Intentional Lane violations

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Did anyone see or hear about the Marist-Fairfield game? The ending has been a major discussion topic on a list I am a part of.

Fairfield had a one point lead with 0.9 seconds left. They were trying to intentionally miss a free throw so that Marist wouldn't really have a chance to heave the ball.

Marist had another idea. They kept intentionally stepping into the lane for so they would have to reshoot... Eventually Fairfield made the free throw so the shenanigans stopped.

Lots of old timers seem to think should have been a T for delay of game or something like that... Most seem to think it was an ingenious use of a rule.

Here was one reply that I thought was keen:

"The best thing a coach can do to avoid a situation like this is to be thoroughly familiar with the rules. Who had the arrow in this situation? If it was the shooting team, all it had to do was wait until the lane violation, and then have the shooter shoot an airball or step over the line while holding the ball. Double violation -- alternating possession. The next coach who tries this might want to take careful note of the arrow."

Confucious says:
Coach who tries to outsmart opponent at risk of outsmarting self.

It always reminds me of something I would do when coaching in a tight game and you are down or tied and need to go the length of the court and you can run the baseline. If they are all over the inbounds guy, you first have him stick the ball out. Many times, the guy will slap it instinctively for the technical. I remember once watching a a guy almost slap it then throw himself on the floor trying not to.... second your man runs the baseline while a teammate is standing to set a screen in his way. The defedner again isn't looking and runs the kid over.

I actually saw Vanderbilt do this in a first round NCAA game about 10 years ago and it worked.

Sounds like a good strategy to use. I thought the response about the arrow was good as well. I have never even thought about the intentional lane violation to make them shoot it. In my opinion though, I would just tell my team to make the free throw anyways. If the team can pull off a miracle shot against good defense, then they deserve it.

I wish I had my rulebook to read about the double violation/arrow comment. I would never have thought of that. My next thought, though, is do the referees know that rule. There have been many double violations (one player on the lane moves another when they realize they lined up wrong) where the refs called a double violation and shot the free throw again. This happened this season with a quality ref who calls lots of juco/DII college games and is kind of a rules junkie. If he didn't know that, I'm betting most of the ones we see at the small school 1A level wouldn't have a clue and it wouldn't be effective.

Back