Issues with Tackling Rules

coachsatcher

Six-man fan
Anyone have any confusing feedback from officials on tackling? We ran into something I would love to have clarified. Running back coming through the middle. Linebacker steps into the hole, helmet goes across hips, wraps up both legs, and drives the runner backwards. The RB was probably 185lbs., and the backer is 150. When the backer began driving backwards, the RB's feet came about 12 inches off the ground. He wasn't slammed, or body slammed; just tackled the way we're teaching it. The official came over and said, in the regular season, that will be a penalty. He said you can not intentionally lift a runner off his feet.

I'm curious how this tackle happens, for the undersized defenders? If this backer MUST GO LOW, wrap up, but can't drive, he's just stuck in purgatory. If the runner has the opportunity to pitch the ball, because the defender is waiting for another defender to come clean up, we're at a disadvantage. We can't go high! We have to go low, but we must ensure not to lift the runner?.? Ugh. Anyone?

Others we had called and explained weird:
-blocking low beyond 5 yards from LOS
-Peel back blocks beyond the LOS.

I agree with you coach. Just one of those “judgement calls” that will change depending on the crew working the game I’m guessing.

As far as the cut block beyond five yards, that was a rule change made this year in NCAA, so naturally, TASO followed the change. The peel back block has been in place for a couple of years. If the kid that is hit is behind the ball (at least 5 yards) on the peel back, they’ll flag it. If he is even or in pursuit ahead of the ball carrier, it’s a legal hit as long as its above the waist. (And of course not in the back). That was the explanation I received a couple of years ago from Pecan Valley chapter anyway.

I just don't see how you basically remove the teaching of hitting from the shoulder pads - up, and expect the kids to go low without any lift. Very tough to figure out those fundamentals to teach with any regularity.

As far as the cut blocks, I really believe they lose sight of the line of scrimmage, because our "lineman" are typically not on the LOS. Most line judges leave the LOS and follow the play, so it's very difficult to gauge the cutoff line.

It will clear up throughout the season. I just hate being told to teach one thing, and then there being so much discrepancy on the "judgement" in which it was executed. It's just too subjective, because we're constantly changing the way we teach it, when all the kids are looking for is consistency from the adults.

The blocking below the waist rules did change this year. I won't try to explain it all right here because of the space required but yes, it is illegal for a player on offense to block below the waist in any direction 5 or more yards beyond the line of scrimmage. The "crackback" blocks below the waist are basically the same as last year. The "peel back' blocks below the waist are different and it all depends on if the ball is in the tackle box or outside.

As far as the statement about tackling. I am not sure if there was some communication discrepancies or what. This it was was added to the Roughing the passer rule. "Forcibly driving the passer to the ground and landing on him with action that punishes the player."

Nothing was changed in regards to just tackling a ball carrier.

In Abilene on Friday my linebacker picked a RB slightly off of the ground maybe a foot. The refs said that is a penalty. In 12 years I haven't this type of thing or maybe I have. I am not complaining but just want to know is that a penalty. 15 yard or 5 yard. My kid is 125 and tackling a kid about 145 similar to what Coach Satch mentioned in his original post.

CoachJJ":37d9rd9w said:
In Abilene on Friday my linebacker picked a RB slightly off of the ground maybe a foot. The refs said that is a penalty. In 12 years I haven't seen this type of thing or maybe I have. I am not complaining but just want to know is that a penalty. 15 yard or 5 yard. My kid is 125 and tackling a kid about 145 similar to what Coach Satch mentioned in his original post.

Without seeing the tackles in question, it is impossible to give an accurate ruling, but based on both descriptions I cannot see how a foul would be warranted. If it was somehow a foul it would definitely have to be of the 15 yard variety.

As it was mentioned already, any low block beyond 5 yards of the neutral zone is a foul, period.

These statements sound consistent with the general move towards players wear flags. Heck, sixman games may be more like 150-149 instead of 100-99.

IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH CONSISTENCY OF THE RULE ESPECIALLY IN THE SCRIMMAGES. YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR LOCAL CHAPTER PRESIDENT OR ASSIGNER AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT IS BEING CALLED. BECAUSE 6 MAN IT IS GOING TO BE HARDER TO MAKE THIS CALL BECAUSE OF FORMATIONS. ALSO IN THE PRE GAME MEETING ASK YOUR OFFICIALS HOW THEY ARE GOING TO CALL THIS RULE. THE NEW RULE IS NOT CRYSTAL CLEAR WHEN IT COMES TO 6 MAN FOOTBALL . IF YOUR IN GAME 3 AND YOU HAVE SEEN IT CALLED 3 DIFFERENT WAYS CALL YOUR CHAPTER PRESIDENT SO THIS CAN BE EXPLAINED AND DISCUSSED IN A MEETING . ANY QUESTIONS MAKE SURE YOU DISCUSS THAT IN THE PRE GAME MEETING. I RATHER HAVE A 10 MIN DISCUSSION BEFORE THE GAME THAN DURING THE GAME. WE CAN GET THE ISSUED SOLVED BEFORE THE GAME BUT DURING THE GAME MIGHT BE TOO LATE

Back