/did something similar despite being too big for sixman? Schools played them, even though finding a game west of the Pecos is much harder than the DFW area.

It will be something to keep an eye on next year for sure. I think it will be telling if they play local powerhouses like Milford, Blum, and maybe even Strawn or bottom feeders.

Coach McFarlin definitely has a specific vision for starting up the program & I wish you nothing but the best. I have no doubt the kids will enjoy their time playing 6-man football!

Back