If there was no division split...

Sorry to get technical, but I believe it is 10 D2 in top 25, actually only 4 in top 15. Also, as the season goes along the rankings always get more accurate. I wish people would look at the number on far right of rankings page. RATINGS to be exact. You get a much bigger picture by that number. Example, frequently a 9th ranked team can be 45'd by a top 3 team. The top tier that people speak of frequently on this site can be from either D1 or D2. I understand your thinking here. When it is all said and done, could a D2 team actually be the best team regardless of Division. I think yes, and I think we have seen that in some years. But to wrap up, regardless of Division or Ranking the top tier each year is on a different level from average or even good 6 man teams. The split I believe is for the majority of the smaller 6 man schools. A ball club with 6 to 9 players is normally going to have big problems with a ball club that has 12 to 20. I know: an exception exist. We sometimes see a phenomenal team with very few kids that compete with anyone. This is the exception. I hated when it split into 2 divisions by the way, still prefer 1. But I also understand the reasoning. Just my thoughts on it. Not trying to start a pissing contest or anything.
All good and correct points. SizmanTechsan and I are simply expressing how depressing it is to look at two playoff brackets that have in total out of 32 first round games a handful are competitive. I salute those who managed upsets. I'm happy for them. I'm sad that this watered down format has lead to 45 point blowout victories that is, in my humble opinion, a direct result of the division split and the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that lead to it. Where I live we had a team make the Quarterfinals with 9 kids one year and 8 the next. I know that's an exception, but I also know better competition breeds better competitors. I fear what it will look like when they ex[and the playoffs, and if you doubt that happening just check out the new-for-this-year basketball playoff setup. It's not a question of if but rather when. I loved when they expanded the playoffs in '82 to two. many districts over the years have had teams who were superior stay home due to a close district loss and watched as a team they beat in non-district play their district champ in the playoffs. Two per district is good, but not so good when the Sixman playoffs have expanded to double. These teams simply can't compete.

When the split first happened I was completely against it. But as the number of schools playing sixman football keeps moving up I have come to understand the need for it. This is like saying all 2A and 3A schools should be put together. Just because both play the same type of football dosen't mean everything is equal. Mabe we should just throw out Sixman all together if a school can't field an 11man team thats just to bad. How about only taking one school from each District that would work as well. The number of kids in a school makes a big diffrents in what a school can put on the field. Just because 1 or 2 schools "might" be able to compete for the title with the bigger schools dosen't mean that they all should. A small D2 school might win state with 6-12 boys but that is all their boys 9th-12th grade. 90% don't have a JV and over 50% don't even have enough kids to run a scout team in practice. Some schools wouldn't even be able to stay healthy playing the bigger schools game after game in a playoff run. I do believe it would be interesting to have the D1 champion play the D2 champion, but thats a different discussion.

Last edited:
When the split first happened I was completely against it. But as the number of schools playing sixman football keeps moving up I have come to understand the need for it. This is like saying all 2A and 3A schools should be put together. Just because both play the same type of football dosen't mean everything is equal. Mabe we should just throw out Sixman all together if a school can't field an 11man team thats just to bad. How about only taking one school from each District that would work as well. The number of kids in a school makes a big diffrents in what a school can put on the field. Just because 1 or 2 schools "might" be able to compete for the title with the bigger schools dosen't mean that they all should. A small D2 school might win state with 6-12 boys but that is all their boys 9th-12th grade. 90% don't have a JV and over 50% don't even have enough kids to run a scout team in practice. Some schools wouldn't even be able to stay healthy playing the bigger schools game after game in a playoff run. I do believe it would be interesting to have the D1 champion play the D2 champion, but thats a different discussion.
2A & 3A already have 2 divisions... I get your argument but maybe it's time to start up 8 man again if the cutoff number keeps going up. Would keep 6 man balanced without divisions, keep the 8an teams balanced and then move up from there.

Same is true virtually every year since the division split, which I hate. It has eroded the overall competition in my opinion. Every year there are a handful of "elite" teams in the combined divisions. This year is no different. Motley County, Strawn and Richland Springs as well as Cherokee and Gordon can hang with DI schools. I think the top three are elite and would win most DI districts. Cherokee and Gordon would win some DI districts and be a playoff contender in most if not all. there are a few others who could compete in select Di districts. All the remainder would get blown out in virtually every DI district game. DI on the other hand remains highly competitive with as many as seven or eight teams qualifying as "elite' and a whole bunch more capable of being playoff contenders. I think this is because of the elevated level of competition they face. You have to play better teams to get better.
Speaking of Cherokee I just watched Oakwood have their way them this past Friday in hico! Plus Oakwood had 3 touchdowns called back. So yes some schools can play!

Speaking of Cherokee I just watched Oakwood have their way them this past Friday in hico! Plus Oakwood had 3 touchdowns called back. So yes some schools can play!
My congratulations to Oakwood on winning their playoff game after being an underdog. Not mentioning them I guess was an oversight on my part. I still don't believe they are 'Elite' and never put Cherokee in that realm.

Back