Ira - Throckmorton Recap

6manWT

11-man fan
For those who weren't able to attend the Ira vs. Throckmorton game last night, it lived up to to the expectations of being one of the best 6-Man games of the year. Ira jumped out to a quick 24 point lead in the first quarter but much like they did against Crowell a few weeks ago, Throckmorton never showed any sign of throwing in the towel and methodically got their way back into the game in the 2nd quarter. The entire second half was pretty intense as each team traded touchdowns, 4th and short situations, defensive stands and momentum swings until the end of the game. Both teams played a heck of a game and even though Throckmorton won't advance this year, they should be proud of the way they played and kept battling last night. One thing I will say from the game last night is the use of an 11-man field for a 6-Man game. There were a few crucial penalties called for late hits out of bounds and knowing the way both of these teams are coached....they certainly didn't seem intentional. I just think that when the kids are running at full speed, watching the first-down marker, trying to make a tackle, etc. all at the same time...the sideline should be clearly identified as being out of bounds. I know people on here have mentioned it before but I hope we can find some 6-man fields to use going forward, as it seems the 11-man fields just add too many variables these kids aren't used to dealing with. Just my two-cents.

I agree 100%. Maybe get a 5 man officiating crew as well. bad calls both ways. Not blaming the outcome on that but the kids deserve better.

I agree with both one thing that I noticed is that the whistles were not consistent some quick some very slow and those along the sidelines if played on a sixman field might have reduced some unintentional personal foul penalties At the end of the first half I was afraid that the game was about to be played by the coaches and officials instead of the two excellent teams. I was glad I got to see the game
One more comment many seem to get mesmerized by Morris's speed being an old lineman I like how he helped his blockers block for him by darting or floating along till the crease was there

Smokey, Both offenses need the extra blocker in the middle of the field? If both teams are not used to playing around that fifth official, he just tends to get in the way.

6manWT":6pr9tc6h said:
For those who weren't able to attend the Ira vs. Throckmorton game last night, it lived up to to the expectations of being one of the best 6-Man games of the year. Ira jumped out to a quick 24 point lead in the first quarter but much like they did against Crowell a few weeks ago, Throckmorton never showed any sign of throwing in the towel and methodically got their way back into the game in the 2nd quarter. The entire second half was pretty intense as each team traded touchdowns, 4th and short situations, defensive stands and momentum swings until the end of the game. Both teams played a heck of a game and even though Throckmorton won't advance this year, they should be proud of the way they played and kept battling last night. One thing I will say from the game last night is the use of an 11-man field for a 6-Man game. There were a few crucial penalties called for late hits out of bounds and knowing the way both of these teams are coached....they certainly didn't seem intentional. I just think that when the kids are running at full speed, watching the first-down marker, trying to make a tackle, etc. all at the same time...the sideline should be clearly identified as being out of bounds. I know people on here have mentioned it before but I hope we can find some 6-man fields to use going forward, as it seems the 11-man fields just add too many variables these kids aren't used to dealing with. Just my two-cents.

Crowell hasn't played Ira this year?? I heard the Hounds wouldn't go away as mentioned. My Cats were elimated first round last year in a very close game against Ira. I hope they get a chance for a rematch.

As I predicted, 6-Man Game of the year....We will see if any other games involving 2 top 5 teams come out as evenly matched...51-50 with 1:27 to go....Great Game..

WildcatClassOf89":5dkdz6jf said:
6manWT":5dkdz6jf said:

Crowell hasn't played Ira this year?? I heard the Hounds wouldn't go away as mentioned. My Cats were elimated first round last year in a very close game against Ira. I hope they get a chance for a rematch.

If your read it again, he was referring to when Throck and Crowell played and Crowell jumped out early on them and the Hounds never quit.

It was a great game. Both teams played hard and I agree with all that has been said above. I wonder about the last offensive play that Throck ran toward their sideline, that if the game had been on a six-man field, the runner would have not stepped out of bounds about a yard short for a first down. Two great teams and a lot of sportsmanship shown by the kids.

jc_30":3mkcm3s9 said:
WildcatClassOf89":3mkcm3s9 said:
6manWT":3mkcm3s9 said:

If your read it again, he was referring to when Throck and Crowell played and Crowell jumped out early on them and the Hounds never quit.

I figured that was the intent but after reading that sentence 10 times I couldn't make it say what I thought he was trying to convey. Thanks for splaining it to me.

NEVER EVER count Throckmorton out of a contest!! Those kids don't quit!! And as mentioned above as a whole they are some the most well mannered young men I have come across!!

Little Doc":1dtg43a8 said:
It was a great game. Both teams played hard and I agree with all that has been said above. I wonder about the last offensive play that Throck ran toward their sideline, that if the game had been on a six-man field, the runner would have not stepped out of bounds about a yard short for a first down. Two great teams and a lot of sportsmanship shown by the kids.

I'm not sure about this. The sideline he was running toward had the chains (although, the chain-crew dropped his marker). I'm not sure you can blame it on playing on a 11-man field.

HP Drifter":3dundmfm said:
anyone know where the officials were from?

I am not sure but I am hoping that they read up on sixman rules. I am glad this game did not come down to a one point victory. I was in shock when they let the busted kick play continue and did not call the ball dead but instead let the play continue and the holder pitched the ball to the kicker that ran it in for the extra point. Being a fan of the game I was not pulling for either side but a MAJOR goof like this could have really messed the season up for some players and coaches. I thought Coach Reed talked some sense into the ref but after the short talk Ira was still rewarded the 1 point.

To clear this up the ball is called dead when the kick is failed! Check the rules <4-1-3>

Overall a great game but mega mega messy on the Ref side of the game. Its a hard job but please brush up on sixman rules before the game and give respect to the guys playing their heart out on that field on both side.

The kick isn't failed until the foot hits the ball. Wasn't it a bobbled snap, then the holder pitched it back to the kicker who ran it in? There is nothing illegal about that.

Back